Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nix In Dry Dock

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts
Default Nix In Dry Dock

I have mentioned, but not in my recent thread about the flat tire (left rear), that while changing that tire we discovered it was being held on by only 4 bolts. We took off the left front tire and discovered it too had only 4 bolts.

In July, the last time we had a tire worked on over at Les Schwabb, right front tire, the fella doing the work tightened it up with a torque wrench while I was watching. He became quite tense when one bolt just kept turning and turning and finally reached the specified torque.

We know, therefore, that at least 3 of the hubs have issues with lug bolts. So tomorrow Nix will be jacked up on all 4 corners, all 4 tires removed, all 4 hubs removed, or whatever it takes, and lug bolts changed. We've never done anything like this on an IRS so it will truly be an adventure.

To make things even more interesting we have a deadline. Our Jaguar club is having a driving event September 20 and I'm to be the drive leader. But there's no pressure.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

It'll all be good Elinor.............think positive thoughts

Looking forward to the post about the meet too!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

So what are you going to do to Nix the other 29 days before the meet?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Oh,oh!!

Removing the front hubs is kinda straight forward. As I recall, keeping track of any shims to align the caliper to the rotor is the only fiddly part. Might be a good time to change the pads with or without a turning of the rotors.

Hopefully, the bots are softer than the hubs and the holes in the hubs are not 'wallowed' out.

Caveat: The rear hubs are completely another matter. I'm a bit fuzzy as to how they come together. So do some research. Not as simple as the front. But, removing them for new bolts may not be necessary. In situ may be just fine.

Might have to look to David Boger for a new pair or so.

Have you found a local source for lug studs?

Whew, looks like NIX was a victim of 'souped up" impacts in the hands of tire gorillas in her past!!!

Where did the loose lug nuts go???

Carl

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (08-27-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Jim, thank you for the encouragement and vote of confidence. We're so bummed we haven't even looked in depth to see what it will take to fix this mess. Husband found a source for longer bolts, needed because the rims have spacers, which may be part of the problem.

Clarke, there again is that rapier Aussie wit! It would indeed be a quicker job if we didn't have other responsibilities. We'll probably get her jacked up and the tires off in one evening, and perhaps get a start at assessing the extent of the damage. I've seen mention of shims on the calipers; must be a British Better Idea. Plunging into that unknown will certainly add another dimension to an already stressful situation.

Ya wanna bop on over with some of your knowledgeable and experienced friends and lend some hands? We'll provide the beer!

Carl, that is a Very good question! Where indeed are the nuts! Someone HAD to know about this, certainly the PO was aware (the more I delve into this car the less respect I have for his integrity!) and the guys who mounted these tires, the local COSTCO but there's no paper work in the car (no papers, no responsibility)!! I have absolutely NO confidence that they used a torque wrench on the nuts as it would take too much time.

If the bolts can be changed without removing the hubs that would be Just Grand, but the way other things go with this car, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in a furnace of that being the case.

Meanwhile, I'm reduced to driving Wart, the van. Lemme tell ya, that thing is a Pig!
(';')

Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ouch, spacers!!!

Three things pop into my mind.

1. One piece of metal with holes for the lugs and the center of the hub. Mebbe. A washer for each lug stud. No way!!!

2. Does the design provide for the hole in the center of the inside of the wheel to ride on a shoulder on the hub? if so, a spacer of any kind can defeat that provision and place all the load on the studs and the friction of wheel to spacer to hub.

3. Or simply studs too short and not enough lug nut to stud thread engagement.

Examine carefully!!!

Carl

Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Ouch, spacers!!!

Three things pop into my mind.

1. One piece of metal with holes for the lugs and the center of the hub. Mebbe. A washer for each lug stud. No way!!!

2. Does the design provide for the hole in the center of the inside of the wheel to ride on a shoulder on the hub? if so, a spacer of any kind can defeat that provision and place all the load on the studs and the friction of wheel to spacer to hub.

3. Or simply studs too short and not enough lug nut to stud thread engagement.

Examine carefully!!!

Carl
Thank you, Carl,
This car has taken care of me, now it's my turn to take care of her.

I understand the spacers are necessary because the tear drop rims are wider than the stock starfish rims and interfere with little things like steering and suspension. They're one piece, but sloppy fits-alls came on the car, and husband found some other fits-alls with individually drilled holes so they don't rattle around instead of Huge slots as in the cheapies. He needs to order in 2 more.

Early on in our ownership, husband found a Jaguar XJ6 Repair Operation Manual published by British Leyland. It has been Invaluable in this past year!!

This morning I found the proper sections for replacing lug bolts. Front calipers don't have to be removed! The hub is bolted to the rotor with 5 bolts and the hub is supposed to fall off in one's hand. We'll do the front first because it's "easy."

Then encouraged by that "success" we'll tackle the rear which seems to be quite more involved but not beyond our ability -- Probably. It will merely take a lot of time. But since we have a deadline we also have good motivation.
(';')