XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1994 XJS Convertible 2+2 Trunk Lock Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink 1994 XJS Convertible 2+2 Trunk Lock Assembly

I have a 1994 Jaguar XJS 2+2 convertible US Left hand drive that is a project car. I last used the forum in 2013 and had a 97 XK8 then. Working on this XJS now and have not been able to find any information on the trunk lock on the forum. The trunk lock was missing from my XJS when I bought it. (as were a lot of parts) I purchased a lock and key on eBay but not sure how to install it. I purchased a service and repair manual from eManualonline.com but I cannot find any installation info. Can someone tell me what book or manual would show that information so I can install the replacement trunk lock. Would a Chiltons or a Haynes repair manual have the information I need? I think I have the correct lock but not sure how to install it plus I don't think the plugs match what is in the trunk lid or the plugs are hard to fit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob.

bobbkc@kc.rr.com

Old 01-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts
Old 01-09-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks. I don't have a part number on the lock I have but it looks like the one in the picture. That link shows the parts but do you know of a manual available that would show how to install or replace the lock. I have a coffee can the seller gave me that has some parts in it and I recognize a couple of them from the diagram in the link but that is as far as I get. I am going to need a good manual anyway for other parts I have to install on this project car. I will purchase a manual but they cost a fortune and want to make sure I get the right one. the one I purchased was a pdf zip file and has a lot of information but looks like a copy of a copy of a copy and does not get into r & r of parts. I don't need anything about the engine or transmission. But lots of body and interior parts have to be replaced. Thanks, Bob.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 AM
Exclamation

Hi, i guess i am asking the wrong question. Can anyone tell me where i can find a diagram of the trunk lock system and how all the parts connect? I have a new lock with a key but the existing lock was gone when i got the car. A link to the parts don't really do me any good unless it shows all of the parts and how they connect including the electrical hookup and any linkage involved. I have a few parts the previous owner left me in a coffee can but not many. I purchased car on ebay and was totally deceived. Seller refunded me almost all of the money i paid for it but not all. I am determined to restore this car or at least replace all of the parts that were stripped off of it. I don't want to junk it and i don't have the room to keep it and part it out. Please let me know if you can help out here. I have purchased 2 online pdf manuals now that do not give any detailed information on this. Going to purchase a repair manual on ebay if they send me a table of contents so i know it has the information i need. Already dropped too much money to try and install this one item. Thanks, Bob.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbkc
Hi, i guess i am asking the wrong question. Can anyone tell me where i can find a diagram of the trunk lock system and how all the parts connect?

I don't know of any manuals that are written or illustrated in such a way to address your dilemma; that is, none have a section titled "How to assemble an assortment of loose parts to form a functioning mechanism"

Hopefully someone with a like model can send some pics of a fully assembled latch and lock assembly so you can see the lay of the land, so to speak.

I've been in your shoes a few times and know how frustrating it can be!

For many popular older American cars (Mustangs, Corvettes, etc) you can buy the factory *assembly* manuals which illustrate exactly how everything was installed as the car was being built. This is quite different than a service manual or parts catalog. I'm not aware of any such publications for Jaguars.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 01-11-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Man, I'm afraid you might have to find an existing XJS to look at as a reference. I'll try to snap some pics this weekend, but I'm not sure it will show you everything you will need to see?

I've attached the only pics I have taken in the past.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 XJS Convertible 2+2 Trunk Lock Assembly-img_4769.jpg   1994 XJS Convertible 2+2 Trunk Lock Assembly-img_4770.jpg   1994 XJS Convertible 2+2 Trunk Lock Assembly-img_4771.jpg   1994 XJS Convertible 2+2 Trunk Lock Assembly-img_4772.jpg  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Malc's excerpt from a part catalog and Vee's pictures are probably as good as you are going to get.

Are there any parts of the latch and or lock on the car itself?

I would lay out the stuff you got from Ebay on a clean surface. Compare to the drawing and see if you can do a couple of things. First, are all or at least the major parts present. Second, seek to organize them as they would function. Third arrange as they would bolt in to the car.

I see three main groups:

A. Lock assembly, in which the key fits.
B. Latch assembly to fasten the boot lid to the chassis.
C. The "hook" on the chassis in which the latch attaches.

If you post pictures of the parts you have laid out and of whatever is on the car, others more familiar with the car can help.

Or, are there any "parts yards" in your area that just might have a similar car n residence. See how installed. or buy another latch complete. perhaps the whole
boot lid!!!!

Carl

Old 01-13-2017, 12:34 AM

Thanks everyone for the response. I tried a local import salvage yard. They had parts for my XK8 when I had that but they don't have trunk parts for my 94 XJS. I will check want ads to see if any are for sale locally but I have not seen one for sale around here for a while. I have attached some pictures. #1 is an image of the inside of the trunk where I would imagine the trunk lock and trunk latch would be attached. Along with 3 wire connectors. However I think the trunk is missing one black 4 pin connector that I have on the trunk lock I bought. #3 is a bunch of parts in a coffee can the seller sent to me. figure most of them are for the trunk. #4 is of a trunk lock and key I purchased on ebay. Looks to be I good shape. #5 is of a trunk latch I bought on ebay. it looks like new and probably is.

The original trunk lock was in the coffee can and got lost at some point before I posted this. It looked like the seller may have drilled the trunk lock at some point as it was torn up pretty bad. This car had almost all of the chrome removed I think so they could repaint it. My best guess is that the car was repainted about 4 years ago and had been in storage the last 2 years. I had some parts in the trunk like the power antenna a 6 disk cd player and a few other items but not much. all of the carpet in the trunk has been removed. It almost looks like they were getting ready to part out this car. Of course I would never had purchased the car if the seller had not completely lied to me and on the listing. He knew it. He gave me most of my money back I paid for the car but not all. Plus I had paid $800 to have it delivered here so I sort of had to take what he offered. No way I was going to pay to have it delivered back to him without a full refund. So at this point I am determined to try and save this car. it has 72,000+ miles on it that I believe to be true due to the Carfax history. I had the car checked out at a import repair shop near here and they think the motor and transmission are in good shape. Seems to drive great. Think the car may have been left out in the sun in Florida a lot and cased it to deteriorate early. I am following an ebay shop manual on ebay now for $84.95 that I plan to get when I get some money. Plus I have already purchased different online shop manuals now that did not cost that much but the amount on this is starting to add up. I still don't know if this ebay manual will show the trunk installation process. I think what I need is a picture of the inside of the trunk lid to show how all of this looks when hooked up. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Bob.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

If you can be a little patient with me, I'll take pictures over the weekend...as best I can.

thise parts that you posted as purchased all look very familiar, so you seem to have the right pieces.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Whew, a jig saw puzzle with extras to confuse one!!!

1. The deck lid should have a hole for the lock assembly. Look for it on the outside, I'd guess lower center. All that should show with the lock in is the key tumbler and the bezel. Now look inside at the same location. That is where the body of the latch goes.

2. Your first picture is a bit blurry, but, I think I see operating levers. Two things happen here, I think. One, the key operates the latch. Two, or, the latch is operated by an electric solenoid. The latch seems to belong in the square hole pictured.

3. The lower lip of the chassis should have a U shaped bar for the latch "hook" to engage and so hold the deck lid closed. Picture ?

Carl

Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Coffee can of parts

I see that you have parts in the photos that have nothing to do with the trunk lock and this is why it can be confusing. For example, the one wire with a connector on one end with the aluminum round part on the other, a plastic coil wrap and rubber bushing is a brake sensor. I will post a photo of the whole unit which clips onto the lever that I see in one of your photos located in the opening where the lock assembly connects. I think you will be oK with what you have.

I am posting an article in the next day or so on how to buy an XJS and hopefully, you are one who thought it was the deal of the century.

LeRoy

Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Hope this helps.

The second picture is taken with me holding the trunk button down.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 XJS Convertible 2+2 Trunk Lock Assembly-img_5460.jpg   1994 XJS Convertible 2+2 Trunk Lock Assembly-img_5461.jpg  
Old 01-15-2017, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the images. I will not be able to work on the car for a couple of weeks now but sure the images will help. If you send me your email I can send you a list of all of the things the seller hid from me during the sale. I am reluctant to post the ebay ad here but I guess it does not matter much. The link to the ad is 1994 Jaguar XJS LEATHER | eBay
I don't know how long the link will work. I did not think I was getting the deal of a lifetime but I bid on a no reserve auction with 36 other bidders. I probably have a list of 40 + missing parts and mechanical work needed. Too much for here but might be of interest if you are making some kind of guide. Again, thanks for the images. Bob.