Sponsored by:

series 1 xj6...should i or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 09:15 PM
Mhj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default series 1 xj6...should i or not

hello

im ( potentially ) new to the classic jag experience.

I have an opportunity to buy a series 1 xj6 off a long time jag obsessive ( he keeps some beauties )

it midnight blue with red leather. no rust . perfect interior. low kms and comes with salient spares ie alternator etal

$1500 aud without rego so blue slip required

im sorely tempted . indeed I may be morally obliged to buy it

however...what are the what ifs I may encounter

also.. I drive a heavily modded mx5.. 100 % reliable.. used to own a 66 dodge phoenix 100 reliable.. I am worried about reliability. should I be ?

thanks in advance for your feeback

mhj

Old 06-16-2017, 10:19 PM

Welcome aboard mhj, place some pics up if you have some so we can have a looky at this big cat! cheers Sue

Old 06-16-2017, 11:06 PM
Mhj

not a big cat...I havnt bought it yet...but a sick little rabbit...200 hp@rw.. not so interesting to the jag-o-philes perhaps

Old 06-17-2017, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

My opinion only: From what you describe it sounds like a no brainer for that price, and since it's from a Jag enthusiast it may have a better than average chance of being alright...BUT, to get more opinions here try and get some pics up, or describe in more detail e.g. Although no rust, what's the panel & paint condition, does it need any body work? Under chassis? Original 4.2 engine? Does it run / How does it run / When did it last run? Leaks? Trans shifting? Anything not working (electrics in particular)?

A properly sorted XJ can be as reliable as anything that age so long as it's been regularly and well maintained. Sounds like the alternator is going/gone, what of the remaining ancillaries? My real suspicion is the price, if it's a genuinely good example then it's a bargain, many would pay that for a junker / donor car. On the other hand, if key faults and shortcomings are known and it requires $$$$ worth of work, then at least your initial investment may be low enough to make worthwhile.

Last edited by jagent; 06-17-2017 at 12:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mhj (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 01:14 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mhj, please post an intro in the new member area when you get a moment.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/

Originally Posted by jagent
A properly sorted XJ can be as reliable as anything that age so long as it's been regularly and well maintained. Sounds like the alternator is going/gone, what of the remaining ancillaries? My real suspicion is the price, if it's a genuinely good example then it's a bargain, many would pay that for a junker / donor car. On the other hand, if key faults and shortcomings are known and it requires $$$$ worth of work, then at least your initial investment may be low enough to make worthwhile.
I agree with everything Tony said above. A well maintained XJ will take anywhere at any time, I use mine every day while the late model Jeep stays parked on the street.

My initial $2000 purchase got a car I had roadworthy & registered on the third day of ownership. The other $14000 ish is whole different story taking up the next 2 1/2 years.(while being used as a daily driver)

Last edited by o1xjr; 06-17-2017 at 02:45 AM.
Mhj (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Mhg . . . and welcome aboard. As you have already seen, you are among some keen and knowledgeable Series I fans here and, once our international members wake up (LOL), many more around the world.

I have only 3 suggestions -
  • $1500 price is only relevant to local Oz market, and seems cheap to fair; some aspects like suspension rubbers, rear brakes etc are well hidden potential added costs;
  • in any event, this is but your entry cost, and you would do well to have suitable reserve funds depending of using pro shops or keenness to learn here and DIY;
  • get VIN/engine/trans numbers . . . needed for ordering parts . . . then go to Stickys here to download all relevant to your car, and use forum tools to read up any question you intend to ask.
Best wishes,

Ken

Mhj (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 299 Likes on 215 Posts

I've owned four MX5s, & loved every one of them. So there are a few things to keep in mind regarding your potential purchase. 1. It's not as reliable as an MX5, never was, & never will be, no matter how well maintained. 2. It doesn't handle like an MX5, & never will, no matter what you do to it. It's a big old cruiser, approaching it's 50th birthday & will need to treated that way. They can be made reliable, & starting with one that's already had a lot of love is the best way to get into one. & the driving experience has it's own unique charm, which you'll never get from an MX5. If you can afford to keep both, that's probably the best way to go. I certainly wish I'd kept my SP.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Sounds like a great opportunity as described. I think the biggest enemy of or cars is rust, followed by poorly maintained cooling systems. Most other stuff is fixable and doable over time , with $ depending on your own ability to do some or all of the work. There are no guarantees and sometimes low mileage is a two edged sword. I would be surprised if you dont spend another 3-4k in the first 12 months making sure up to date, more if something decides to fail.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Mhj

Originally Posted by scatcat
I've owned four MX5s, & loved every one of them. So there are a few things to keep in mind regarding your potential purchase. 1. It's not as reliable as an MX5, never was, & never will be, no matter how well maintained. 2. It doesn't handle like an MX5, & never will, no matter what you do to it. It's a big old cruiser, approaching it's 50th birthday & will need to treated that way. They can be made reliable, & starting with one that's already had a lot of love is the best way to get into one. & the driving experience has it's own unique charm, which you'll never get from an MX5. If you can afford to keep both, that's probably the best way to go. I certainly wish I'd kept my SP.
Well done on choosing an sp. I feel your pain in regretting its sale. My mx5 is amazing loved irreplaceable and staying
We've got a dodge Phoenix being restored so I intend to run three cars. Scateboard. Land yatch . And a series one rav 4 to be practical in.
This jag is a serendipity that might match my preferences as a cruiser better than the dodge when it eventually arrives. I do like a big straight six !
If it works as a reliable and not to expensive car (ie 5 k repair is ok ten k is not.). If I can trust it to drive 6 hours and not leave me stranded. Then .. happy days

This ? Helped me crystallise my heart felt question ( as distinct from nessesary specific issues to check ) Is the jag going to be as reliable as the 66 dodge Phoenix ( 4 door Plymouth fury in Rhd for the folk from the USA) with its 318 v8.

Last edited by Mhj; 06-17-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

The more Series Is that can be kept on the road and out of the scrapyards, the better. I say "go for it".

Originally Posted by Mhj
If I can trust it to drive 6 hours and not leave me stranded. Then .. happy days

This ? Helped me crystallise my heart felt question ( as distinct from nessesary specific issues to check ) Is the jag going to be as reliable as the 66 dodge Phoenix ( 4 door Plymouth fury in Rhd for the folk from the USA) with its 318 v8.

Six hours at a time? No problem. These old Jags can be very reliable.

BUT.....

It'll take some effort and commitment from you to sort the car out first. For most of us, and hopefully you as well, that's part of the fun

Cheers
DD

Mhj (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Love my S1 but it is now very close to fifty years old... it is reliable, but I have replaced most everything on the car...
it is my only car, but I do have a near new truck.

If you can do the work yourself, have the time and money, it can be a great car.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yarpos
I would be surprised if you dont spend another 3-4k in the first 12 months making sure up to date, more if something decides to fail.
Me too. I bought my S3 for $6k, 6 months ago, as a running car. Unfortunately it didn't stay running for long, due to a clogged radiator, & getting back on the road has just gone past the $5k mark. Mind you it's going to be a fully sorted beastie by the time it turns a wheel again, & $12k for a sorted XJ6 isn't too bad, I reckon

Mhj (06-17-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Will it be as reliable as a Dodge 318 that will probably run forever on kerosene? No

Will it be pretty good if you look after it ? Yes

Will there be surprises along the way? Probably

If you dont buy it would you please refer him to me?

Mhj (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 05:00 AM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos
If you dont buy it would you please refer him to me?
+1

$1500 seems too cheap given the spectrum of prices ive seen asked for nice series 1 jags $5000-15000.

with that in mind you either have a steal or a project and without more info/ pics its more probable that its a project.

If you love xj6's and are prepared to spend some money when the need arises, go for it $1500 is a good starting price (As long as there is no major issues). If youre looking for a instant daily ride then i would keep the mx5.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

So, Mhj, just to broadly confirm the general agreement . . . here is a typical '72 SWB listing currently on Gumtree, priced @ $4,700. It is unregistered also, been living outside under a cover but rust has started at rear screen and lower door. Running rough and needs TLC. In my view, too much money, but makes yours sound too good to be true.

I won't bother putting my hand up if you pass on it . . . because I think this what our US friends call a "no brainer", especially if you can keep both it and your little buzz rocket. Use the latter as your daily and get to know and enjoy what "grace, space and pace" is really all about. Faces are turning green with envy all across Oz. Go for it!

Best wishes,

Ken

Attached Thumbnails series 1 xj6...should i or not-series1-xj6.jpg  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

k'noath Ken!

cat_as_trophy (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

Ah Gary, Gary . . . you have been much on my mind -

I keep tripping over this '82. Not what our OP is looking for perhaps, but I keep wondering if $500 would see you snap this up. Local, mate.

Pic suggests 1 or 2 loose ends to attend to - <1982 XJ6 in Atherton>

Cheers,

Ken

Attached Thumbnails series 1 xj6...should i or not-series2-xj6.jpg  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

One or two????

My S3 was in a similar condition in my garage for quite a time. Well, the seats remained in place.

I found a good place for the bonnet was roof top, but, unlike the picture, up side down. A nice wooly blanket protecting the finish of both bonnett and roof. I used it as a store place for components to go back into the engine bay. Light ones only. No big stuff.

Carl

Old 06-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Ken. It does look like it'd be worth a $500 punt, if just for a spares car. But my sheds are full. Though I might take a look at it the next time I'm shopping in Atherton.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Ah Gary, Gary . . . you have been much on my mind -

I keep tripping over this '82. Not what our OP is looking for perhaps, but I keep wondering if $500 would see you snap this up. Local, mate.

Pic suggests 1 or 2 loose ends to attend to - <1982 XJ6 in Atherton>

Cheers,

Ken
Well well well! Serendipity works in strange ways. Doesn't it Ken. I filed the above info under possibly useful & planned to look at the car the next time I'm in Atherton. But a phone call from my long suffering Wrench, informing me that the $500 motor I've just spent large amounts fitting to my BOAT, wasn't making good oil pressure, & from the rattles the old girl was making, probably won't until many more dollars are spent on it. So this car, with a recently rebuilt engine & trans, for under a grand, just down the road from me, is like a gift from Heaven. I can't hear it running due to an electrical gremlin ( it comes with a new wiring harness). & I'm hoping to get my Mechanic to find time in his hard pressed schedule to come & take a look at it, & hopefully get it running. Before shelling out more good money after bad. But I'm cautiously hopeful, which is better than the depths of despair I was plunged into after my Wrench's call. So thanks for that Ken. I owe you one.

cat_as_trophy (06-22-2017)