XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 XJS V12 Convertible Top Not Closing

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts
Default 1990 XJS V12 Convertible Top Not Closing

Hello Friends.

I've been 'reviving' a 1990 XJS V12 5.3 that been sitting for many years... Looong story. Throughout, while working on her, I'd been able to turn the key and raise and lower the top with a push of the button (which I think is awesome!). Makes moving around the car easier.... Yesterday that stopped and I am hoping folks can give me some ideas on where to start looking into it.

What happened:
- I connected battery and turned key as usual when starting work day. Lower-d top and downed windows. Got to work!
- During the day I ended up draining a battery in turning over engine, attempting to start her up.
- Draining battery caused FULL ALARM to trigger for the first time ever! Until yesterday I had only been getting this annoying chirp while battery is connected with key off or not in ignition. Chirp stops when key is engaged. So, I put the key in the ignition to silence alarm. Alarm stopped/silenced.
- Replaced drained battery with known fully charged battery from my XK8.
- End of day, AFTER getting engine running (for first time in approx 5yrs whoot whoot!), cleaned up work area and went to close top. NO DICE !

No sound of hydraulics engaging at all. Dead. Tried using working switch from window control, nothing.

I dont even know where the fuse is for hydraulic motor (if there is one). Looked in storage area behind seats and opened panel on pass side to find several relays and a good 30amp fuse. Switched Hydraulics to "manual" and raised by hand, 1/4 windows still down. I was so done for the day!

NOTE: I go thru the day connecting and disconnecting battery several times,,, for good measure,,, while performing various operations.

And and ALL suggestions welcomed and super appreciated.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Hi JJJ

You need to have the Handbrake on to raise and lower the Top but I'm guessing you know that already.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member

Good Morning OB... Thank you.

I didn't know that when I wrote the post, lol. I just didn't. I won't be back at CrabApple (she's running now btw) until Friday afternoon . I should give the hydraulics and motor some attention (like everything else) anyways.

This will be knaaaawing at me until Friday.

Last edited by JayJagJay; 07-20-2017 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You said you were able to put the top down at the beginning of your work session. So it powered down then. At any time while working, did you take the parking brake off? I concur with OB here. No motor sounds usually means you don't have the parking brake engaged. But you would have had to release it at some point during the day...

Old 07-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Good Morning OB... Thank you.

I didn't know that when I wrote the post, lol. I just didn't. I won't be back at CrabApple (she's running now btw) until Friday afternoon . I should give the hydraulics and motor some attention (like everything else) anyways.

This will be knaaaawing at me until Friday.
Hi Jay

Lets hope its something that simple.

BTW. That has to be the quickest engine strip down and rebuild that I have ever seen, it took me 3 days just to change the Spark Plugs!

Old 07-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Lol... I'm betting it is. I did mess around with the ebrake. I know I did. These cars are so full of secrets. I guess the risk of putting my questions out to the world,,, is showing to the ol worl just how damn dumb I is, lol

And thanks about the engine. I am excited about the whole thing. That helps. I feel like I lost some people in that other thread,,, which is a little worrisome. I am communicating with Grant in PM thankfully. I think I need to start another post about idling issues. Then,,, other things.

Have a good night, man.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Jay

And you got her Running

A Massive well done for that!

As for the High Idle, one or two people on here have removed the AAV altogether and after having blanked it off, adjusted the idle on the 'Capstan Thingy'

I know for sure that Ronbros has, so have a word with him.

The AAV that can cause High Idle Problems
some guys have removed it altogether.