XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go for it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Should I go for it?

I found a 1974 Jaguar XJ12L online (I dont remember where online). It has been in the same family since 1976. The mother was the main driver, and she died 5 years ago, so the car has been sitting in a dry barn for 5 years. He is asking 2,000 dollars. He says the floor pans and rocker panels are sound, without rust. There is one spot by the headlight, which can easily be fixed. It is white/red in color. My only problem is getting her home. I am in Delaware, and the owner is in Massachusetts. I dont have a truck or trailer, so it will cost about 450 to ship via semi. They are not sure if the engine runs, but I told them not to try until they replace ALL fluids. Brakes are seized, but he will try to get them fixed (probably calipers sticking to disks). So what do you think? should I do it?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Understand that this is a money pit. You won't get your $$ back out of it. It's a Series 2 car, so some of the pieces are getting much tougher to find. They are cool cars, but just think of the $2K as a down payment.

Don't mean to scare you off, just go in with your eyes open.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:07 PM

Im not doing it to get a perfect car. I am buying this as a basic project car. One that does not need a TON of work, yet still will keep me in the garage.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The line from an 50s country-western song might make a good answer...

"If you've got the money, honey, I've got the time"

:-)

Since you know ahead of time that it'll be a project I say "go for it".... but count on refurbishing every sub-system on the car.

If it were me in your shoes I'd mentally prepare for $5000 to make it mechanically roadworthy, assuming DIY labor....and assuming no internal engine work.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 PM

I dont think there should be TOO much on the internal engine part, alot of TLC, but not too much engine function wise. 5,000 sounds good to me! But I would not stop there. Plan on going all the way! Does anyone have any advise on what to look for, or what to watch out for?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004x-type
I dont think there should be TOO much on the internal engine part, alot of TLC, but not too much engine function wise. 5,000 sounds good to me! But I would not stop there. Plan on going all the way! Does anyone have any advise on what to look for, or what to watch out for?

Rust could be a deal breaker. Check carefully.

Since the mechanical work doesn't faze you then all you have to worry about is cometics. You can spend $5000 very easily on paint and chrome. How's the interior? New wood, leather, carpet, headliner....another $4000-$5000. Of course, it might not need a full re-do. Its the leather that runs into the big money.

RTLL

Old 01-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004x-type
I found a 1974 Jaguar XJ12L online (I dont remember where online).
So what do you think? should I do it?

This does not make much sense.

My answer is to try & find the car again. No sense in askin' about it if you cannot even remember where you saw it.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:03 PM

The reason I cant find it is that I found it a few months ago, and the owner just now contacted me about the car.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 PM

Pauls jaguar in Florida can get me a whole NEW set of original Jaguar interior for around $2,000. Its brand new, From jaguar, from the 70's and 80's. In the 90's they bought out the entire inventory of interiors from Jaguar, so its like going back in time, grabbing the seats from a car on the showroom, going back to the future and putting it in my car. Its pretty awesome.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:06 PM

And the wood does not need to be replaced, rather re finished. So not as pricy as totally replacing it. Plus if what he sais is correct, then the interior does not need to much. I just need to use my connolly leather conditioner and cleaner on the seats, to bring them back up to snuff

Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series II Restorations

There is a ton of support available for the more 'classic' Jaguars on the net. Just about every needed part is available and not as expensive as one might expect.

The only real issue with these cars, as mentioned previously, is rust. A small bubble often turns out to be a lot of work once uncovered. Areas to look for are: paint bubbles around the windscreens, rust in the fender (wing) bolt access area behind the front wheels, front spash guards, heaslight areas and the rear wheel wells. Most of the sheet metal is available, but, just be prepared to do some welding to make it right.

Value, well, that depends. Sure you could put $20k into it and be lucky to sell it for $7500, but, how many of your neighbours have a classic V12 Jag?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I would think $2000 is way too much for a 1974 non-running car. I can assure you, having had the 6 of 1980 here in the UK, they absorb money like a sponge. Note the comments here on rust, as most of it is hidden where you can't see. These cars rust almost everywhere except the roof panel.

If you want a V12, look for a much later model year, like a very late Series 3, around 1983-5, the one you are looking at is a Series 2. The last of the Series 3s were better built and had the HE (High Efficiency) engine. I know petrol is supposed to be cheap in the US, but Hey, these cars can get down to 11 mpg and that is the larger UK gallon too!!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 PM

Raven, is there any chance you could name some of the places that have parts, sheet metal and so on?

Fraser, what do you think a fair price for the car would be? I have pictures of it, I just am not sure how to put them in a message

Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

Hi 2004X-type

I would have thought an absolutely top price would be $1000 (=£640). Here in the UK, such a non-running Jaguar saloon would be worth virtually nothing. It all depends on how much rust there is in the car; if it is clean, then OK, as that means a lot less to do. However, if you are really determined then go for it. This is the book you need to keep your inspiration going and morale high: -

http://www.amazon.com/Jaguar-Xj-Comp...870979915#noop

Allow a lot of time; I restored a 1968 Mark 2 saloon starting in 1980 and it took me 7 years to complete !! Hope you would take less.

Most of the mechanical and suspension parts are still available. The Nigel Thorley book (see the Amozon link above), I have takes you through histroy of the model, especially the things to be looked at before purchase, and body condition is all, basically.

Engine is easily repairable if you have the money, gearbox lasts for ever, and the differential. Rear suspension drops down in one piece off the body mounts for an easy recondition, all parts again available, but you may have to buy from a UK supplier. As regards ball joints on the front suspension, don't use the original lower type, they are useless ! The new type fitted to the XJ40 from 1986 last for ever, and are a simple bolt-on, but will need shorter bolts (4 a side).

The XJ Series 2 were made up to 1979, when the Series 3 came along with a revised bodyshell, but most of the panels that rust are the same, in fact I used Series 2 wings when restoring my XJ6 in 1992. I did a lot of my own welding with a fairly cheap MIG welder. Beware the sills are difficult to replace. Also the chassis member that goes round the top of the inner rear wheel arch is a sod to repair. It rots at the bottom near the jacking point and this is also where the suspension arm mounts, so it is important. Rear wings also rot and need welding and leading for a proper repair. As regards lead-loading in the body, there is a lot of it, and much covers welds so you have to melt it off first before you can drill out the spot welds, (or grind the mig welds).

A killer for rust is the cross-member under the radiator, it just dissolves ! And the inner wings have a rust trap behind the shock-absorber reinforcing. The front suspension subframe is also a rust trap too, but any good one from 1968-1986 will fit, if you can find one in the US. Remember, these cars have not been made since 1986 (V12s up to 1992, but only 50 a week). I have actually seen the V12 shells being made in Birmingham, when I went on a factory visit to see the XJ40 line. This factory, by the way, was the main Spitfire fighter plane factory in WW2 and still has the camouflage paint on the outside of the walls to try and fool the Luftwaffe pilots !!

You also need a good strong jack as these cars weigh nearly 2 tonnes, and good strong stands. The engine comes out from the top and don't try it without first removing the radiator.

Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if you want more information. I have worked on just about everything on these cars, except mine was a 6 not a 12.

Fraser

Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The value of the car is what it is worth to you. I think if you check out some of the forums, that are more focused on the older Jags, you will find more interest. You have to remember that these cars were made on the other side of the pond and not as many found there way here.

The good news is that every part on that car is available in North America. Check out a few of these places for everything you need:

http://www.sngbarrattusa.com/
http://www.jagbits.com/
http://www.leapingjaguar.com/
http://www.everydayxj.com/

I have ordered parts from The top two and reveived great service and lightning fast shipping. Download SNG Baratt's catalog (free) for some great information and part number lists for everything.

There are also some great online books available free such as 'Experience in a Book by Kirby Palm'.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hi 2004X-type, it's me again, Fraser Mitchell in good 'ole England

I have just pulled out my copy of the book I mentioned, (Jaguar XJ - The Complete Companion). You really MUST buy this if you are serious about the car.

Now, here's an interesting thing.... You say the car is a 1974. Now is this the model year, or the year it was purchased in the US ? Reason I ask is this is about the time Jaguar swapped over to the Series 2 model. If the car is a Series 1, then it could be worth more as an example of a Series 1 V12 because there are so few around now, (most are now dog food cans 10 times over, or maybe part of a Jap car body, or even Russian !!).

The Series 1 model is the car as Sir William Lyons, the founder of the Jaguar car company designed it originally, he designed all the saloons from the 30s and approved the sports models done by a chap call Malcolm Sayer, an aerodynamicist. The Series 2 had to be produced because of bumper height regulations in the US, so the front of the car was changed. Inside the car lost the 7" speedo and rev counter dials and went to 5". As a 1974 car, the V12 will have carburettors so the fuel consumption is pretty awful, and can get into single figures; not a car for town jobs ! Around 1975 the V12 got fuel injection which slightly improved the fuel consumption plus it got the GM 400 auto transmission. Prior to this it was Borg Warner.

Virtually all of the mechanical parts you need are available, mainly because Jaguar never changed things unnecessarily because as a small manufacturer they relied on long production runs to reduce unit costs. Obviously some body panels are NLA and you must make up your own in some way, using the old one as a pattern, if it is still there ! Chrome work is replateable although Mazak mouldings like radiator grill, and tail light housings are difficult.

Can I suggest you ask vendors to transmit some pictures by e-mail. I can soon tell you what you have if you show me them. I have had Jaguars since 1980 (Mark 2 and then XJ6 Series 3), and have done more work on them as an amateur than I care to remember. Current car is a Rover 75, a lovely car never exported to the US. It is a 2001 2.5 V6 Auto and only cost me £4500 three years ago with 43k on it. I do still lust after a Jag though.

Regards

Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 PM

Alright, thank you soooo much everyone!! I am going to try to negotiate the price down. Fraser, Whats your email address? I will send you every picture I have. He is supposed to be sending me even more soon. There are a few things that I have noticed. The grille has been changed, and the drivers side interior door handle has been changed.