XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

XJ6 from the junkyard

Old 02-26-2019, 03:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ6 from the junkyard

Hi everybody!
I bought my jaguar at the junkyard couple weeks ago.
Just changed water pump and then drove two-three days.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:02 PM

The following 4 users liked this post by Leksvndr:
andys-GR (05-08-2019), Doug (02-26-2019), LnrB (02-27-2019), yachtmanbuttson (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 04:07 PM

it was a couple of times that the engine sometimes stopped right while driving, but it was easy to start right away. On the third day of driving, the engine went out and did not start again until it was cold. gasoline is, there is a spark, candles are good. At the nozzle power checked, ok help find the cause. I started this morning on a cold one, five minutes later the engine went dead. If you work with the gas pedal, the engine starts and stalls.
I apologize in advance for my English. English is not my native language.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:08 PM

Old 02-26-2019, 04:10 PM

today replaced the temperature sensor and ignition coil. problem still exists. Another problem is a big vibration from the engine or transmission . until I found the reason

Old 02-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Hi,
that car looks very good, the problems are easy to fix.

At the rear of the cylinder head, passenger side, at the top, there is a group of wires bolted to the cylinder head, those are Grounds.

look carefully around the area to make sure all those ground wires are bolted there. The cylinder head is aluminum so do not force the bolt too tight if you tighten it.

Disconnect the battery for the next maintenance jobs:

1) Under the car, where the transmission and the engine meet, on the passenger side, there is a Ground Strap bolted to the transmission and then to the body/chassis. Remove it, clean it well shiny, and clean the points of contact at the chassis and at the transmission with a brass brush. Battery MUST be disconnected for this job.

2) at the firewall, on each side, (passenger and driver sides of engine compartment), there are two HOT Electrical Posts sticking out, each post should have a rubber "boot" covering the ring terminals connected to it. Slide the boot back carefully, then undo and remove the nut, then clean shiny each of the Ring Terminals connected to them with a brass brush. Battery MUST be disconnected for this job.

After doing that, you will eliminate any corrosion issue on all those points.

3) the problem of the engine shutting off by itself could be the Ignition Switch worn out. Try to drive it while holding the key towards the "run" position and see if it still shuts off. These switches can be repaired, or you can buy a new one.

4) the vibration could be a bad Engine Mount, or the Transmission Mounts.

Download the free Factory Service Manual and the Parts Manual here in the HOW TO, or go to my website below, so you understand the transmission mount.

Last edited by Jose; 02-26-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Junkyard.....Jeeez...wish that level of car was in a junkyard here!

Old 02-26-2019, 06:33 PM
Tar
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

What a beauty! Congratulations.

It will be interesting to see how you get on with it please keep us posted. And of course, we are here to help with any advice you may need.

Andrew.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Thank you for your advice! I am very glad that I answered so quickly. Just replaced the fuel filter. while driving to the store, the car cooled down. the engine started very easily, it was enough to move in the garage and immediately stalled. I am definitely lucky) To the surprise of the body in very good condition as well as the interior. Native paint, no rust, the seats are all intact and I can say it all for free!
If interested, I can add more photos. I will also upload photos to Instagram @insupra.Before that, I built eight years for the Supra, three months ago I sold it and I could not decide these three months what I want to buy for my hobby.
The plans are beautiful wheels, air suspension and possibly swap the engine (ls maybe)

Old 02-26-2019, 07:20 PM

Old 02-26-2019, 07:30 PM

have not yet found exactly where the ECU is?

Old 02-26-2019, 08:08 PM
Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Congratulations, she's a beauty. That interior looks in better condition than a lot of XJ6's that sell for many thousands of $$ on eBay. This gives new meaning to the phrase, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by XJ6Paul View Post
Congratulations, she's a beauty. That interior looks in better condition than a lot of XJ6's that sell for many thousands of $$ on eBay. This gives new meaning to the phrase, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
absolutely agree!

Old 02-26-2019, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Hi,
that car looks very good, the problems are easy to fix.

At the rear of the cylinder head, passenger side, at the top, there is a group of wires bolted to the cylinder head, those are Grounds.

look carefully around the area to make sure all those ground wires are bolted there. The cylinder head is aluminum so do not force the bolt too tight if you tighten it.

Disconnect the battery for the next maintenance jobs:

1) Under the car, where the transmission and the engine meet, on the passenger side, there is a Ground Strap bolted to the transmission and then to the body/chassis. Remove it, clean it well shiny, and clean the points of contact at the chassis and at the transmission with a brass brush. Battery MUST be disconnected for this job.

2) at the firewall, on each side, (passenger and driver sides of engine compartment), there are two HOT Electrical Posts sticking out, each post should have a rubber "boot" covering the ring terminals connected to it. Slide the boot back carefully, then undo and remove the nut, then clean shiny each of the Ring Terminals connected to them with a brass brush. Battery MUST be disconnected for this job.

After doing that, you will eliminate any corrosion issue on all those points.

3) the problem of the engine shutting off by itself could be the Ignition Switch worn out. Try to drive it while holding the key towards the "run" position and see if it still shuts off. These switches can be repaired, or you can buy a new one.

4) the vibration could be a bad Engine Mount, or the Transmission Mounts.

Download the free Factory Service Manual and the Parts Manual here in the HOW TO, or go to my website below, so you understand the transmission mount.
I did all this just now and started the engine, worked for two minutes and died out. Repeated startup attempts are useless. It seems that something is heating up and shutting down, until I understand what. What is the pressure to the fuel pump?

Old 02-26-2019, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pick up Leksvndr. Is that gauge in your pictures a fuel pressure gauge? If so your fuel pressure may be low. If you have the 4.2 litre motor the fuel pressure should be around
36 lb/squ in. If yours is lower than that you will need to check the fuel system. The tanks can have rust and sediment in them that can block fuel flow. There are also filters on the uptake pipes in the tanks that can need to be changed. Also the main fuel filter may be over due for changing. That's in the trunk on the back wall near the ecu. Next culprit could be the actual fuel pressure regulator on the front of the motor. Start checking these things and be methodical in your approach, it shouldn't take too long to fingers the problem. Of course there is also the fuel pump and associated switching gear. Get the Factory Service Manual as Jose says you are going to get a bit of use from it. Report back if you get stuck,
Con

Old 02-27-2019, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,433 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Originally Posted by Leksvndr View Post
Just replaced the fuel filter. while driving to the store, the car cooled down. the engine started very easily, it was enough to move in the garage and immediately stalled.

If you still have it, cut the old filter open.

Or, remove the recently installed filter and empty the contents into a clean jar.

What you see may dictate your next steps.

I agree with recent remarks that you may have dirty gasoline.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-27-2019, 09:07 AM
Received 187 Likes on 93 Posts

Just follow the advice of the experts here on the forum and you will be back on the road in no time. Can you tell us where you found this car? Is it unusually for junk yards in your area to have cars like this or did it just come in and you got it before they cut it up for scrap? You are a very lucky bloke!

Old 02-27-2019, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,552 Posts
Cool

For sure. That is a very nice car. And, that is an understatement,. Not o consider that it appears to be the same color as mine. bias, yup. Grosvenor Brown. Mine in the infamous thermoplastic. but, still shines up nicely.

The ECU is in the boot aka trunk. At the back, behind a panel.

The info you now have is invaluable.

All I can add is that the ignition amplifier is reacting to temperature. Just a guess, for sure. Set that aside til you are satisfied that the fueling is on the mark. Inactivity promotes rust..

Must be a super classy junk yard. Where ???

In my opinion, too nice t go nuts on mods...

Carl

Old 02-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to test and possibly replace the inertia switch. My car was acting up in a similar fashion and I replaced it with a series 3 unit. ( I have a 78' series 2)

This a common problem with these cars apparently.

https://dickinson58601.com/tag/commo...th-jaguar-xj6/

Just a thought.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by con244 View Post
Nice pick up Leksvndr. Is that gauge in your pictures a fuel pressure gauge? If so your fuel pressure may be low. If you have the 4.2 litre motor the fuel pressure should be around
36 lb/squ in. If yours is lower than that you will need to check the fuel system. The tanks can have rust and sediment in them that can block fuel flow. There are also filters on the uptake pipes in the tanks that can need to be changed. Also the main fuel filter may be over due for changing. That's in the trunk on the back wall near the ecu. Next culprit could be the actual fuel pressure regulator on the front of the motor. Start checking these things and be methodical in your approach, it shouldn't take too long to fingers the problem. Of course there is also the fuel pump and associated switching gear. Get the Factory Service Manual as Jose says you are going to get a bit of use from it. Report back if you get stuck,
Con
I changed the main filter, it is clean. Gasoline in the fuel rail is also clean, no rust. I'm going to replace the pressure gauge , because on the photo, the maximum value is very low.
need to figure out how to check the fuel regulator for performance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XJ6 from the junkyard

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: