Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reviving '74 XJ12

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:02 PM
7D4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving '74 XJ12

This old V12 has been parked for decades so I expected to find "turpentine" in the tanks. Instead they were bone dry and the pumps would keep running. Put 3 or 4 gallons in each tank so the pumps stop--usually.

It seems that the fuel pumps stop when given a voltage boost (above 13V). I noticed that each pump has two motors on it, but not all of the motors are electrically connected and there are loose wires nearby. Owner claims it ran fine like that. Really?

I can hear gas dribbling in the tank when one of the pumps is running, but when I remove the slotted screw caps on the fuel lines at the carbs nothing comes out and it is dry. (4 Stromberg carbs.)

Do I need to prime these pumps? Did running them dry ruin them? What tells the fuel pump to stop?

Old 09-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Why not post this in the forum for your car, which can be found in Classics XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II, and II. There are plenty of experts in there currently running these cars. I have to say, though, that your fuel supply system looks to be in a mess and needs some investigation and repair. It sounds like your car has the in-tank fuel pumps, but I may be wrong. You can't get spares or even new pumps now, so external ones have to be plumbed in.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:51 PM
GGG
Received 16,769 Likes on 12,156 Posts

Welcome to the forum 7D4,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 09-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

check out Carter P72190 in tank pump. lots of after market providers carry it. I think the original part # was 2910342.

if you know the GPH and pressure you need, call Carter fuel systems, talk to an engineer, they will help you.

that's what I did.

geneo

Old 09-05-2017, 04:23 PM
7D4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These have 2 huge external pumps which are still available. (It would have been difficult for me to describe them if they were inside the tanks. )