XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 1 BW12 gearbox mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Received 259 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Series 1 BW12 gearbox mount

Put the engine back in my Series 1 today. Problem is I cannot work out how to assemble the gearbox mount.
Photos below, the question is does the new rubber "cotton reel" have to be pushed through the hole in the plate? or does it just sit in the middle? I cannot see how either way is correct, pushing the rubber through the hole will be very difficult, leaving it out serves no purpose and it will be compressed heavily to get on. The SC catalogue supposedly shows a rubber mount (part 9 in the link) https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/brit...gearbox.html#7
My parts catalogue for the car only shows one bush, where I have 2, and no large shaped washer. I am very confused
In the photo below, the old bush is the pink thing - no flanges on it but they may have distintegrated.
Perhaps I have been supplied the wrong part??

Any help appreciated.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Received 10,308 Likes on 6,819 Posts

OK, its been years, and I mean MANY.

Bush goes through the plate, from the top, and a liberal coating of lube, rubber grease, is required.

Pin threads into trans, you know that.

ONE sleeve slide UP the pin, then that "special" washer, (the SMALL one) then the 2nd sleeve.

Then that stepped looking washer, small diam up against teh bush, then the plate, then the nut.

The sleeves/spacers set the "crush", so do it up tight.

ONLY catch:

When you bolt that big plate to the car, allow the trans to sit down on that plate/spring, and then carefully wiggle that plate on its slots until that pin is DEAD CENTRE, then tighten that plate to the body, and continue with the sleeves and so on I mentioned above.

I have a write somewhere in this computer, and will edit this thread when I find it.

OK 5th coffee has waved its magic, and its 43c, and all I found is the V12 write up, AND, a parts drawing of the 6cyl mount. Both are attached, and clearly show the order of assembly, as YES, that bush (Cotton Reel) pushes through from the top, and a real PITA to do so.

Have fun.

WELL,that went pear shaped, the parts drawing has ended up on top, OOPS, and I am not clever enough to move it, but I think you get the idea.

Gotta luv this Mature Age, NOT.

Attached Files

Last edited by Grant Francis; 03-01-2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: no idea
The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 03:06 PM

Thanks Grant, though the drawing is not my mount, it does show the parts I have for the pin, whereas my parts manual drawing is tow parts short.
- see below. I am persuaded that I have to get the rubber bush through the hole now. I will warm it up and use some brake rubber grease.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:37 AM

When i did that cotton reel, I sent Wife and the Kids shopping, then I could actually verbalise what I really thought of this design, and brake fluid, silicon grease, rubber grease, dishwashing liguid, never got to the Vaseline, but there's a thought.

BEER, lots of BEER.

The 2 sleeves and the "special" washer between them is the trap that catches nearly all out. That "special" washer actually "drags" on the inner hole of the cotton reel, thus acting like a damper to stop the "bouncy, bouncy" that will be there without it, or the wrong combination.

If you are in doubt about your "special" washer, or have lost it, use a 1/2" FLAT SECTION spring washer, SWEET, and actually does a better job.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 AM

All installed today. Boiled up the rubber bush in hot water, with some rubber grease it went through after the application of considerable force!
Many thanks to you Grant, am now confident that the installation is correct - the special washer in the middle was what I was totally unaware of.

Grant Francis (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 01:28 AM

Well done.

Beers consumed = ????

The Mekon (03-04-2019)