Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petrol Smell - XJ6 S1

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Petrol Smell - XJ6 S1

Hi everyone,

Have been getting a strong petrol smell in my XJ6(S1) every time I fill up the left(passenger) side petrol tank of my car. The smell is pretty strong in the cabin. Once the tank is about half empty, the smell becomes less strong in the cabin. It does appear to be a smell in boot as well. Haven't noitced any leaking anywhere. Checked the petrol pumps and they seem ok.

Anyone else had a similar problem. I gather that petrol smell are a little common in the old jags.

Cheers
Michael

Old 10-02-2017, 12:37 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I get the petrol smell in the boot, but not in the cabin. I have searched for leaks in the boot, nothing there. I just live with it.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

I also get a mild fuel smell in the boot of my S3, and faintly in the cabin, although I'd describe the smell as slightly more stale - more like a cross between fuel and exhaust rather than raw petrol. Like Clarke I just put up with it, but in my case (for the cabin) it helps to have the sunroof partly open! It's not that bad but I would love to know what the cause is.

Last edited by jagent; 10-02-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. It could be the usual smell of the car I guess.

I find it hard to tell if it's getting worse or not.

I'm not so bothered by the smell in the boot, particularly when the fuel pumps are in there, and I can see they're not leaking.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on the issue, and make sure the smell is not getting worse, and there is nothing leaking around the tanks.

Thought, I'd better add and updated photo of my old girl, whilst back on the forum.

Took a sneaky pic of my car, whilst parked on the street

Thanks again guys

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Your symptoms seem to suggest a pinhole leak in passenger side tank, or maybe the fuel sender gasket leaking if its reducing as the tank is used. I guess you can just avoid filling that tank if you arent inclined to work on it, and just enjoy the car for now :-)

Old 10-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi-
on our 71', we have/had similar issues. Check two things: first, make sure the overflow drain/vent tube at the top of the filler is not clogged. Pour some water there with the lid open and you will know in seconds if it is draining. Thin straw or small zip tie works to clear them out. NO COAT HANGERS! Second, with the trunk/boot lid open, there are holes/slots visible below the rear window. These are part of the fresh air and recirculating system. The flapper doors have pads/seals on them that wear out and deteriorate because they are fabric. A good way to tell is when you close any door or the lid, you will hear an audible "clang/cowbell" sound. Replacing them with thin flat weatherstrip works well.

good luck!
Paul

Old 10-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Three more points:

1. A lister on J-L added a small fan from a defunct desk top computer. There is a vent in the floor of the boot. Boats use something like this to vent the bilge.

2. Look under the rear valance. There are two slots that function as vents. Mine were squished flat. I managed to use a large screw driver to pry them open to very close to original shape and amazingly, not disturb the paint.

3. No untoward odors in he cabin of my car. The boot does have a mild odor of fuel. I jut don't concern myself with it. I see no danger, and I'm sensitive to fire danger. My former profession....

Carl