XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1991 Factory Alarm system? How does it work??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Eaa
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 1991 Factory Alarm system? How does it work??

Hi all, I have a 91 XJS that seems to have a factory installed alarm - I have one keychain remote that says "Jaguar Security System" with one button that locked the doors when I pushed it. I didn't get any kind of manual or documentation with the car and have no idea how it's supposed to be used or what it does.

Searching the internet hasn't turned up any real answers, but has turned up a bunch of horror stories about the system going berserk or making the car undrivable, so I haven't experimented further. I've only had the car a few weeks so I'm still figuring a lot of things out.

I should say that I have never had a car alarm and would be fine with not having one now, but remote door locks would be nice. I'd happily pass on the door locks if it meant risking a blaring unstoppable alarm or dead car though.

So, I guess I have a few questions...

How do you use it and what can it do?
Should I use it or is it just a problem waiting to happen?
If it's a problem to use, can I safely not use it and ignore the system (ie throw the remote in a drawer and forget about it)?
Or, if it's a problem, can I safely disable or remove it without causing other problems?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@EAA

If you google "Captain Jaguars Cathouse" you will find a website where you can download the circuit diagrams for your car. Very useful, please do so. From the main page click "Reference" then "Electrical Reference" Then select your car. I had a quick look at the diagram for a 91 car with security. The system seems quite comprehensive, ie door lock / unlock, motion sensing, starter inhibit, separate siren, headlight flashing, etc.

Does the car also have a valet switch and LED fitted ? (They are usually on top of the steering column cowl)

For some reason, probably security :-) it doesn't disclose where the control unit is located on the car, but on the facelift cars it's in the trunk on the right hand side underneath the aerial so you may want to have a look in there.

You should be able to download the drivers manual for the car or perhaps buy one on ebay.

In the essence of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", if it was me, I would just use the system as it's designed to be used, ie lock the doors and set the alarm when exiting, then unlock and reset the alarm when entering and see how it goes. You can test the alarm by doing some of the following.....

1) Lock the car with the window down......... stick your arm in the open window and manually unlock the door using the lock lever on the inside of the door...... the alarm should go off...... (because the alarm should be monitoring voltage) then you can see how loud it is and what it does...... should do horn honks, plus headlight flashes, plus siren sounds. You should then be able to reset it by pressing the button on the key fob. If the alarm doesn't go off when you manually unlock the door, go ahead and open the door...... it should definitely go off now.

2) test 2, Same as test 1 but instead of unlocking the car stick your arms inside the car and wave them around and see if you can set off the alarm by triggering the motion detector. (I'm not sure where they are placed on the car..... perhaps up in the headlining somewhere, or on the front or rear shelf)

3) Same as test 1 but this time put the key in the ignition through the open window and try and start the car...... it should not start (and possibly the alarm will go off)

When doing all of this, when the alarm has been triggered watch what the LED does..... these things usually flash of and on slowly when the alarm is armed, and go off completely when the alarm is disarmed, but if there has been an alarm trigger while you were away, the LED should flash once you have unlocked the car to tell you that something happened. Usually the sequence of flashes can tell you what was triggered, ie voltage trigger, or motion sense, or something else

The following users liked this post:
Eaa (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Eaa

Hi Sarc - thanks for your reply - I'm going to experiment more with the system when I have more time - I'm still a little concerned about setting it off and not being able to reset it.

A few answers to questions you asked:

It does have what I think is the valet switch and led - rocker switch on bottom of steering column and led on left side of column. I never had an alarm before so I have no idea what that switch does, except I guess it changes the alarm function for valet parking somehow. Also, never noticed the led lit up, though there is a led labeled "security" on the radio that seems to blink all the time.

I do have a drivers manual, it's pretty comprehensive for that type of book but doesn't really address the alarm at all. I'm guessing it may have been a separate brochure if the alarm was an option?

I'm still not too clear on how the alarm is supposed to be used though - is it just push the button, doors lock and alarm is on, push button again to disarm and unlock and that's all there is to it? How about if the alarm goes off accidentally, push the button to shut it off? Or is there more? I don't want to seem too ignorant, but I've never used an alarm before so it's totally unfamiliar to me.

One other thing, not sure it's related but the car used to make a little sound, sort of "beedle-beedle" when opening the doors. That stopped after messing around with the remote.

Thanks again for your help

Old 09-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

@EAA

I do have a drivers manual, it's pretty comprehensive for that type of book but doesn't really address the alarm at all. I'm guessing it may have been a separate brochure if the alarm was an option?

--> yes, it was an option, so there was probably a separate book for it......

is it just push the button, doors lock and alarm is on, push button again to disarm and unlock and that's all there is to it? How about if the alarm goes off accidentally, push the button to shut it off?

--> Yep, thats all there is to it

One other thing, not sure it's related but the car used to make a little sound, sort of "beedle-beedle" when opening the doors. That stopped after messing around with the remote.

--> Not sure about this....... does the car have an aftermarket stereo ? or the original stereo ? (I fitted an aftermarket stereo which has a removable faceplate. When you switch the car off the stereo makes kind of a "beedle-beedle" noise to remind you to take the faceplate off)

Old 09-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Eaa

Originally Posted by Sarc
@EAA

--> Not sure about this....... does the car have an aftermarket stereo ? or the original stereo ? (I fitted an aftermarket stereo which has a removable faceplate. When you switch the car off the stereo makes kind of a "beedle-beedle" noise to remind you to take the faceplate off)
I believe the stereo is original - it's a Jaguar unit and the security code on a card that came with the manuals and other documents worked to "reset" the radio (battery disconnected from storage). As far as I know everything about the car other than tires and battery is original or oem replacement. The "beedle-beedle" noise was definitely some kind of door chime. I sort of liked it, it wasn't annoying like most automotive alert noises.

One more question - what does that valet switch actually do? If it turns off the alarm, why wouldn't you just not set the alarm before turning it over to the valet? What other function would it have?

Thanks again, E

Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

Typically the valet switch is used to turn the alarm off when you give the car to someone, ie a valet :-) This prevents the alarm going off from something stupid, ie the valet leaves the window down and your motion sensors trigger when it's windy, or they unlock the door with the key and it trips your voltage sensor.

As we haven't got the manual for you yet, I would leave the valet switch alone right now..... there can be different ways to put the car into valet mode so we'd better not mess around until we know exactly how the Jaguar system works.

Another function of the valet switch is to program the alarm, ie set the chirps and light flashes, etc. Again, as we don't know much, it's best not to fiddle

Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Eaa

Originally Posted by Sarc
Typically the valet switch is used to turn the alarm off when you give the car to someone, ie a valet :-) This prevents the alarm going off from something stupid, ie the valet leaves the window down and your motion sensors trigger when it's windy, or they unlock the door with the key and it trips your voltage sensor.

As we haven't got the manual for you yet, I would leave the valet switch alone right now..... there can be different ways to put the car into valet mode so we'd better not mess around until we know exactly how the Jaguar system works.

Another function of the valet switch is to program the alarm, ie set the chirps and light flashes, etc. Again, as we don't know much, it's best not to fiddle
Too late - I did mess around with that switch - not with the alarm set though - and I'm not sure if it's in the original position now or not. I am inclined to just not use the alarm for now, at least not till I have a little more time to experiment, and also deal with the results of my experiments.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Hi all. Guess what.....? as l fitted this alarm to my '91 convert. myself, l do have the fitting and user instructions if anyone needs a copy.
Def. for the 92 MY not sure if its the same for '93 MY on though.

Eaa (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Eaa

>malc4d - I would greatly appreciate a copy of the alarm literature, if it's not too much trouble to scan and email or something similar.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member

Will do. PM me your email.

Eaa (07-22-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry....Forgot it was in the car,,,,,which was in the workshop. (radius arms) so hope to get it back tomorrow, Will scan asap

Eaa (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Eaa

Malc4d was kind enough to scan and send his manuals to me, which cleared up most of my questions - thank you Malc! For having only one button the system can do quite a lot, I haven't tested everything yet but what I have tried seems to be working correctly except for the led - it has never illuminated yet. By the way the "beedle-beedle" sound seems to indicate the valet mode is in effect.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
Will do. PM me your email.
Hello. I also have a problem with my 1989 XJS convertible remote control and would be very keen to obtain a copy of the instruction manual from you. Would that be possible please? I have the wee black square control unit with one white button in the middle and the valet switch on the steering column. It all stopped working 6 months ago and I have no idea where to start in the repair process. Many thanks

Last edited by Barbatbun; 10-29-2013 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Last edited by Barbatbun; 10-29-2013 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Duplicate, sorry
Old 11-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Eaa

Originally Posted by Barbatbun
Hello. I also have a problem with my 1989 XJS convertible remote control and would be very keen to obtain a copy of the instruction manual from you. Would that be possible please? I have the wee black square control unit with one white button in the middle and the valet switch on the steering column. It all stopped working 6 months ago and I have no idea where to start in the repair process. Many thanks
Just read this as I've been out of town (and out of touch) for some time. I'll try to send it in the next day or two, could you pm me your info?

Old 05-31-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eaa
Just read this as I've been out of town (and out of touch) for some time. I'll try to send it in the next day or two, could you pm me your info?
I don't have the fob how do you reset the system?
I have a 91vanden plas if that matters?

Old 06-01-2014, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member

I would think that without the fob, not easy.
You can get them from ebay., try in you country ( different frequency's) or Genuine Jaguar Parts and Jaguar Accessories for Classic Jaguars from Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malc4d
Hi all. Guess what.....? as l fitted this alarm to my '91 convert. myself, l do have the fitting and user instructions if anyone needs a copy.
Def. for the 92 MY not sure if its the same for '93 MY on though.
malc, if you could possibly scan and send me the key fob programming info, I would be deeply indebted to you. bob.mightyroar6@gmail.com

Old 07-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

I will try to find the file on my old computer and send it to you.

TGman (07-31-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

My '89 has afaik an original Jaguar alarm (steering cowl has a little switch beneath and a red LED flashing). I have one time triggered it by accident. Don't have a fob but I simply put the key in the ignition and turned to "II". It stopped then...!?

The switch and LED look factory fitted (the cowl has the matching uncut areas etc.)...

Can this be deactivated?

Quick Reply: 1991 Factory Alarm system? How does it work??