Sponsored by:

Sliding roof panel seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Sliding roof panel seal replacement

Hello all,
I have not posted anything for a while, but I have been lurking on the forum just reading the various posts.
Now that I am back, I just have a couple of questions regarding the title topic.
I am in the process of preparing my 1985 for a repaint and I want to replace the sliding roof seal.
I read the section of the manual regarding this and I am struggling to understand what I read, so I am hoping to glean some info from those who have done this.
My question is whether I can remove the sliding roof panel alone or do I have to remove the headliner and remove the undertray also.
As per the instructions, it says in a nutshell to:
1.partially open roof
2.remove four screws from front of panel
3. lift front of panel and slide close allowing the panel to go over the roof
4. pull panel away from springs located at the rear
5. reverse procedure to install.
Before I attempt this, how do you get the panel back under the springs when installing the roof panel
I see that Jose and Darrenmb have done their seals, so maybe they can help with some info.
Another question is regarding the proper seal.
My parts manual says the seal # is BAC 3392
Welshent has a seal with part # JLM 849
When I put in the BAC # on their website nothing comes up.
What is the correct part # for the seal and which vendor did you get it from?

Old 07-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

The sliding roof panel comes out on it's own, without the undertray, and without having to mess with the headliner.

I believe I bought the replacement seal from rockauto, a URO product, but I'll see if I can find my receipt to verify. Wherever I bought it, it worked well. I used some popsicle sticks and silicone spray as suggested here in order to ease the new seal into its channel.

Also, when reinstalling, the rear side of the roof panel has tabs sticking out that slide under the springs. It takes some fiddling, and practice to attack it at the correct angle.

I recommend using a couple of layers of masking tape on the roof panel to protect the paint, both when removing and reinstalling.

Last edited by XJ6Paul; 07-13-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: supplement
Old 07-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks.
I ordered the seal and the front and rear glass outer inserts from WELSHENT.
Plan is to remove the outer inserts and tape off the stainless trim when painting car.
After car is painted I will install the new outer inserts for a clean look.
I will remove roof panel to prep and paint before installing the seal.
Delivery slated for next Tuesday.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

to remove the exterior panel, there are 4 chromed posi-drive screws on the front edge of the panel, remove those screws with the sunroof fully opened, then close the sunroof about two thirds of the way and carefully pry the panel up; Once the panel is raised upwards at the front edge, you pull the panel towards the front to disengage it from the spring catches at the rear and remove it.

the sunroof continues to operate normally with the panel off.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

@WinstonWolf and Jose: Thank you for your input. It was a lot easier than I thought. As a matter of fact it is one of the least complicated items on a Jaguar to disassemble.
On disassembly, every thing that I could see on the undertray is in mint condition, no rust so I am happy with that.
I have been reading that there is some difficulty when installing the new seal.
Darrenmb states that he broke his while trying to install. (Maybe his was sitting on the shelf for a long time)?
I read somewhere that putting the seal in warm water prior to installation makes it more pliable.
Doug and WinstonWolf say to use some form of lubricant and popsicle sticks to install.
Anyone with best practice methods for this?
Also, prior to me removing the sliding roof, it was sitting lower at the rear. Adjusting the screw under the wedge did not help much. It is about 1/8 of an inch lower than the roof.
Is it possible that the wedge is worn out and that new ones are necessary?

Last edited by sanchez; 07-15-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Yup, mine could have possibly been old, second one went on fine, but i knew not to pull too hard. Just time your time and go slow.