XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing entire center console question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing entire center console question...

Hi guys,

I'm planning on taking out the center console to patch my transmission tunnel, and add some modern sound-proofing material. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the sucker.

I've removed the "slope" panel, which has the hole for the shifter as well as the window switches etc and the little lid & tray. I also removed a pair of screws that are towards the back seat.

I have removed the driver's seat for easier access -- what other screws am I missing? Should the entire unit just pull up, or are there more bolts that are obscured by foam insulation/carpet?

Thanks in advance!

Tyler

Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From memory there are two screws up by where the radio is, but still in the vertical plane, the rear ashtray/window switch bit of trim, and I think (but I'm not sure) that you should be able to pull it up from the back and slide it out? Last did this years ago so I'm a bit rusty on the operation.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

there are two chromed screws at the rear edge of the center console, and once you remove the plastic center tray's 6 screws, (you first remove the hinged cover before removing the plastic tray), there are four more screws below over two brackets in the transmission tunnel.

The radio has to come out first, and for the radio to come out first, you have to remove the a/c controls panels first. Then comes the disconnection of the rear window switch plugs which should be first too.

the top center section panel, where the trip computer is, has to come out first, there are two screws at the bottom edge of that panel, and there are two screws to remove behind the panel where the computer is, those have to be removed first.

HINT: start by removing the ski slope panel, then the a/c controls panel, then the radio, then the vertical trip computer panel, so you need to go front to back. Everything is done first.

the way I did mine, I labeled everything as I disconnected each wire with little white labels and clear tape over them because there are so many wires and other things to disconnect and later put back, you will never remember where all of them go, even if you are Einstein.
Remember the Law of Relativity: "If anything is going to go wrong, it will".

If you want to make the job easier, remove the front seats first. You will find out why when you're removing everything else first.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of work. I tried taking mine out a couple years ago and got held up around the radio - I guess it has to come out, too.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys for the help -- yep, managed to get it out. it's a HUGE pain in the ***. I'd have to say its one of the most labor intensive jobs you can do in the cab (aside from removing the dash).

center bucket, ski slope, dash center cluster, radio all have to go, or be tweaked to access the final 4 bolts that hold the center console assembly to the side molding trim. hopefully won't have to do that job ever again!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

this shows you how much hand work went into these cars when they were being manufactured. They were literally hand-made and the center console from the rear window switches to the trip computer is the "nerve-center" of the car, so it's like doing surgery.