Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJC 4.2

Hi all just a few questions about my car and what i should do if you could help
would be great

car in garage 2 years not started at all since
was serviced when parked and cleaned

how or should i disturb it until i want too use ?
how or what should i do too keep it maintained fully as i have no intention to use yet as i have other projects at moment
if i should turn over the engine manually what is best way and size of the crankshaft nut.

Thank you for your time and answers

Old 03-13-2016, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

This stuff is very subjective. If you can start it and fully warm it up every week, I would say that has the best chance of keeping it alive.

Failing that, if it's not been ran for "a while" ie years, then on our recently removed from a 20 year slumber car we did :

1. Removed spark plugs. Squirted some oil into the bores. Left it overnight
2. Next Day. Disconnected the fuel pump relay. Cranked the engine on the starter
3. Fitted new plugs. Reconnected the fuel pump. Started as normal.

That was basically just to get the engine running. Obviously depending on how long it's been sitting, it may need other parts proactively replaced just due to age (ie vacuum lines, coolant hoses, fuel hoses, etc), but the above procedure worked for us and we now have a nicely running car after 20 years of never being started.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

Make sure you do not start it if you have 2 year old gas in the tank. That needs to be replaced.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Bleed the brakes too is usually a safe thing to do as well, brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water over time.

I'd keep it on a trickle charger and occasionally come out and check all power windows and stuff works to prevent them from seizing over time.

As said, fresh fuel, check over of all electrical connectors, oil in the bores etc are all good ideas if you plan on running it for an extended period of time.

Having the car up on stands also saves the tyres and suspension from deformation over age

Old 03-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Pour a very little oil into the bores. Turn the engine over on the starter with the ht lead off to get the oil round.
Then start the engine if you can, You may need to bypass the oil pressure switch which cuts the fuel pump or prime the carbs first.
Pump the brakes to make sure they are working. If you can drive, even a short distance then drive it and apply the brakes etc. (go very slowly to check if the brakes are working or not!!!)
Top up or change the coolant, for long term storage neat anti-freeze (to prevent corrosion) is best although expensive.

Once you have done that, and checked all the electrics etc, put it back in the garage and go there every couple of months at least to start and drive it so the tyres don't develop flat spots.

The other issue that you may have is mould or must in the interior, may be worth trying a wipe and spray of Miltons sterilising fluid or wipe down with a polish.

Or give it to me and I'll look after it for you.....

Whereabouts in the UK are you? I'm in North London.