XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Line Fuse Location

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Line Fuse Location

I have a 1985 XJ6 and radio stopped working. I think there is an in line fuse but cannot find it.
Anyone know the location?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

there are two fuses, they will be behind the driver's side floor vent console panel.

Remove the two screws holding the black plastic vent and pull the vent. Then pull the upholstered console panel towards the engine to release it.

Attached Thumbnails Radio Line Fuse Location-s3-xj6-stereo-4.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
level 1 (04-30-2018), wildman (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

If, by chance, you can't find 'em by the vents panel as Jose describes.....look down in the area just forward of the LH ashtray. If found a few down there as well. ....as well as your power seat fuse. You might have to remove the ashtray and/or the ski slope panel.

(FWIW, I lengthened the wires and put the fuses under the cubby box on my '87 Ser III for easier access)

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
wildman (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
there are two fuses, they will be behind the driver's side floor vent console panel.

Remove the two screws holding the black plastic vent and pull the vent. Then pull the upholstered console panel towards the engine to release it.
Well I found one fuse behind the drivers panel.
Then I found 2 more under the drivers ash tray.
One of those 2 is a 2 amp and it took forever to get the holder apart.
The fuse is not good, however, I might have shaken it during removal.
There is absolutely not enough slack in the wire to put it back together without some type of special tool. I tried needle nose pliers and still did not get it.
I know when to give up and try later. I need someone with small, strong hands to reach thru the the ash try opening
They darn sure did not put that holder in a good area.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
If, by chance, you can't find 'em by the vents panel as Jose describes.....look down in the area just forward of the LH ashtray. If found a few down there as well. ....as well as your power seat fuse. You might have to remove the ashtray and/or the ski slope panel.

(FWIW, I lengthened the wires and put the fuses under the cubby box on my '87 Ser III for easier access)

Cheers
DD
I found 2 fuses under the drivers ash tray.
One of those 2 is a 2 amp and it took forever to get the holder apart.
The fuse is not good, however, I might have shaken it during removal.
There is absolutely not enough slack in the wire to put it back together without some type of special tool. I tried needle nose pliers and still did not get it.
I know when to give up and try later. I need someone with small, strong hands to reach thru the the ash try opening
They darn sure did not put that holder in a good area.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

you might check that one of those is not the fuse for the driver's seat adjustment motor.

check the seat movement to see if it works.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:27 PM

you might check that one of those is not the fuse for the driver's seat adjustment motor.

check the seat movement to see if it works.
Seat still works; so hope thr one I can't get back together is the radio

Old 05-17-2015, 06:31 PM

By the way, when I turn the radio on, the antenna goes up.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

ok, then your radio has 12v power.

What color is the wire in the fuse holder that you can't undo? If the wire is white/pink, that is the seat motor fuse.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:21 AM

ok, then your radio has 12v power.

What color is the wire in the fuse holder that you can't undo? If the wire is white/pink, that is the seat motor fuse.
The wire is solid red.
I got it apart, just going to have trouble getting it back together

Old 05-18-2015, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

the wire might be pinched somewhere, trying to work from the ashtray opening is impossible, normally you remove the console complete panel with the ash trays attached.

first remove the center console lid complete with the chromed hinge (the hinge in the back of the lid), then remove the lid catch by prying it carefully, then remove the black plastic tray.

then you remove the shifter knob by unscrewing both halves in opposite directions of each other,

then you disconnect all the switches from the rear of the ski slope labeling them one by one, then you remove the one screw at the front top of the ski slope, then you can carefully lift the console panel.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:44 AM

the wire might be pinched somewhere, trying to work from the ashtray opening is impossible, normally you remove the console complete panel with the ash trays attached.

first remove the center console lid complete with the chromed hinge (the hinge in the back of the lid), then remove the lid catch by prying it carefully, then remove the black plastic tray.

then you remove the shifter knob by unscrewing both halves in opposite directions of each other,

then you disconnect all the switches from the rear of the ski slope labeling them one by one, then you remove the one screw at the front top of the ski slope, then you can carefully lift the console panel.
I did try removing the console lid
I got that off without a problem
Then I tried to remove the console tray. It feels like something is holding it
I have removed all screws including the one in the face.
The back part is loose but there is a lot of resistance at the front of the tray
Any ideas ?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The front of the tray is held firm by the latch.

Foggy memory here but as I recall the only way to remove the latch is to gently pry it out.....and hope you don't break it. Jose might have a better idea.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

yes, you need to pry off the lid catch before the tray can be removed, a pita to remove.

I have used two very thin flat screwdrivers, pushing one under one side of the catch, then pushing another under the other side, 2 switchblades or kitchen knives work nicely. It is held in place by a "spring" tensioner, same principle as the fuel tank switch and the other three panel switches.

if you break it, go to any Maytag appliance store and get a Clothes Dryer catch, it is the same part except white, but maybe they have them in black.

Attached Thumbnails Radio Line Fuse Location-xj-console-catch-01.jpg   Radio Line Fuse Location-xj-console-catch-02.jpg   Radio Line Fuse Location-xj-console-catch-03.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 05-18-2015 at 08:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
level 1 (04-30-2018)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
The front of the tray is held firm by the latch.

Foggy memory here but as I recall the only way to remove the latch is to gently pry it out.....and hope you don't break it. Jose might have a better idea.

Cheers
DD
Thanks guys
Will give at a try

Old 05-18-2015, 05:28 PM

well I replaced every fuse I could find; still no radio

Old 05-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

I just do not think the radio fuse would be located under the ashtray in a 1985 which was most likely built in 1984.

is your car a Vanden Plas? if yes, the red wire is for the rear seat's cigar lighter, not for the radio.

you said that when you turn the radio ON the antenna goes UP, then you do have power to the radio. The secondary radio wire is for radio memory.

can you post a picture of your radio?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Tar
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

In my '87, the fuse for the radio is in fact under the console just ahead and left of the shifter. It was a two-amp fuse on a red wire. I read somewhere that newer radios do better with a 10-amp, so when I installed my Blaupunkt, that is what I replaced it with.

Most modern radios have a 10-amp blade fuse in the back of the radio unit itself. I'm sure you've checked it already, but thought I'd mention it

Andrew.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:04 PM

It is just an XJ6.
I am going to try to post a picture.
I have a feeling there is a fuse behind the drivers panel I am not finding.

1985 Radio

Old 05-19-2015, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

yes, that is a 1985 factory radio, same radio I have in my 1984, connects the same way as the 1983-1984 radios, (Andrew, there is no blade fuse in the back of this radio). The fuses are contained in two separate fuse holders, one for 12 volt power with ignition, one for constant 12 volt power for radio presets memory. Two plugs connect the radio, one plug for speakers, one for 12 v power and antenna. Then there is a Ground Strap connected by a phillips bolt to the rear of the radio, and last is the antenna plug inserted to the back of the radio.

wonderful car by the way.

at this point I would remove the console panel, a/c controls knobs and panel, and remove the radio for a closer inspection, then you can study and inspect the harness and folow the wires to and from.

try to not break the radio's outer edge plastic frame, it breaks easily. It is the first thing you need to remove before the a/c controls and panel.

Last edited by Jose; 05-19-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Radio Line Fuse Location