XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windows elecktrickery returns.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Thumbs up Windows elecktrickery returns.

Here we go again, deja vu....

The Jaguar has been idle through our extended storm period. Even the battery voltage dropped just below cranking needs. A couple of hours on the
Schumacher "smart" charger brought the volts up to full charge. healthy crank, immediate fire up.

Woops, driver widow will not go down !!! How long has it been that way??? Could have been a while. A bit chilly for cruising windows open!!!
More, oh.... The others won't move either....

Center switch!!! Which way is on and which is off ? Did I open it by accident? Doesn't seem to make any difference, windows still stay up!!!
All of 'em.

On/off exercise for the center switch. Well, three now respond. Driver door, still up.

Plan:

I have the switch access protocol down pat. Two small pans, a flat blade screw driver and a Pozi or Phillips. Screws all mixed up there. Me or PO's.
Probably both.

Swap in one of my prepped spare switches at the driver position. Service the center/master. Or just "jump" it. I don't need it. No "little" kids to concern me.

And, one other "a ways out there" idea. Drill a teeny hole in the rocker of the driver door switch. It is the one that usually offends. Just big enough for the red straw that comes with the spray cans. Shoot in some contact cleaner. Exercise.

Lumber jack work closing in. All branches, trunks on he ground cut to size for fire wood, projects or the green recycle can. It will take a bit. Suspend
dropping stubs from tree a bit. I followed the practice of cutting away from the final cut location for better control reasoning.

One errand this AM. Jaguar gets the exercise. We are promised a "warmish" day.

Carl

Old 01-30-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

No further action needed. It fixed itself. Coco and I went on errands. Although cool out, I took a chance and lowered the front windows a crack to assure that Coco would be fine. Driver window did not respond, but then suddenly "popped loose and dropped nicely. The passenger window did well also.

Hauled fire wood from the chop site in my long dormant wheel barrow. Expectedly, it's tire was flat. But, the stem remained in place as secured by a hose clamp. Small compressor made short work of filling it. Used old tech of pulling it as a "horse" in harness rather than pushing it. Far easier, and more control. More to go, a lot more...

Fixed my everyday glasses with tiny screw driver. Managed sans glasses !!!
Fixed busted plastic case for the drivers. Alloy duct tape makes a much better hinge.
another busted similar case yet to go. And another pair of spec to fix. Gorilla gue to secure the ear piece to the hinge???

A good day.

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Doug (01-30-2017), Grant Francis (02-02-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,946 Likes on 5,293 Posts

Doncha just Love those self healing problems?!
I wish my central locking would heal itself!
(';')

Old 01-31-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Thanx!

I left another set of spec's out last night. Ear piece parted at the hinge to the lens holders. No luck, no fix.

I'll try Gorilla glue later to hold the thing together.

Out side work today as the weather folks promise nice weather. I'll post pone indoor
stuff til Wed. AKA procrastination.

Is your central lock switch, a black rocker on the console or a "paddle" up front by the "A" pillar?

Carl

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (02-01-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,946 Likes on 5,293 Posts

Thank you, Carl,
I know where it is, I even took the switch apart for a good cleaning etc. That's not the problem though. They'll Unlock but won't Lock! That's kinda useless I think.

Weather is still rotten though so I have time to figure it out.
(';')

ronbros (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

LnrB:

Check J-l's XJ forum. Jochen posted a locking switch issue. Mechanical there. His just busted. But Bob W. posted an interesting electrical discussion. That post might help you in resolving your issue.

Carl

LnrB (02-01-2017)