XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Motor Gear Available

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sunroof Motor Gear Available

Does anybody know if sunroof motor gears are available anywhere?
I think mine is shot. I can hear the motor run, but the roof will only move with "help". I don't want to replace the motor if it isn't bad.
Is it possible to "just" replace the gear?
Thanks for any help!

Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 AM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes they are available and replaceable.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

remove the rear seat Back and look at the cable and gear in operation while someone else works the sunroof switch on and off with engine running, it might be that the cable is off the cog or that the gear cover is loose.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM

Thanks Jose.
I will try to have a look this weekend if time allows.
There has always been a slight ratter coming from the roof itself when fully closed. As soon as I start to open it, rattle goes away. I also for the first time earlier this week heard a "rat-a-tat-tat" coming from the sunroof motor area. The roof would need "help" to move backwards while hearing that sound.
It would move back forward and close without issue. Now it's not moving either way without serious help, but I can hear motor running.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dale Konkol
Thanks Jose. I will try to have a look this weekend if time allows. There has always been a slight ratter coming from the roof itself when fully closed. As soon as I start to open it, rattle goes away. I also for the first time earlier this week heard a "rat-a-tat-tat" coming from the sunroof motor area. The roof would need "help" to move backwards while hearing that sound. It would move back forward and close without issue. Now it's not moving either way without serious help, but I can hear motor running.
that sounds like the worm cable is skipping over the gear, do not continue to open and close it until you inspect the cable/gear connection.

the cover or "cap" over the cable and gear serves to keep the cable and gear aligned. Make sure the cap bolt is tight.

the good news, the motor seems to be good. You might also add a little grease at the gear and cable connection.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had just seen one one ebay but it might be for an 88

Old 05-04-2015, 08:15 AM

Jose,
Thanks. You were right. The motor and gear were fine. It was the cable "cap" that became unbolted from the motor.
As is well.
Except for rattle right at the roof when fully closed. Open slightly, and it's gone.
It been that way ever since the sun roof was out to put in new headliner.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dale Konkol
Jose, Thanks. You were right. The motor and gear were fine. It was the cable "cap" that became unbolted from the motor.
As is well. Except for rattle right at the roof when fully closed. Open slightly, and it's gone. It been that way ever since the sun roof was out to put in new headliner.
super!!! you welcome. If you could record the noise and convert it to a mp3 file it would help to diagnose. The sunroof does make a "pressurized" noise when you open and close it.

how long have you owned the car? Are you familiar with how to open and close the sunroof MANUALLY ? (as opposed to using the switch).

Old 05-04-2015, 09:04 AM

Jose,
It sounds to me like that when the roof is completely closed, there is a slight amount of slack in the linkage or cable causing it to rattle. It is coming from directly under the roof. And like I mentioned, as soon as that slack is taken away, even just a quick "blip" of the switch without the roof even moving, it immediately disappears.
Yes, I do know how to manually open/close the roof. I still have that tool in my tool/jack pouch. I was using it to line up the motor gear with the cable cap this weekend.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

the cable slack could be caused by the cable having skipped over the gear by one notch.

one way to try to remedy this is to loosen the bolt and cap and try to pull or push the end of the cable over by one notch either way over the gear, (preferably pulling the cable when the sunrood is in the open position), or until the "sweet spot" is found, then replacing the cap while still holding the cable in place so it doesn't skip back or forward over the gear.

if you have the Factory Service Manual, the sunroof panel has some adjustment too.