XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1986 Jaguar XJS HE 12 Aftermarket Security issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Jaguar XJS HE 12 Aftermarket Security issue

So, through a friend's friend of the family I ended up with a $200 1986 Jaguar XJS HE V12 in a relatively good looking condition at least for sitting 6 years in a sometimes sunny and snowy area.

When asked about the issues the car had the owner mentioned it ran until the fuel pump went out. Which when I towed the car back to my place to look at it, sure enough the fuel pump was not in working order. So, I replaced that and put in a new battery as the old one was far too old and done to do any good.

After replacing those two items I tried turning the car on, and it would turn over but never successfully fire. This is when I noticed that as long as I have the new battery hooked up one of the interior door lights (passenger side under the glovebox) never turns off regardless of what I do (pressing the light buttons meant to turn on and off the back and front lights on both sides as well as closing both doors to see if an open door is the answer) and none of it would successfully turn that light off.

I figured this meant that the car's issue was an electrical issue. I took a look under the dash and noticed a bundle of zip tied wires, newer fuses that obviously look like they belong in a 2005 car not a 1986 Jag. These wires and fuses all lead to two things, a little metal switch next to the usual inertia kill switch and a little black box that I found out was an aftermarket security system. I know it's a Pursuit security system, but the manufacturer stickers have all been removed, so I have no reference of what kind of model this is or anything.

I can only assume this rather shoddy wiring job, or at least just the security system in general (Me and a friend both agree the job was less than superb and we even believe the badly done aftermarket security system had something to do with the wire leading to the horn being cut) is what is stopping the car from running. The biggest roadblock is this security system is wired into the ignition system (evidenced by the fact that when I unplug the connections in the security box the car won't even so much as turn over or make any indication that its receiving any kind of electricity).

So, my question after that long description is, what exactly should my next course of action be? As I have no idea how to wire this car and I'm unsure of where a wiring diagram is for this should my best action be to rip the system out and rewire the car. The electrical side of older cars just tend to confuse me more than anything.

Side Note: The switch I mentioned by the fuel pump inertia switch, will occasionally but not always, prevent the car from turning over, if the car does not turn over I can flip the switch and it will turn over but still not fire. This is only true sometimes as its a 50/50 shot the car will just turn over (but not fire).

Old 08-09-2017, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

Why not call support and ask about the alarm .....

Advent : A Leader in Automotive Electronics

Old 08-09-2017, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by ExZachtly_ND
I can only assume this rather shoddy wiring job, or at least just the security system in general (Me and a friend both agree the job was less than superb and we even believe the badly done aftermarket security system had something to do with the wire leading to the horn being cut) is what is stopping the car from running.

Quite possible and plausible, but not an absolute given

So, my question after that long description is, what exactly should my next course of action be?

I'd take an hour or two and remove the system entirely.

Cheers
DD