Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Coupe sub frame mounts and engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts
Default S2 Coupe sub frame mounts and engine mounts

I just purchased a pair of front sub frame mounts and engine mounts. Any ideas about the best way of replacing them? I only have a hydraulic jack. Where do I place it? What kind of pressure points to lift or lower the sub frame, etc. Appreciate the help.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails S2 Coupe sub frame mounts and engine mounts-0612161201.jpg  
Old 06-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Sub frame mounts are easy.

The rear mounts can be done one at a time. With the car on the ground resting normally, loosen the lower bolt, then jack up the body of the car using the front jack point on the body. It will only take about 1 inch of travel to get to the two top bolts and then on to replacing the mount. Re bolt the top and then lower the car on to the mount and bolt it down. Then move on to the other side.

Front mounts... One side at a time. Simply loosen up the large mount bolt, and drift it out. Use a jack on the body to support and balance it so the bolt come out with little effort. Then undo the mount clamp in the sub frame and replace the mount. This will take some effort because the mount body usually rusts to the sub-frame.

Many ways to do the engine mount but I loosen one mount at a time. Then I use an engine crane to lift the engine just enough to remove the mount. Replace the mount, lower the engine, re-fasten and move on to the other side.

I happen to have an engine crane, if you dont have one, perhaps someone will chime with another way. Engine cranes can be borrowed, rented, bought new...used...stored and resold when no longer needed for a low net cost.

Last edited by icsamerica; 06-22-2016 at 09:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Engine mounts

Can I accomplish the same thing of lifting the engine by hacking it up under the oil pan to do the engine mounts?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
Can I accomplish the same thing of lifting the engine by hacking it up under the oil pan to do the engine mounts?
I'm not a fan of jacking up an engine by the oil pan. Personally I wouldn't do it.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

Jacking up via the sump or oil pan if you prefer, puts a crush load onto the gaskets at the very least. This can lead to oil leaks! As if they don't have enough already.