XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storing procedure - Slll

Old 11-15-2017, 07:04 AM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts
Question Winter Storing procedure - Slll

Hi folks,
Been gone for a week in Barbados. Back in Ontario now and getting ready to store the baby for her 33rd. winter!
Any tips on a procedure for this? Fuel additives? Full tanks? Battery maintenance? Fresh engine oil etc?
A detailed procedure would make a great "sticky" for those of unfortunate to only enjoy our cars for 7 months a year.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,926 Likes on 5,279 Posts

Hello, Ian,
Even in California I can only Safely drive my car from early May to late October. Only under the Most unusual circumstances can I dare to take her out earlier or drive her later.

However, when I put her away, it's with a fully warmed engine, preferably just off a long run, so the oil is good and hot and has boiled off any volatile contaminants.

I try to have Just come back from the gas station so both tanks are *FULL!* leaving no space for condensation to collect and run down, settling in the bottom of the tanks. For "storage" in this area (Northern California) for those few months I Never put in any stabilizer.

Sometimes, but not always, I give her a good cleaning before covering her with a large microfiber throw under a plastic drop sheet to keep excess dust and stuff off the paint.

It it looks like a Very long winter I put on a trickle charger about every month or whenever I think of it.

Others may do different things, and in fact, in Montana we did Lots more Winterization than this!
(';')