XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1989 wheels on a 1984?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 wheels on a 1984?

Ive got a 1984 XJS coupe that suffered an engine fire (big shock there). Before I let it go I want to strip it of whatever I can use on her replacement (1989 coupe with LT1 conversion), including the beautiful spoke rims.

Ive tried to find online if there is any size or lug difference in the XJS wheels, Im assuming if I took the rims/wheels from an 89, they would fit an 84 but Id like to hear some confirmation of that before I gave it a try?

Having said that, if anyone needs some random parts from an 89 coupe, Im happy to see if I can help!

Old 01-29-2017, 11:56 AM

Also, Ive read some posts on the webs about the wire rims being U.S. aftermarket by the dealers and that they are not very safe, are we talking about the same spoke rims?

Old 01-29-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroticartist
Also, Ive read some posts on the webs about the wire rims being U.S. aftermarket by the dealers and that they are not very safe, are we talking about the same spoke rims?

1984 vs 1989 wheel swap will work, no changes in bolt patterns, etc

The wire wheels are indeed aftermarket. Common for dealers and owners to install them.

Jaguar 'officially' recommend against using them but manufacturers routinely recommend against anything that isn't OEM. Many Jag owners have used them with nothing horrible happening. However, neglect *can* render a wire wheel unsafe; rust, broken spokes, and the like.

Dayton was a big supplier of aftermarket wires wheels for the Jags. At some point (early 80s? I can't remember) they went from 60-spokes to 70 spokes (or something like that) due to safety concerns. Others with a better memory will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 PM

Great, thanks again Doug!

Old 01-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

72 spoke. I think Dayton recalled the 60 spoke wheels for use on Jaguars, they just were not strong enough.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I was able to drive a wire wheel XJ-S vs my 'solid' wheel car... Those wires are not really something I'd like to use going 100 mph... They felt everything else than stable...

Old 01-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

I have had a set of Dayton's on my car since the early 2000's and really like them. They totally changed the look of the car in a good way IMO. The wheels are fine for normal driving however may (probably will) have an issue at prolonged high speed driving or rally racing with lots of hard cornering. Assuming that is not what you do the Dayton's are fine.

Lots of stuff will swap over to your "new" '89. If your headliner is good I'd suggest keeping that for starters. They are almost impossible to find and they are not available in the states. Nearly $550-600 including headboard, English VAT, international shipping and insurance to get one from a British supplier. If your dash is good that is another thing to consider. A replacement dash for a cracked one is likely very expensive. Your windshield is also interchangeable.

BTW...one of my center caps will not tighten down. It spins freely but doesn't come off. Have you had anything similar happen to you? Dayton doesn't make the jaguar center cap anymore so I may have to get a replacement one with the racing flag insert and see if I can swap mine in if I can't fix my existing center cap.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroticartist
I've driven on wire wheels with my previous 77 XJ6 for about 5 years before moving it on, and have a set that came with my current 87 XJS which I've been driving on for almost two years now.

Never had any incidents with them, granted I've never driven faster than the allocated limits with them (so no faster than 110kph ) or taken any hard turns at speed with them either (not what these cats were made for).

If all you're looking to do is a bit of spirited driving and cruising, you should have no worries with the wires. Just keep a couple of spare inner tubes around and you'll be fine.