XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

6.0 V12 Cranks, no start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 317 Likes on 190 Posts
Default 6.0 V12 Cranks, no start.

It is a 1994 XJ12. Posting in here, because I know the V12s came mostly in the XJS.

So the car cranks freely, but doesn't fire up. With that said, I do smell an electrical burning smell. The smell seems to be coming by the fan shroud area, left side. Any suggestions on where to look?

Old 11-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't know about the smell, but the car needs three things to start. Air (Usually not a problem unless the air filters are really bad), gas and spark.

First check for spark. If you have a spark plug tester, use it. If no spark, I would suspect the crank or flywheel sensor.

Does the fuel pump run when you turn the key to the run position? If not, check the fuel cut off switch and the fuel pump relay.

These are not the only things that would prevent it from starting, but they are simple and basic.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 317 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by mghirsch
I don't know about the smell, but the car needs three things to start. Air (Usually not a problem unless the air filters are really bad), gas and spark.

First check for spark. If you have a spark plug tester, use it. If no spark, I would suspect the crank or flywheel sensor.

Does the fuel pump run when you turn the key to the run position? If not, check the fuel cut off switch and the fuel pump relay.

These are not the only things that would prevent it from starting, but they are simple and basic.
It is my friend's car. Just trying to help him with it. Yes, I can check spark and fuel pressure no problem.