XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1996 4L XJS Fuel pump relay location

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:19 AM
Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 1996 4L XJS Fuel pump relay location

I am getting ready to take her up North for a couple of weeks and visit some old friends and family in Mich., Ohio & NY.

I am putting in some new fuel injectors. Everything I have read refers to a Silver relay with Blk/Yellow base in the rear trunk/boot area.

Here is what I have located

The repair manual refers to removing the Silver Relay w/blk & yellow base so that I can depressurize the fuel line system.

1. 6 relays located above the battery and next to the ECU. Looking into the trunk from left to right red--blk--gr--blu--yellow--natural color

2. All of the relays are Hella light purple color w/#003-520-47

Can I assume that the yellow base second from right is the fuel pump relay?

As always thanks for your help.

Softball60/Paul

Old 08-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,511 Likes on 1,177 Posts

When I did this, I tapped that fuel cutoff switch at the passengers side door hinge area. That disables the fuel pump. Trip that switch, then start the engine for a second or two to depressurize the lines.

Make sure you have some rags. You'll still have a sizeable amount of (depressurized) fuel pouring out of the lines.

The following users liked this post:
Softball60 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I think that you're probably looking at the 6 relays that control the hood and rear windows. The fuel pump relay is hidden on the right hand side behind the trim panel and in the right hand rear inner wing. Remove the side trim and look forward towards the recess above the wheel arch. It's in there.

Hope that helps.

Psul

The following users liked this post:
Softball60 (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 07:14 AM

Thanks for both of the responses.

I figured that out yesterday but was too embarrassed to admit it.

It sets next to two (2) light blue relays on the wheel arch.

Softball60/Paul

Old 08-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Received 303 Likes on 200 Posts

Why would you need to remove the relay? Just disconnect the battery and when the you disconnect the fuel line, sure it sprays a little. Just don't be smoking cigarettes.

I only say that because to get to that relay on a facelift XJS you really need to have small hands and know exactly where the relay is, or take out the large black metal plate in the trunk where the boot strut connects just to find the damn thing.

If you really don't want a brief fuel spray, another idea is to purposely trip the inertia switch on the passenger door jam. It has a plunger on top, just pull it up (or push it down?) and the fuel pump is disabled. The you can attempt to start the car which will draw down the fuel pressure.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:47 PM

To ALL,

I have finished and it only took me 6 hrs????

The reason for the lengthy time is because I had to take it apart and put it back together 4 times and swimming breaks in the pool to cool down.....till I figured out I had a bad injector.

Anyway, I put one of my old injectors back in on the 4th try and It started to purr again!!!!!

The relay was easy to get to because it was just laying on the wheel arch?? someone must have taken it apart before my time....Iv'e had the car for 4yrs.

Not too difficult a job!! minus the screwed up injector. The company is shipping me a new one, Lifetime warranty go figure

Softball60/Paul