XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 XJS Convertible Cruise Control Revival

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts
Default 1990 XJS Convertible Cruise Control Revival

Hello all.

In reviving my A.C. I ended up removing the entire center console and much of what exists vent wise around the console from the radio down outwards on both sides. It gives me lots of access to everything. Removed the casing in the glove box as well. Then,,, alllll carpeting... It's all good. Soon as I have enough pennies I intend to recarpet, new ski slope, and re-cover the seats. She is not a daily driver, lol. Picture that.

Anyways, I removed the switch for the cruise control and it was fried. No saving it and no experimenting as to its operation. First question is about it the "feel" of switch operation, the behavior of the switch itself. I've never touched a working one. Does it sit centered, always? When you push it to "off" for instance does it stick,,, switched (stuck) in the OFF position. With the opposite end of the switch (the "set" end) higher, or does it spring back so the flat center is,,, centered,,, both ends even in height??? And, when you push "set" does it spring back to center when you let off the button? For now, I'm wondering if I can use a window switch? It easily fits into the plug. Would make my life easier. A specific Cruise switch is $100 bucks and I have a window switch on hand.

---My actuators, the little motors with some coaxing, work and hold and release air, I am happy to say.
---I need a bellows.
---I have power where I should in the plug end for the switch... I will need to do some double checking but think I might be good at the switch plug in, at least.

Down the line,,, electrics and wiring under the hood and gizmoz in the boot,,, the sender and transducer... Chasing from front to rear.

See photos for this next question. Does "sheild" in the diagram mean shielded wire? If not,,, what's it mean?

Also, will the cruise work with an inoperable speedometer? Maybe this is the 2, 3, 4 birds with one stone adventure as all of these systems touch. I know the trip computer reads miles,,, but 3 speedometers and instrument clusters later, still, no speedO joy...

as usual,,, super gratful and open to all suggestions, advise and opinions... Even if I don't take em all,,, haha.

Last edited by JayJagJay; 08-31-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

This may help

Cruise Control

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
mkinn (09-02-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay

See photos for this next question. Does "sheild" in the diagram mean shielded wire? If not,,, what's it mean?

Yes, shielded wire

Also, will the cruise work with an inoperable speedometer? Maybe this is the 2, 3, 4 birds with one stone adventure as all of these systems touch. I know the trip computer reads miles,,, but 3 speedometers and instrument clusters later, still, no speedO joy...
The speedo, trip computer, and cruise control all get a speed signal from the speed sensor in the differential. If the trip computer is registering miles then the speed sensor is working and can supply the signal to the cruise control system.

The cruise control system doesn't know or care if the speedometer itself is working or not working.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Great to know about the separation between speedO and CC... Thank you very much, Doug! It's a relief...

I'm at the car now. I will pause and read what you sent. I have seen that article but read it a while back. I feel like I'm going to need some luck in this adventure. I absolutely hate working with electrics... Slowly but surely.