Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner Needs Direction

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Owner Needs Direction

Hello everybody,

I'm a new member and posted my intro into the new member section.

I just bought a 1989 Jaguar XJS12 in flawless condition. Itis new pearl white paint and loaded with options.

I don't even know what I have here. This is my first Jag and I only haveexperience with 1990's BMW 5 series cars. My forte' is motorcycles.

I collect, restore, and ride many bikes. My favorite brand is Triumph fromEngland.

Besides the look of my new Jag, I thought it would be appropriate to buy aBritish car to add to my toy collection. I drive a new Dodge Ram. I am not acar mechanic (but very mechanical) so I wanted something in running order thatdidn't need more then elbow grease to make it perfect. The previous owner puton new tires, muffler system, and paint. This style Jag is my favorite becauseit is "new" enough to have modern conveniences; but old enough to bea Classic. It has Classic Pennsylvania tags that I am transferring into my nameas we speak.

I have no idea what I have. Can someone tell me more aboutthe car's history. I'd like to know when this body style started, how long itlasted, and if the "S" in XJS12 means anything. What option packagedo I have, if any?

It has tan leather seats that are heated, 12 cylinders, radar detector, foglamps, spoke wheels, and came with ALL manuals, paper work, jack stand, extra spokewheel (Spare), and steering wheel. The carpet is flawless and the leather iswithout a single scratch. There is an aftermarket wood/aluminum steering wheeland the original is in the trunk. It has the wooden shifter too! It also hasfog light covers included.

Is the wood steering wheel and shifter a Jaguar optional part oraftermarket?

The car was well cared for and doesn’t need any work except to balance thenew front tires. The seller said they were properly balanced but the car mayneed to have the spokes torqued to balance the front wheels. I haven’t riddenit yet but the owner says it has a 65 mph wobble ever since he put the newtires on it.

Any advice on the "general things" to look for and/or correctwould be greatly appreciated. And is the spoke wheel problem common?

Thanks, Ray

Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 AM

excuse my typos. I cut and pasted to correct the spelling and it lumped my words together. So far, I can't edit my post yet....

Old 10-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Welcome aboard.

You should consider posting in the "XJS" section. This section is for the old-ish Jag sedans.

Anyhow......

The XJS was made from 1975-1996 so there's an awful lot to talk about. Most XJS enthusiasts are still learning about their cars even after years of ownership

If you go to the sticky threads at the top of the XJS section you'll find a buyers guide that may be of interest....even though you already own the car.

Wood steering wheel, wire/spoke wheels, and wood gearshift knob are all non-original but popular aftermarket modifications. As for wire wheels, well, some people have better luck than others.

I suggest a new "What Should I Look For?" post in the XJS section. There are some important things that, as a new owner, you should be checking on right away. Fuel hoses and ignition system to name a couple.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Will do, and thank you!

Old 10-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

There were two series of these cars, the first was those made from 1974 to about 1991, and the second series from 1991 until production stopped. As a 1989, your car is probably the best made of the earlier series.

I hate to say it, but those made under the old Jaguar company could be very badly put together and it took Ford to sort out all the problems; Jaguar never had the cash to do so. It sounds like your car was cherished by its previous owner and that is a very good thing as neglect with these cars is fatal.

The cars give a wafting, boulevard, but fast, ride that has never really been bettered, (just like the saloons with the same mechanicals). The V12 engine is poetry in motion but you'll need an account with local gas stations as fuel economy is not a strong point. If there is one car I'd like to have it is a Jaguar with a V12 engine, but fuel prices here in England are so huge it is impossible for a pensioner like me.

Here are the basics of the car on Wikipedia, but more internet searches will throw up more information.
Jaguar XJS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try this for the V12 engine information.
WELCOME TO AJ6 ENGINEERING / AJ6 Engineering

Old 10-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Welcome to the forum! If you can afford to maintain a 90s BMW, then you'll have no surprises from the XJS.

Let's see some pictures