XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

XJ6 V8 exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 246 Likes on 148 Posts
Default XJ6 V8 exhaust question

Tried earlier but post did not show up so try again...
I am a bit concerned about the small clearance at the place where the Suncoast down pipes pass by the steering rack boots. I have about 3/8 of an inch gap there.

Trying to figure out what experience other lumpers are having.

I have cut a few strips of metal from the old original Jag heat shield that used to live on top of the Jag original exhaust manfolds (2 inches wide and about 5 1/2 inch long) and shaped them to the same curve as the down pipes have,... at the closest spot to the rack boots / down pipes, in and effort to shield the boots from the exhaust heat. Was going to have them tack welded to the down pipes with a space on either side of these "shields"
What have others done?

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 V8 exhaust question-shield1.jpg   XJ6 V8 exhaust question-shield2.jpg  

Last edited by alynmurray; 05-20-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alynmurray
Tried earlier but post did not show up so try again...
I am a bit concerned about the small clearance at the place where the Suncoast down pipes pass by the steering rack boots. I have about 3/8 of an inch gap there.

Trying to figure out what experience other lumpers are having.

I have cut a few strips of metal from the old original Jag heat shield that used to live on top of the Jag original exhaust manfolds (2 inches wide and about 5 1/2 inch long) and shaped them to the same curve as the down pipes have,... at the closest spot to the rack boots / down pipes, in and effort to shield the boots from the exhaust heat. Was going to have them tack welded to the down pipes with a space on either side of these "shields"
What have others done?
I made my own exhaust and used 2.5 inch I'm pretty sure I have about 1/2 inch or so, I will measure when I get home Sunday and try to get some pictures. Ive never had a problem with the boot. I think the heat shields are a great idea or maybe some exhaust wrap from a place like Summit racing couldn't hurt.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default They would not fit my SWB S1

I later sold them... had my local shop make up the exhaust and will soon run it under the IRS with V clamps on the different sections. Currently have flanges but they eventually vibrate and leak... I have lots of room around the steering area with my custom down pipe.

Also tried the Sanderson headers, twice, they cracked and leaked.. now occupy a place on my Wall of Shame.

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 V8 exhaust question-imag1539.jpg  
Old 05-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Alyn:

My car has Sun Coast sourced down pipes on after market
Ram Horns. They have a jog that provides some air space
between it and the rack. No shields. So far no issues.

I recall that my Johns cars install manual mentions that some
use XJS sourced shields.

Yours look useful.

Carl

Old 05-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
I later sold them... had my local shop make up the exhaust and will soon run it under the IRS with V clamps on the different sections. Currently have flanges but they eventually vibrate and leak... I have lots of room around the steering area with my custom down pipe.

Also tried the Sanderson headers, twice, they cracked and leaked.. now occupy a place on my Wall of Shame.
Hey, I thought it was just me! My Sandersons are still on my car, still look like new, and still leak like they did a couple months after I installed them!