XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1994 v12 abs

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 v12 abs

When I rapidly press the brake pedal (or slam on it): the ABS and brake warning lights come on; I hear a "clicking" coming from the dash (which I have determined is the relay switch); the battery gage "jumps" -- I can feel it in the gear shift (corresponds with the clicking); and I hear the accumulator reservoir buzzing (this happens randomly whether I press the brake or not). Additonally, my handbrake does not work (though it will engage so as to allow me to raise and lower the top). Doug suggested that the accumulator reservoir is faulty and I believe he is right. Any other suggestions? Where can I get a new accumulator resrvoir for a decent price? How difficult is it to remove the faulty one and install the new one?

Last edited by cassidy; 04-07-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Ok, I've found that I can get a good deal on the accumulator reservoir from AC Delco (thank you Kirby Palm). Any clues on the handbrake issue?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

There's an adjustment on the handbrake/parking brake. Remove the wheel and you should see a hole in the center portion. The adjuster starwheel is just inside the hole and can be turned with a screwdriver.

There might be an actual defect/problem with the handbrake but often they're just out of adjustment

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
JagNewbie28 (07-26-2014)
Old 04-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
There's an adjustment on the handbrake/parking brake. Remove the wheel and you should see a hole in the center portion. The adjuster starwheel is just inside the hole and can be turned with a screwdriver.

There might be an actual defect/problem with the handbrake but often they're just out of adjustment

Cheers
DD
Forgive my ignorance Doug, but the wheel? Which wheel?

Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cassidy
Forgive my ignorance Doug, but the wheel? Which wheel?
Remove the rear wheel. While the main brakes are disk, the emergency brake is the old style drum/shoe with starwheel adjusters.

xjspaul
94 V12 Convertible

Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 PM

I found an accumulator reservoir on an 1990 Cadillac that will fit my car for 8.00. THe problem is I can't get it off the cadillac. Any suggestions?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 AM

I have determined that the clicking noise that corresponds with me pressing the brake is the relay switch underneath the dash on the right side. I don't know if it is repeatedly clicking because it is faulty, or because the accumulator reservoir is faulty, or both. All I know is that, despite working fine, the brake and ABS lights are coming on when I press the brake hard enough and I can feel the wheel starting to jerk to the right whenever I brake hard. Any ideas? Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced new relay switch (and the part number)?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

hate to throw out a possible red-herring but does the 1994 XJS have a brake-gearshift interlock? If so, you might be hearing the relay or solenoid for that system....which isn't related to the ABS. Later tonight I'll look up the diagrams.

Some guys remove the accumulator with a strap wrench. Make sure to depressurize the system first.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
hate to throw out a possible red-herring but does the 1994 XJS have a brake-gearshift interlock? If so, you might be hearing the relay or solenoid for that system....which isn't related to the ABS. Later tonight I'll look up the diagrams.

Some guys remove the accumulator with a strap wrench. Make sure to depressurize the system first.

Cheers
DD
Doug: As always, thanks for the response. I'm afraid I have no idea about the brake gearshift interlock. If it helps to asnwer your question, I can feel the clicking in the gearshift when I press the brake -- which I thought was curious to begin with. I am ordering the repair manual this weekend and have saved Kirby Palm's book to my hard drive, so hopefully my questions will start tapering off, as I am well aware of how many I ask. But I really do appreciate all the help and value this site more than you can imagine. I probably would have never even bought the car without it.

Interesting story: I try to drive the car at least a few times a week. Yesterday, after work, I went and met a friend for drinks and drove the car to the bar. When I pulled up, there was a fellow on the sidewalk talking on the phone. When I got out he hung up the phone and, with a look of awe, said "that thing is beautiful." He then proceed to walk over and look the car up and down and asked if he could see the engine, which I politely obliged. While he was looking at it, another gentleman came up and joined him, both of them ooing and awing. They were amazed at the condition and cleanliness and made be feel real good about my purchase. I know it's vain and cheesy, but it really reinforced my appreciation of the car.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

You DO have a gearshift interlock.

The transmission will not shift out of "P" unless your foot is on the brake. The stop lamp switch send a signal to the shift control module which in turn operates a solenoid. The solenoid makes a pronounced click when it releases the gearshift.

Once the transmission is out of "P" you should no longer hear/feel the click of the solenoid. If you do, a likely cause is the "Park switch"... which is in the console in front of the gearshift. This switch allows the solenoid to operate only when the gearshift is in "P".

On most models...not 100% sure on yours...the switch is a simple, generic micro-switch. It might have dirty contacts or need adjusting. If it needs replacing they are not expensive.

The ABS system does have a relay in the dash...RH side, behind the trim panel/knee panel. It's a yellow relay on the left side of the bank of relays you'll see when you remove the panel. If it's the one your hearing you should be able to hear/feel it operate when a helper pushes the brake.

I am not familiar enough with the system to know for a fact how/when the ABS relay should be activated but my gut feeling is that it should not operate every time you push the brake pedal. I think it's a relay for the hydraulic pump. If you have an accumulator problem then the pump (and hence the relay) might be energizing more frequently than it should...in an attempt to build accumulator pressure, perhaps.

Hopefully others will chime in with something more concrete on the ABS stuff.

As for your car drawing admiring onlookers...well...get used to it. And it's not vain or cheesy to feel good about owning a nice Jag. You have a great car and are proud of it, that's all. No shame in that.

You seem like a nice person who would never let the attention go to his head....which is a good thing because Jaguar owners should never be full of themselves or conceited. That would be bad form and reflect poorly on all other Jag owners. Friendly and low-key is the way to go.

(Hope you don't mind the un-solicited social/Jaguar ettiquette commentary)

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 PM

I know it's the yellow relay switch beneath the RH dash that I'm hearing click (I used a palm branch to depress the brake while I had the dash panel removed). I think you are probably right about the faulty accumulator causing the pump to engage an inordinate amout of time, and hence the relay clicking, because I have had the hood up and heard/seen the accumulator buzz/rattle while the engine is running and the brake is depressed. I think I am going to quit driving the car until I can replace the accumulator, as I'm afraid I'll burn the pump up (Kirby Palm stresses that the pump is not made for constant operation). What do you think about a used accumulator? As I mentioned previously, I found a used one for basically nothing, but I can't get the thing off (I'm going to buy a strap wrench this weekend).

And I don't mind the commentary at all. I truly appreciate all of your help. I have even mentioned the mysterious "Doug" to my wife. Your opinions and advise are valued in my house. Although I owned a classic Corvette for a while, I'm just not used to people being so interested in my car. Not a big deal, as I'm interested in other people's autos all the time. I'm happy to let them look and show them around. I only say it was vain because I did get sense of selfish pride out of the experience (give me a break, I'm an old school Anglican -- all good experiences inherently involve a healthy dose of guilt), and it was cheesy to share it with others. I guess I'm just not used to meeting folks that appreciate real well engineered vehicles like I do. It is a spectacular car though, even with its faults. My wife, whose an amateur photographer, is going to take some photos as soon as the weather allows. I'll be sure to post them.

I think you, and others around here, are a nice guy too. And when your other car is a ragged out 2003 Toyota Corolla, it's hard to let anything go to your head!

We are all here because we are all about the cars. So, I don't guess there's any reason to feel bad or guilty when we run into one of our own.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 PM

As I mentioned, I'm concerned that the relay keeps clicking and turning the pump on. I don't want to burn it up. So, what would happen if I just took the relay switch off until I can replace the accumulator reservoir? (forgive me if it is a stupid question, I'm not familiar with ABS systems -- though I seem to be learning a lot about them here lately!).

Old 04-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cassidy
As I mentioned, I'm concerned that the relay keeps clicking and turning the pump on. I don't want to burn it up. So, what would happen if I just took the relay switch off until I can replace the accumulator reservoir? (forgive me if it is a stupid question, I'm not familiar with ABS systems -- though I seem to be learning a lot about them here lately!).

On most systems/cars disabling the ABS simply means the brakes will function as conventional, non-ABS brakes.

In your case, though, I *think* you'll disable the rear brakes entirely.

Others will chime in, or you might get some info from Kirby's book.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We had the identical problem on our '91 and yes the accumulator was at fault.

I'd hit the brake, hear the relay click, the ABS then BRAKE warning lights would come on, then both go off after pressure in the pedal was applied.

I happened to mention this in a thread yesterday. See my replies in.....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...wannabe-51503/

Also a link to a GM parts supplier for the accumulator.

Now...... to remove it from the pump. It was difficult for me on our car, being on there so long. There's a allen screw fitting on the top, but pretty useless to remove it.

I had to remove the rubber mount pieces on the outer housing(in the pic the parts just behind the power connector) to allow a 1/2" drive extension, which fit in the hole perfectly, so I could use it as a "holder". Then I used a strap wrench to unscrew it. You must be very careful you don't strain the housing too much and break it. BTW, I recall Kirby's book said cycle the brake pedal many times before removing the bottle. I think I hit it 100 times to be sure. I then wrapped rags all around the accumulator before I finally unscrewed it. Nothing leaked out!

Rich
p.s. pics are recent, showing with the new GM accumulator I got from my dealer parts dept.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 v12 abs-p4160059.jpg   1994 v12 abs-p4160060.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the input Rich. I've definitely resolved myself to buying a new accumulator. What's your thoughts on buying a used one? What about my idea to disable the ABS system until I am able to replace it? It kills me to look at that beautiful car in the drive and not being about to take it for a drive without the fear of burning up the pump.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:08 PM

If my choice I would spring for the new one. What if 2 months later the used one acts up? I like to minimize risk with these cars.

Maybe disconnect the relay underdash, or the connector at the brake pump for now, but beware of other gremlins. I believe the pump/accumulator is only for the rear brakes so you may not notice with regular stops, but a harsh stop may be a bit weaker. Be careful!

FWIW, I noticed a big difference with the new accumulator when it came to stopping power. You may notice no difference now with it disabled, but you will be pleasantly surprised when it's 100% again.

Rich

Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

I wouldn't remove the yellow ABS Pump Relay and continue to drive the car. That would leave you with no brake assist at all, and a very hard car to stop.
The failed accumulator is why the relay energizes every time you hit the brake. The way it works is the pump runs to charge and store hydraulic pressure in the accumulator. A good one fully charged will give several brake applications before the pump has to run again and recharge it. When the accumulator fails, the only assist you have is what the running pump can provide, and running all the time will bring about an early failure large expense.

Here is an earlier post I wrote about it in another thread.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...88/#post298057

Hope that helps.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 PM

Steve, Good info.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 PM

My new accumulator came in the mail today and I am looking forward to installing it when I get home -- I haven't driven the car in over a week, other than to move it when mowing the lawn. I really hope this alleviates my problem.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Guys, I've been out there trying to get that blasted thing unscrewed (using a slap wrench) for the better part of an hour. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: 1994 v12 abs