XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner, questions on parts sourcing

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner, questions on parts sourcing

Hi all, I just bought a 92k mile 1986 XJ6 and it is in decent shape but has some issues that I am taking care of. Aside from some fuel tank problems, my first priority is brakes. According to records the rears were done a few thousand miles ago, but the fronts were done by the PO and his son. Naturally they need to be re-done as the rotors are warped and at least the right side drags a fair amount along with some seriously nasty brake fluid. I see the parts prices for remanned calipers and new rotors are cheaper on Rockauto for some of the parts store brands like Centric and A1 Cardone. I have had bad luck in the past on these brands so I would like to avoid them.
On XK's unlimited they have rebuilt calipers for $110/side and rotors/pads for reasonable prices, are these superior quality rebuilds to the other brands? If not I will probably go with Raybestos as I have had good luck with them in the past or a rebuild kit and do it myself.
Any other suggestions for vendors are welcome as well, XK's Unlimited just seemed to have the best prices at first glance.

Loving this car, especially now that I put 20W-50 in it and not the 10W-30 that was in it. That should bring the oil pressure back up to reasonable levels and quiet the valve train a bit.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2018, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

check price with SNG Barrat USA store. Brake parts are something you do not want to cut corners.

however most all these parts are made in China nowadays "to Jaguar specifications".
I have had good results with Autozone rotors for my Ford minivan, and they have a Lifetime Warranty as long as you own the car. So when they warp, and they will warp, I get new ones free.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen302
I see the parts prices for remanned calipers and new rotors are cheaper on Rockauto for some of the parts store brands like Centric and A1 Cardone. I have had bad luck in the past on these brands so I would like to avoid them.
On XK's unlimited they have rebuilt calipers for $110/side and rotors/pads for reasonable prices, are these superior quality rebuilds to the other brands?
Might be worth asking if XKs does in-house rebuilding. If not, they might simply be re-selling Cardone or Centric or some other common brand.

Coventry West does its own rebuilding and I've always had good luck with their stuff: calipers, heads, differentials, steering racks etc.

Watch out for core charges versus return shipping charges. The calipers are very heavy and expensive to ship.

Your local NAPA store can get rebuilt calipers (and lots of other stuff) for your Jag and you can thus avoid the dilemma of shipping charges on the core returns.

If not I will probably go with Raybestos as I have had good luck with them in the past or a rebuild kit and do it myself.
Any other suggestions for vendors are welcome as well, XK's Unlimited just seemed to have the best prices at first glance.
Just do lots of shopping around; Lots of places sell Jag parts. Coventry West, Pauls Jaguar, Welsh Jaguar, SNG Barrat, Motorcars Ltd, FCP Euro, and many others. Watch out for claims of "OEM Parts"....as that term is used so loosely nowadays that it really doesn't mean anything.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-13-2018, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

When time came to swap out the calipers in the rear of my car, I went shopping. I found pricing generally close. I chose the Rockauto units. On sale and no cores needed!!!! The old ones still under my bench. Why, I've not the slightest.

As to the front ones. No leaking, I did do a preemptive pad swap. I found them at the local Kragen. Now Autozone, I think. termed the professional brand. Raybestos, I think.

I did find a lot of rust and crud in the ways and pins of the front units. Cleaned and lightly lubed had to make it better....

Add to the sources.

So far just fine.

Used and NOS from David Boger's EverydayXJ. Lists here and a good guy.

Andrew Weinberg at Jaguar=specialties is not only a lump source, but stock parts. Also a good guy.

John at Johnscars is not only a source for lump kits but other stuff. see brokenkitty.
A bit irascible, but he and his guys heled me.

Carl

Old 08-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips on vendors and shipping, I'll do some calling tomorrow and get prices from some of the vendors. Worst case I'll get Raybestos or some used calipers and rebuild mine sometime this winter.
Now to order a mechanical oil pressure gauge because it looks like the PO was running this one a couple quarts low... I certainly hope it isn't too bad. There is a fair amount of clatter from the valvetrain so I will be pulling a cam cover to check that out as well.

Thanks