Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wart

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts
Unhappy Wart

I know this is a Jaguar forum, but Wart has become so well known here that it just seemed like a good idea to tell everyone about this.

Wart is kinda bashed. He's broken. But you should see the other guy!

Someone tried to violate that law of physics that states two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time. I take a dim view of someone trying to share my space on the road, especially when there's Plenty of room on their own side of the line.

Fanciful account is here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...3/#post1382303

I'm sure he's is totaled; notice the slider doesn't close properly. You can see sky from inside. There's a funny sound from the CV joint too doubtless from the mud he was shoved into.

Husband now has a valid reason to look for a replacement. The problem will finding something we can agree on.
(';')

Old 01-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Another jag????

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

R.I.P. Wart, a victim of violence. Not a noble ending...

LnrB (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 PM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Elinor as I said in the other thread glad your both OK....there can always be another Wart!

LnrB (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Guys,
It does sound like a rather ignominious end, but really, Wart did pretty well given conditions at the time; rain, rumble strip full of water, high wind, dark, and then to be hit on the rear quarter like that when he was just minding his own business! But he kept me from injury!

Even though he was well and truly Stuck in that ditch, after I got him home (on a flat bed) he drove relatively well, considering about 20 pounds of mud crammed in each right tire.

As we went to town Wednesday, every time I hit a bump a bunch fell off. I stopped by Les Schwabb, told my story and asked if they could clean out the wheels. "Certainly! We can take care of that for you." So they put him on a lift, removed all his tires, cleaned the mud and crud from all the rolling bits, brakes and rotors, rebalanced the tires and sent me on my way - at no charge!

The CV joint is still hinky and something under the hood is making an odd sound. Wart is still limping along, but all the signs are there, he's getting Really Tired. It's more and more effort for him to do anything. His engine is getting more rattly, and not in a good way. That trip through the mud did some internal damage I think, and it's like a time bomb.

We got a new tail light assembly yesterday (needed to make him road legal), the body is so badly smashed back there that husband is having a hard time finding 3 points to mount it.

As soon as this storm system lets up, we'll be in search of a replacement vehicle.
(';')

Old 01-15-2016, 03:09 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Bugga,

As said "another Jag" is the obvious choice.

Maybe that V12 we touched on a loooooooong time ago.

LnrB (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 04:01 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Lots of cheap Jags out there to be had, as Grant says maybe an XJS will fill the roll.

It's black and in California. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jaguar-XJ...520&rmvSB=true

Last edited by o1xjr; 01-15-2016 at 04:04 AM.
Grant Francis (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, Wart did his job! Kept stewards safe. there can be no greater calling. Wart met it!!!

Craigs list showed a prima 88 XJ6 in nearby Alameda. $3500.
One generation up. But, as second car. No utility value at all.

Collision insurance? probably not, huh?

Get some more miles out of Wart? Or let him retire to third string?

Can't get around it, mini vans and SUV's make great day to day cars....

Durn BAAQMD offered me a grand for my Jeep. If I sell it to the local Pic n Pull!! And, yuk, they have similar cars for sale????

Again, what counts is that you and husband are OK!

Dealing with OP insurer? if I can help, yell!!!
Or, your own?

Helping daughter at present with "arrogant op and insurer"!

Carl

LnrB (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks again, Guys,

We Really need a vehicle we can bash around with no twinge of conscience; not worry about parking it out in the weather, not worry about parking lot dings, can load it up with landscaping bark, fertilizer or Sakrete, or old ladies for the "church social."

Husband wants a crew-cab pickup but that's a little too utilitarian, not to mention dealing with the extra length, GVW fees, taxes and insurance. Besides, they are scarce as hens' teeth in these parts in Any condition. They're So expensive that owners tend to hang onto them.

If I was merely itching for another project vehicle, I saw an XJS the other day, the Only example I've Ever seen that I would even consider owning. It didn't have those quarter-round tail lights (which I don't like), but had long rectangular ones - And it was a BLACK convertible! Made my heart go pitty-pat, it did! (sigh)

But alas, there's not space in the garage for another car, no matter how cool it is. Which is not to say that if I happened upon one, in the right condition for the right price I wouldn't seriously consider it, but I had a convertible when I lived in town. Out here in the Stix it makes absolutely No sense!

I looked at the eBay offering, "Great condition," but no pictures of the exterior of the car! I want to see how much rust in places I've learned to look for it.

I've been in contact with our insurance company and I'm letting them duke it out with the other person's insurance. We have yet to hear from an adjuster, I'm told because the police report said my car sustained no damage!! I've sent pictures. Lots of pictures.
(';')

Old 01-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

My former colleagues?? I was in insurance claims from 1955 to 1975!
Auto claims far from my favorite. Only workers Compensation was
worse!

No damage per police report? CHP or sheriff? Usually a big difference.
In either case, you can ask for a supplement.

If you have collision insurance, deal with your company, get a settlement and let them deal with the OP. Might even get yuour deductible back.

If no collision insurance, collection is on you!

Whoah, if causation is an issue, much more complex.

Get after your insuror Agent can help. Contact within 24 hours is
expected!!!

Chop out a chunk of a junked Wart. Cut out the bad on your car.
Weld in the part. Spot in paint. Get some more Wart miles???

Carl

LnrB (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Thanks again, Guys,

We Really need a vehicle we can bash around with no twinge of conscience; not worry about parking it out in the weather, not worry about parking lot dings, can load it up with landscaping bark, fertilizer or Sakrete, or old ladies for the "church social."

Husband wants a crew-cab pickup but that's a little too utilitarian, not to mention dealing with the extra length, GVW fees, taxes and insurance. Besides, they are scarce as hens' teeth in these parts in Any condition. They're So expensive that owners tend to hang onto them.

If I was merely itching for another project vehicle, I saw an XJS the other day, the Only example I've Ever seen that I would even consider owning. It didn't have those quarter-round tail lights (which I don't like), but had long rectangular ones - And it was a BLACK convertible! Made my heart go pitty-pat, it did! (sigh)

But alas, there's not space in the garage for another car, no matter how cool it is. Which is not to say that if I happened upon one, in the right condition for the right price I wouldn't seriously consider it, but I had a convertible when I lived in town. Out here in the Stix it makes absolutely No sense!

I looked at the eBay offering, "Great condition," but no pictures of the exterior of the car! I want to see how much rust in places I've learned to look for it.

I've been in contact with our insurance company and I'm letting them duke it out with the other person's insurance. We have yet to hear from an adjuster, I'm told because the police report said my car sustained no damage!! I've sent pictures. Lots of pictures.
(';')
I'm seeing an XJ with the rear seat and boot removed and turned into a matt black pick up truck. Not sure about the ladies to the church social, maybe paratrooper style seats down either side of the tray. No thanks required, you can always rely on me for practical options.

LnrB (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

The adjuster for our insurance called early this morning, asked lotsa questions, most of which I could answer. As I mentioned, I'm letting the insurance agents and adjusters deal with each other as that's their jobs.

If we see any money I will be surprised, given the real value of Wart. Husband worked for a couple hours yesterday trying to fit the new tail light assembly, but there's simply too much damage in that area for a quickie job. Today we rented a car for a week, which time we're going to concentrate on visiting all the car lots in the area, and scanning Craig's List for an equal replacement.

We visited one near by lot today, NO vans and very few small SUVs in the inventory. This lot made 3 we've stopped by in the past 2 weeks. They did have a Very Nice 2004 Mustang that I could have fallen in love with in a different time and under different circumstances, but it ticked almost none of the boxes on our Required List.

If we didn't already have a perfectly serviceable pickup I might take your advice, Steve, but as we do, I can ignore that. Yes, I know I can always count on you for practical suggestions at no extra charge.

We're off to a concert this evening, and to Sacramento tomorrow for the first Jaguar club meeting of the year, driving our rented Brand X, Toyota Camry. What an incredibly Boring car!! But at least it's uncomfortable.
(';')

Old 01-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

55-75 is wrong!!! Grey matter or fingers???? S/B 1955 to 2005!!!
fifty years at the fun!!!

I hope my former colleagues do right by you. I suggest you do some market research and get a firm handle of Wart's ACV in he moment before the crash.

I'm a bit confused as to letting the two adjusters work it out.
Your interests???

Key is to whether you chose collision insurance for WART,
or only BI/PD as our nanny stare requires!!!

But, have fun at the run....

Carl

Old 01-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Idea:

To get WART back. Remove the remnants of the Tail light housing.
A really big slide hammer. Drill holes, run screws in. Attach hammer to the screw and pull. Rough out to fit used light. Patch the holes.
MIG about perfect.

When you get paid, give WART to them, or sell it yourselves.
Or, back lot, emergency back up car on Non-OP "

Wild:

Is Wart over 20? BAAQMD offers a grand. Any such program for
"gross polluters" up your way?

Carl

Old 01-20-2016, 04:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, glad you and your husband are ok, Elinor! Poor Wart, but as you've mentioned he served heroically when it counted. Here's hoping you can find a suitable replacement for him!

Funny how we develop relationships with our vehicles, isn't it? I bought Mr Steed (my SIII) to be a backup for our old manual-box Aerostar, Lucy, when she hit 215k miles. She's turned into the backup because the Jaguar's just such a joy to drive, and while I've thought about selling her before she dies, she's just too useful and reliable (if kind of tatty) to let go. Last time I mentioned it to the wife, she just said "I'm going to cry when she just can't go anymore"....and I have to admit I'll miss her too!

-Scott

LnrB (01-26-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

I hear Chevy Astrovans have a loyal fan base.

They even have their own forum.

RWD or AWD versions available.

You could call him Astro like in the comics

Old 01-21-2016, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Default The Search Has Ended.

I heard from the adjuster today, the other driver was found to be at fault.
Well, Duh, I told the cops that at the time!

Anyway, since that's the situation, my adjuster is duking it out with the other adjuster and we'll wait to see what happens.

Upon closer inspection, however, Wart's body damage is extensive. The slider closes and latches, but does not seal at the top for 75% of its length which means that even the roof is deformed! The rear edge of the door is about 1/2 inch out from what's left of the quarter panel, and all the complex folds at the rear are seriously crushed. The rear hatch seems to be fine, but doesn't seal either of course because of the deformation of the body.

Husband thought about cutting that part from a junker, but I can't think the other insurance will fork over the money for that and it's far beyond our skill level. Husband did succeed in fitting a proper tail light assembly that works correctly, so Wart is legally drivable, and doesn't look too bad from the rear.

He's been on the road a bit, just to check out alignment and he seems to drive OK, but we can't trust him for any more longish trips (besides the fact he looks disgusting) so we've spent a week in search of a permanent replacement.

Finally yesterday we found one, and today I drove it home. It's none of the recommendations either in this thread or the one over in Off Topic (more of this story there) but it ticks all our boxes and looks respectable doing it.

2009 Hyundai Sonata.
73,000 miles and change. I'll be the 3rd owner. It's the perfect car to not love. Nothing outstanding, nothing flashy, has enough room for two or three adults to sit in the back without their chin on their knees, enough power to move itself and anything I'm likely to want to carry without bringing a pickup. Not too bad looking, nothing that will be noticed either way. Not gray, but pale blue sort of. NOT Velcro seats. Cavernous trunk. 5-speed auto transmission.

It's a decent car that came in Just in time and under budget. I'm content to drive it as a disposable vehicle until *The One* comes along.

In a word, it's adequate.
It's name will be Addy.
(';')

Old 01-22-2016, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Step by step resolution. Good work. Not a bad looking car good reputation as I recall. Picky note. "velour n Velcro". The latter could be an issue for getting loose???

If Wart was insured for collison, your company's adjuster has rtwo duties.

1. Determine the ACV of Wart and pay you less deductible.
2. Get reimbursed by the OP insurer. Including your deductible.
Therefore, you need a market test to evaluate the offer!!

Wanna bet the Op has told his insurer some '**** and bull" story as to it not being his/her fault, police report notwithstanding!!! The quality of the police report has a definite effect. CHP's usually do well,
sheriff's and town cops erratic.

If no collision, you gotta wrestle with the OP insurer. As wart is surely a total loss, they owe you ACV to spend as you wish. Deduct the salvage value of Wart and keep him? or take all the money and let them have WART.

This applies to any settlement with your insurer.

Simple to adjusters, complex to civilians!!!

You gotta do your home work and fight either way...

Carl

Old 01-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Carl,

Velour = Velcro when applied to automotive upholstery.

We used to call it mouse hair. I'm sure it was a "safety feature" in the beginning, intended to hold one's rear in place during changes in direction. But if one has to get in and out of a vehicle often, like I do for my work or shopping, it gets very tiresome. Wart has Velcro seats. Yes, the issue is getting loose! Almost everyone I know, given a choice, prefers hard cloth, vinyl or leather seats. Me too.

None of our vehicles are insured for collision. It simply costs more than any of them is worth including Nix, and certainly Wart and probably Addy, the Sonata.

You're So right, the other driver claimed that *I* pulled out in front of her. (I later learned she had a couple pre-teen girls with her, explains quite a lot!) However, CHP investigation (a very nice officer took my statement while I was still in the van) assigned her total blame for the collision (my tracks are still visible in the mud), which occurred less than 50 feet past the highway intersection.

They (or, more correctly, their insurance) will get the bill for Wart plus the cost of a week's car rental. We couldn't drive Wart without a properly working tail light and we questioned his safety.

I haven't been asked to get the usual 3 estimates, but my pictures might cancel the need for that. I'll just do as I'm told when I'm told to do it and let them do their jobs.

We can't trust Wart anymore, even though he seems to drive OK. The slider not closing properly sort of compromises the integrity of the whole wall and the unibody concept, because I'm sure the doors are considered part of the total body strength, and they Both must close completely.

So, when it's all over, (we understand this may take months, which is why we got another car so soon) Wart will doubtless go to the wrecking yard to be converted into toasters and microwaves. We have no use for a bashed van and I wouldn't feel right passing him on to anyone else.

We'll put the money back in the account that bought the Sonata.
(';')

Old 01-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, the decision as to buying collision insurance or not to is a bit tricky. It isn't cheap, but, in the event of a collision, very helpful in not only money, but service. The premiums are value based, I think. Not my area of 'expertise". And, counting in, how much risk can you afford?

I don't buy collision for my two cars. Low ACV!!!

Sans collision, the "heavy lifting" falls on your shoulders. You must
"duke it out" with the OP insurer. Your insurer has no vested interest in doing so. Their duty is to protect you financialy.In this case, deny any claims by the OP driver and passengers.

So, do your home work. Establish Wart's ACV by research. yes, you are entitled to "loss of use", as measured by renting a car and replacing Wart in a reasonable time.

Yeah, Wart's carcass is almost certainly compromised. The large opening for the slider is a vulnerable point.

Still being pedantic as to velour vs Velcro??? The latter a trade name for a fastener. One part furry cloth, the other with tiny hooks. The hooks engage the furry part.

Velour, a furry cloth used in upholstery, cars included. Never been sure as to whether the vinyl interiors or the velour interiors are the most costly???

I do know that in extreme heat or cold, Velour feels better to one's rear than vinyl!!!

Enjoy the Sonata, not a bad looking car at all.

Back some years ago, we bought a back up car as the Jaguar was quite ill. A 94 Olds Achieva. Neat little DOHC four. Velour upholstery.
Red/red made it sorta acceptable to dear departed wifey!!!

The rear seat backs folded forward offering an immense cargo loaded from the trunk/boot. Does your Sonata have that capability ?
We used it on occasion, once for a Christmas tree!!! Big mistake, pine needles everywhere!!!

Carl

LnrB (01-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Wart