XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SI XJ6 Fuel Pump

Old 05-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SI XJ6 Fuel Pump

Now that school is out I've finally got time to delve into my project '72 XJ6. First up is the fuel system. Today I removed the fuel pumps and completely stripped and cleaned one. Upon testing it on a battery I could hear the centre go up and then upon removing the cables it weoukd go back down, so movement yes but no continuous whirring/ticking as I expected but granted it was not properly mounted and wired and was just sucking air so hopefully it's operational. I went to hook it back up and figured I'd go ahead and test if the wires were hot, and nothing. I tested both wires with a test light, and nothing. I cleaned all the connections to the ground and the clips on the positives and still nothing. I consult my literature and find the fuse box but there's no fuse for the fuel system so I guess what I'm getting around to asking is if there is some sort of relay or other fuse not behind the instrument cluster or if anyone has dealt with rewiring (which I'd strongly prefer not to have to do). Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Old 05-24-2017, 11:41 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Your pump will only have power to it if that pump is selected at the fuel tank change over switch on the dash board.
If you have the left tank selected at the switch the left pump should operate when the ignition is on and vis versa.

SI XJ6 Fuel Pump-dsc_9740.jpg

The following users liked this post:
British_Atlantic (05-25-2017)