XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1995 XJS Parts For Sale Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1995 XJS Parts For Sale Maybe

I am torn with this. I bought the car for a project, thinking it needed only a few things done to it.

First thing it needed was either a new trans, or a rebuild. I opted for the rebuild with the warranty. Unfortunately somewhere between the trans computer and the cars computer, there is a disconnect and the car is still stuck in limp mode.

Took it to a place that does European only cars, they had it for a month and a half and couldn't find a thing. Nor could they fix it. However much to my dismay, what they DID find left me with a sinking feeling in my gut. It appeared that the previous owner had either cobbled the suspension, or his mechanic had and the control arms on the rearend were welded to chunks of square tubing, which were welded to the underneath of the body.

Guess what allowed the axle to flex? The sheet metal. And due to wonderful midwest salt and rust issues these cars face, my body is to rotted to repair.

SO. I have a V-12, 6.0L, a 4L80-E transmission, and what ever pieces parts that are still salvageable for sale. The only thing I have a die hard price on is the trans. I spent 1800 getting it completely rebuilt along with a 3 year warranty and it has MAYBE 50 miles on it. Everything else on the car, ask me for pictures, I will send them, and make me an offer I guess? Not sure.

Another thing is I am possibly going to be doing a HUGE relocation. Moving from Detroit area in Michigan headed to Winston-Salem, NC. I am still on the fence about selling it, and hoping to find one somewhere soon that has either an engine burn or some minor front end damage and transplant my powerplant and trans, then give it a facelift using my fenders, hood and grill.....

Not sure. Any suggestions or ideas?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car.

Its a shame, it being a 95 V12.

If you decide to part it there are a few things I would be interested in. Ill PM you a list

Thanks!!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

My 1st thought was why did the transmission repair shop fail to tell you about the rust issues rather than charge you $1800? My second thought was why did it take the 2nd shop a month and a half to tell you?
It stinks that the car is unrepairable, but its just insult to injury that they wasted your time and money!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, hate to hear of a XJS going to parts. I would love to drive a V12 sometime. I have a 95 4.0. If you do go the route of parting it out. I too would like to send you my wish list. Lets hope it doesn't come to that.
Best of Luck,
Ron

Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

same here would love to buy some parts if you do part this car out.

Good luck Mark

Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

The jag guy inside of me says "fix it, fix it, fix it!!!" I always hate to see a jag go. But if it must, let me know because I will definitely be interested in parts.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by 86jag
The jag guy inside of me says "fix it, fix it, fix it!!!" I always hate to see a jag go. But if it must, let me know because I will definitely be interested in parts.
Oh and I can completely agree with that guy too. Thing is, at this time, I am facing a lay off (But according to Osama the job market is doing better??), I have nothing postively nailed down for a new job in the state I am living, nor do I have chassis/ body experience to fix the issues this thing has. Sat and had been driven for 16+ years in Detroit area year round with rain, snow and salt.... The salt had rotted the whole underside as well as some of the mounts for control arms for the rear and front. I have no torch, no sheet metal working experience and body shops (and i am sure being it's a "Jaguar") tell me it would be around 50 to 70,000 to repair all the cancer.

So I am looking for a southern car, burnt motor or slight front end damage to the body, so take my engine and trans and replace it with. My front fenders, hood and grill are all still good too so if those are messed up on the donor car, I will pull mine and replace them on the new one.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm so sorry - for the car and the job situation. That just sucks. I don't know if the 95 will work, but if it would, I'd be interested in the rear window motors (if it's a convertible, and if they can work on a 1990) should you have to take her apart.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by gkazimir
I'm so sorry - for the car and the job situation. That just sucks. I don't know if the 95 will work, but if it would, I'd be interested in the rear window motors (if it's a convertible, and if they can work on a 1990) should you have to take her apart.
Sorry. It's not a convertible and does not have adjustable rear windows. Only the ones in the doors roll down.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by NtAFord
So I am looking for a southern car, burnt motor or slight front end damage to the body, so take my engine and trans and replace it with. My front fenders, hood and grill are all still good too so if those are messed up on the donor car, I will pull mine and replace them on the new one.
So all that being said, are you locked into finding another 6.0, or could you do a transplant into a 4.0 car?

I can't help either way, I was just wondering if you were limited to finding another 6.0 or could you do a transplant into the 4.0 as well...depending on what you were leaving behind, it could just be easier to find the 4.0, as those sixes were rather rare, as I'm sure you know.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn! That just sucks!

Marty.......................

Sent you a PM.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vee
So all that being said, are you locked into finding another 6.0, or could you do a transplant into a 4.0 car?

I can't help either way, I was just wondering if you were limited to finding another 6.0 or could you do a transplant into the 4.0 as well...depending on what you were leaving behind, it could just be easier to find the 4.0, as those sixes were rather rare, as I'm sure you know.
From what I understand, being my transmission cannot communicate with the engines computer, I think having it be a V-12 is what I need to find so that the computer on the transplant car can be used instead of mine. Plus I was told too that the cooling systems, wiring harnesses (if there are any left after a burn) shouild all be the same too.

I would think for ease of doing the swap, it should be a 6.0 for a 6.0.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

There's a '94 in black with the 6.0 for sale in Owings Mill, MD (check Craigslist)

$2,800 but there's work to be done.

Oh, its a convertible.