XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

86 XJS Radio Code stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 86 XJS Radio Code stopped working

Hi there,

I'm writing for my mother actually (who is somewhat computer illiterate). She owns an 86 XJS in mint condition and she just got it out of winter storage this week. I usually help her out with reconnecting the battery and so on, which I did once again.

Except... this year the radio code we have doesn't work for some reason. We have the original paperwork with the actual Jaguar sticked with the code and SN for the radio, and obviously I can vouch nothing has changed since last year. Yet, even if we used the same code over and over every year, today there was nothing to do.

We punch in the 5 digits (car & radio on) we hear the beep, but the radio sticks to "CODE" and does not work.

At first my mum did it, and I thought maybe she made a mistake on it, so we waited another hour - which I understand is the reset time - then I punched in the code. Nothing.

Any ideas? I really want to avoid having to call Jag because there are no dealers around my mother's and I'm flying out tomorrow for two weeks.

Thanks!
Denis

Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDenis
Hi there,

I'm writing for my mother actually (who is somewhat computer illiterate). She owns an 86 XJS in mint condition and she just got it out of winter storage this week. I usually help her out with reconnecting the battery and so on, which I did once again.

Except... this year the radio code we have doesn't work for some reason. We have the original paperwork with the actual Jaguar sticked with the code and SN for the radio, and obviously I can vouch nothing has changed since last year. Yet, even if we used the same code over and over every year, today there was nothing to do.

We punch in the 5 digits (car & radio on) we hear the beep, but the radio sticks to "CODE" and does not work.

At first my mum did it, and I thought maybe she made a mistake on it, so we waited another hour - which I understand is the reset time - then I punched in the code. Nothing.

Any ideas? I really want to avoid having to call Jag because there are no dealers around my mother's and I'm flying out tomorrow for two weeks.

Thanks!
Denis
You don't say in your post. Are you waiting the hour with the ignition in the accessory position and the radio powered on?? That is required for the radio to code reset.

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
MrDenis (05-15-2013), WatchGuy (05-06-2023)
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM

That's exactly why I asked! I had no idea I had to keep it on, thank you Steve!

I assume that keeping the car running would have the same effect? Because I'm afraid the battery won't hold up to an hours on stand by like that.

Thanks again.
Denis

Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

That's exactly why I asked! I had no idea I had to keep it on, thank you Steve!

I assume that keeping the car running would have the same effect? Because I'm afraid the battery won't hold up to an hours on stand by like that.

Thanks again.
Denis
Yes, the car running should still get the job done. I usually use a battery charger during the one hour wait, though. However, a good, fully charged battery should survive the wait, too.

Cheers,

Old 05-06-2023, 09:45 PM
Received 79 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
You don't say in your post. Are you waiting the hour with the ignition in the accessory position and the radio powered on?? That is required for the radio to code reset.

Cheers,
I know this is a really old post but I was experiencing the same issue and this did the trick. Thank you

Old 05-08-2023, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by WatchGuy
I know this is a really old post but I was experiencing the same issue and this did the trick. Thank you
Wow this is an old post

Unfortunately, we sold the old girl a couple years ago and I don't remember exactly how we had fixed it... But if I remember right, it never worked for a whole season and we stored it for winter; then when we started it back up I punched in the code and it worked again. So (again my memory notwithstanding) it seems a battery disconnect and long reset did the trick.

Hope you get it to work!
Still miss that car....

Old 05-08-2023, 06:35 AM
Received 79 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow this is an old post

Unfortunately, we sold the old girl a couple years ago and I don't remember exactly how we had fixed it... But if I remember right, it never worked for a whole season and we stored it for winter; then when we started it back up I punched in the code and it worked again. So (again my memory notwithstanding) it seems a battery disconnect and long reset did the trick.

Hope you get it to work!
Still miss that car....
We got it to work by waiting an hour, thankfully.