XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

series III front running lamp replacement?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default series III front running lamp replacement?

My 1986 Daimler Double Six has little bayonet type lamps in the turn signal lamp housings that come on with the running lamps but the right one is out. I can feel it from the back through the opening for the turn signal lamp but can't get two fingers in there to take it out. I tried removing the screws in the front lens but the lens does not want to come out of the bumper cover and I was afraid I might break it if I pried very hard on it.

Any of you Euro guys know how to change this little lamp? Does the front lens come off? or does the lamp housing come out the front or the back of the bumper? It is not a big deal, but I am trying to make everything on this 64K mile car work and it bugs me.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

You should be able to reach the lamp socket from behind and give it a quarter-twist to release it from the lamp housing.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...tor-lamp-front

If that isn't possible, for whatever reason, the signal/park lamp can be unscrewed from the bumper and pulled straight outward to give easier access to the socket. Sometimes the lamp housing is stuck in place....some gentle prying and wiggling should let it come free

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
You should be able to reach the lamp socket from behind and give it a quarter-twist to release it from the lamp housing.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...tor-lamp-front

If that isn't possible, for whatever reason, the signal/park lamp can be unscrewed from the bumper and pulled straight outward to give easier access to the socket. Sometimes the lamp housing is stuck in place....some gentle prying and wiggling should let it come free

Cheers
DD
Thanks, Doug,

Interesting that the diagram at that link shows only the flasher lamp. The turn signal lamp socket in the DD6 does do the 1/4 turn thing and comes out the back, but the little bulb's socket is inside and does not appear to be removable. (maybe someone can tell me if it can be pried out the back? Or maybe pushed out the back from inside?) I'll spray something around the lens edges to see if I can work it loose.

I checked my 85 Sovereign (originally German) and it doesn't have the little lamps - just the turn signal flasher lamps like the diagram. However, my 85 parts Sovereign (don't know where it originated) does have the little lamps and they are in rubber covered sockets that do come out the back with a 1/4 turn; well one side has - the other one was broken out. I'll try removing the one from the parts Sovereign - not as big a deal if I should break it.

It is interesting that both 86s have the little marker lamps but in different housings while the 85 doesn't have the marker lamps. All three have Euro front bumper covers - must be different strokes for different markets.

Photos below - 86 DD6 on the left, 86 Sovereign on the right - the Sov will have to have a PB Blaster soak for awhile for the lens screws to come out if they ever will.

Attached Thumbnails series III front running lamp replacement?-xj12-front-turn-lamp.png   series III front running lamp replacement?-100_4343.jpg   series III front running lamp replacement?-100_4347.jpg  
Old 10-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Interesting! Yes, probably some market-specific lighting requirements.

I've been thinking of some lighting modifications along the same lines. Guess my ideas are not very original.

Cheers
DD