Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell me on the S3 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Sell me on the S3 XJ6

Hi Guys, just looking for some advice and the benefit of your experience. I'd like to buy an XJ6 of some sort and am wondering if a Series 3 is the way to go, as a summer car that will see 5,000km per year.

I put 100,000km on a '95 XJ6 so I know the ride and handling of those well enough. Here's my real question: what would I be missing out on by getting an XJ40 or another X300 instead of a Series 3?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only tell you my experience with my limited time with the SIII XJ6.

The good:
At highway speeds it handles like a dream, like you're floating above the road...smoooottthhh
Comfort of the interior is top notch, like you're transported to England driving through the countryside
The exterior styling draws attention from everyone, a real head turner for sure...gorgeous!
If you are knowledgeable with auto mechanics it's easy to fix (as an example I just replaced my starter and my only prior experience was with changing oil)
Parts are cheap and tons of donor cars out there (everydayxj is the place to buy tons of replacement parts at a fantastic price)

The Bad:
If you want a cheap one you will be putting $$$ into it to get the reliability you desire
If you want a reliable one to start with you will be paying $$$
Rust, if it's not from a dry climate area...look for rust
Resellability...you'll probably lose a bunch if you decide to sell (but I guess this goes for every car one buys)

I'm sure there's more in the bad column, but I bought a pretty decent '85 and not much to complain about.

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

"The most modern of all antique automobiles"

The Ser III has a touch of olde world. A real charmer :-).

You have a strong sense of being snug, cozy, and secure while driving...a sort of "this car will take care of me" sensation. That's *real* comfort ....very different from the type that comes from having a couple dozen electronic so-called "luxury" gizmos whirring, flashing, and beeping.

Gorgeous looks, very solid and stable on the road, built like a tank, no complex electronics, most repairs well with DIY territory. With a little effort (or, sometimes, lots of effort) can be made very reliable.

However, the "olde world" part includes fuel economy, power/acceleration, transmisson shifting, etc. You'll be aware that you're driving an elderly design but most agree the positives outweigh the negatives.

I drove one for many years. Hope to own another some day.

Cheers
DD

Mkii250 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 AM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The look of the car overcomes most of the pitfalls. Just gorgeous, universally admired. But do check for rust and presume that any little bubbles of corrosion under paint are a lot bigger than you think. Get a good spec. Trying to make an entry level xj6 3.4 look like a sovereign or vdp will cost more in the long run. They are not the easiest on fuel, but are mechanically pretty straightforward. Get a good one on song and there are few cars to touch them. Mine steals the show amongst my other cars. Even non car people love it. Recommended.

Mkii250 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Great input--thanks gentlemen.

When I was a kid my dad took me to the Toronto Auto Show every year. And every year, Jaguar brought the same (to my eyes) cars. I felt a little embarrassed for them, beautiful though the cars were. Other makes redesigned their cars from time to time, but not Jaguar.

Mine is a case of "familiarity breeds comtempt" becoming "distance [time] makes the heart grow fonder," and I'm looking at the S3 cars again.

The one thing that niggles at me is that rear crank seal made from a piece of string. Is it something to be concerned about?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250

The one thing that niggles at me is that rear crank seal made from a piece of string. Is it something to be concerned about?

Only if it's leaking excessively

Even then, cleaning the breather system (almost always neglected) usually turns a big leaks into a small one.

And no need to worry about finding a Ser III (or any Jag with the old XK engine) without *any* oil leaks, either. I doubt any exist, now or 25 years ago.

Cheers
DD

Mkii250 (07-30-2014)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

My 83 Xj is one of my all time favorites of all the cars I've owned from 1946 or so to present. It still draws attention in a park lot when clean and shined up.

My daughter came over yesterday and made dinner. Ciopino and potatoes with a great salad. We were joined by her friend. An attorney with an office nearby. She is definitely not a car person. But, always asks as to the Jaguar. It's cleanliness and color amaze her. She must have some in her genes as her late Dad fussed with older Volvo's.

Yeah, get the best one the budget will allow. But, you gotta like the exterior and interior colors. If you don't any other failings will be magnified. The converse is equally true.

I refer to mine as English elegance with an Italian touch driven by American power.

Were it not for an unforseen engine calamity, early on in my stewardship, it would still be English powered.

Carl

Mkii250 (07-30-2014)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default Great send off.

Watch this, it's a great send off for a great car.

The following 3 users liked this post by icsamerica:
LnrB (07-30-2014), Mkii250 (07-30-2014), Saemetric (07-30-2014)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

No thanks the Top Gear blokes or guys are i....'s. Especialy the USA version. One part of an episode was forenough me. Never again.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

A later Series 3 will be better made. If you want to be really bold, the V12s were made right up to 1992.

Avoid any made in 1979-81 as these were the worst years for build quality. Having said that, I had my 1980 for 14 years, although I had to progressively put right everything that Jaguar had not done properly. These cars are very seductive mistresses !! I only sold it because I got a company car with a change of company ownership.

Alternatively, find a Series 1 or 2 that has been rebuilt. The 4.2 blocks are notorious for cracking between the bores and then blowing head gaskets. This can only be cured by fitting lipped cylinder liners, and expensive job. Later blocks were "slotted" and didn't crack. Nobody seems to knwo when the slotted blocks were introduced, but it was around 1981 or 82, I think. You can stll get HGF, but it's much less frequent, and the car will do bigger miles before it occurs.

Everything said here about the ride and ambience is all true.

Mkii250 (07-30-2014)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Watch this, it's a great send off for a great car.

DAIMLER XJ 12 LAST ROAD TEST TOP GEAR - YouTube
Oh great now I want to save every SIII I can find.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My 84 when it blew didnt have a slotted block, but put in a lipped sleeves and i am planning on having a long and luvin relationship,

i bought my 84 Xj6 SIII 6 years ago ...with the split block nice and cheap, after a full rebuild, interior restored to its original luster and then sending the car of to malaysia for a complete bare metal stripdown and repaint in tudor white.

i would say i have spent around 20k excluding servicing of course only regret i have was not going for the v12 ....but i reckon it would have cost me alot more on the rebuild

but other than that it is my daily drive and has never let me down in the 6 years that i have had her and its one head turner!

Mkii250 (07-31-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

I'd just like to finish this off by saying thank you again for the raves about the SIII; I bought a 1986 Sovereign with 49000km (<30000miles) and now have about $6000 CAD into it total including taxes after going over the fuel delivery system, installing new speakers, some exhaust work...but it's a fine car and parts of it look like they have never been dirty.

Fortunately for me, the original owner's estate certified the car a year ago which meant new Pirelli P4s, battery, head liner, brakes...a great expense that wasn't passed along. Since then it has covered 9000 km (5625 miles) and NOTHING LEAKS!!! How could it be? And the AC is cold but not updated to R134?? Anyway, I have read warnings about buying older, low-mileage Jags and, though those warnings are logical, I have now bought two and they are both are like five-year-old cars.

Other than the crackled TPA paint on the hood/bonnet and roof/hood, the worst cosmetic feature is the cracked and peeling veneer on the centre console and the horizontal bits above the radio. I'm going to strip and re-cover those in leather. I'll actually attempt to make a new console panel (that holds the ashtrays and gear lever) out of thin plywood, replace the ashtrays with cupholders, and cover with leather. If that is successful, I'll put pics in a new thread.

Incidentally, I think the veneer peels off these areas first because they're backed by aluminum or steel (not sure which) which would expand/contract more than the plywood behind the main dashboard where the veneer stays put longer.

P.S. I am totally open to suggestions for the colour of the leather I should use. I have assumed black but maybe there's something more interesting, or maybe vinyl is better? Please throw anything forward.

Attached Thumbnails Sell me on the S3 XJ6-1986-sovereign.jpg   Sell me on the S3 XJ6-cracked-wood-1.jpg  

Last edited by Mkii250; 07-31-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Agreed! I've never heard anyone say this before but this is definitely how it feels.

Originally Posted by Doug
You have a strong sense of being snug, cozy, and secure while driving...a sort of "this car will take care of me" sensation. That's *real* comfort ....

LnrB (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely cozy though lots of leg room in the back. And if you're tall enough, the view over the bonnet is beautiful.

I like the old Borg Warner 66 automatic too. It shifts nicely and has a smooth, solid feel. The car can do 80km/h in first if you shift manually Once in a while.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:07 AM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Nothing leaks?!?! You have found the mythical xk engined jag that has no leaks! But seriously, Congrats on the purchase you wont regret it. Beautiful motorcar.

Mkii250 (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jjd
Nothing leaks?!?! You have found the mythical xk engined jag that has no leaks! But seriously, Congrats on the purchase you wont regret it. Beautiful motorcar.
haha probably everything will leak after a winter lay-up. For now, fingers crossed, she's being stingy with her fluids. I have already noticed that she's relaxing to drive, even in traffic. I just don't care how long it takes to get from A to B in the XJ6. About my "new" XJ6, she's not as pretty underneath as she looks in the photo. I think she lived on a gravel road under original ownership. There is surface rust (eg. the rear trailing arms have no paint at all) and there's gravel sitting on everything horizontal, wheel arches, suspension bits...so I have some cleaning up to do and am looking at getting some POR-15 paint.

Last edited by Mkii250; 08-03-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250
[...]
I have already noticed that she's relaxing to drive, even in traffic. I just don't care how long it takes to get from A to B in the XJ6.
[...]
Greg, I think I've seen those same sentiments from Clarke, and probably others. I share them as I use Any excuse to drive my car, just to be pampered by an automobile and not have to do battle with it to get to my destination.
(';')

Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

I like how easy they are to drive in modern traffic--not true of many classics. My old diesel Mercedeses (?) were almost dangerously underpowered in some situations, tho I love 'em for many reasons.

I bet yours (Lnr) is even better with its extra power. Is it carburetted or fuel injected? How many gears are in your transmission?

Last edited by Mkii250; 08-04-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:01 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by jjd
Nothing leaks?!?! You have found the mythical xk engined jag that has no leaks!
I nearly have one of those mythical creatures,just the smallest leak at the back of the cam covers. I would call it more of a seep than a leak.
But the trans leaks like a sieve around the sump gasket, I am going use this advice from Grant for both of the above leaks.

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Forget the gasket/s.

I gave up on them long ago on all my V12's.

The pan of the trans was the first.

Make up 2 or 4 studs, with a slot in the end, to insert in some of the holes in the trans case face. These are to "guide" the pan into place in a straight direction as versus a sliding motion, to line up the holes.

This has ceased those incessant oil leaks that have annoyed me for many years with the XK and V12 engines.

Even the camcover gaskets have been eliminated with the use of RTV only.

Quick Reply: Sell me on the S3 XJ6