XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ12 Lost Auto Box oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ12 Lost Auto Box oil

Car was just sitting at the kerb and the transmision oil just poored out from the torque converter end of the box managed to get it back in the garage where the rest of the oil ran out. Auto box now empty. Why! please?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hi Archie

You need to be a little more forthcoming on this leak. Have you been underneath to see where it might have come out from ? There are two pipes that exit the transmission that go to and from the transmission fluid cooler at the front of the car near the radiator. One of these may have come loose or cracked, or even corroded.

Was the car running at the time of the leak; it is unusual for it to all pout out when the engine is not running. When the engine is running the transmission pumps fluid around, including to/from the cooler.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:26 AM
Default gearbox leak

HI Fraser thanks for replying to my question.
The car was parked engine not running and the oil came from the top of the box and ran over the exhaust this is the puzzle. I rember when i bought the car i checked the oil as you do and when i removed the gearbox dip stick the oil started pooring out so i put it back and thought no more of it. On inspection of the box last week i could find nothing so i re-filled it with oil and took it for a run no problems found, but i did read the new oil istructions and it had an anti frothing compound in the make up. Could it be that the incorrect oil was added and it just frothed out, because it is in the right place to cover the exhaust with oil.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

It sounds like too much fluid has been put in the box. Of course the engine should not be running when you check the level - whas it ?

Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I agree that being over filled sounds like a likely cause. Wayyyyy over filled, in this case.

Fraser, I think you mis-typed. Auto trans fluid level IS checked with the engine running and the fluid hot....although in this case I'm not sure that I'd recommend running without knowing what the problem is.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Default ayto trans leak

Hi people
i have been told to warm the engine for a hot check, run the leaver through the gears then dip the oil with the engine switched off, or i can do a cold dip depends which side of the dip stick you look at, as i said when i bought the car i checked the gearbox oil after a run engine not running and it all started to froth out of the dip stick hole i thought no more of it till it emptied itself all over the road after being driven out of the garge and left parked engine not running. I have since filled it again with good quality transmission oil and taken it for a spin and all seems ok.The dipstick pipe is above the exhaust pipe which is covered in trans oil thats is what has led me to believe the oil came from the top of the box. Thanks for your input here and should i run into anymore problems i will surley get back to you.
Thanks Alan