XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

89 XJS Electrical Issue

Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry 89 XJS Electrical Issue

Hello everyone,

I'm having the most frustrating problem for the past 4 months. I have to dash instrument cluster lights. The top section ( turn signal, ABS, etc.) all light up as supposed to. when my light are turned on, my oil and temp gauges spike to the top, I've played around with the rheostat removing the cables and switching them around, I will get some of the interior lights to work but the gauges will spike and visa-a-versa. Also 3 weeks ago i almost had an electrical fire, my headlights wouldn't turn off. I raised the hood and found the power wire from the headlights burnt and sparking, I had to replace that wire. Also, when removing the little black fuse cover left fender, I noticed the below images. Where is this wire supposed to go? And any help with my electrical will be so much appreciated. I also included the picture of the burnt brown wire

Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry forgot to attached the burnt wire.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by bocagq45
Hello everyone,

[FONT=Verdana]I'm having the most frustrating problem for the past 4 months. I have to dash instrument cluster lights. The top section ( turn signal, ABS, etc.) all light up as supposed to. when my light are turned on, my oil and temp gauges spike to the top, I've played around with the rheostat removing the cables and switching them around, I will get some of the interior lights to work but the gauges will spike and visa-a-versa.

Most likely you have a bad ground. Remove the cluster (there's a recent thread on this) and carefully clean all the contact points on the printed circuit. Add a redundant ground to the cluster while you're there.....using the metal bar at the top of the cluster (or is it the bottom?...I forget)

Also 3 weeks ago i almost had an electrical fire, my headlights wouldn't turn off. I raised the hood and found the power wire from the headlights burnt and sparking, I had to replace that wire. Also, when removing the little black fuse cover left fender, I noticed the below images. Where is this wire supposed to go? And any help with my electrical will be so much appreciated. I also included the picture of the burnt brown wire

That's the cooling fan fuse. The brown wire most likely goes to the "+" post on the firewall....near the brake booster. that supplies the fuse with constant 12v. After the fuse the wires goes to the cooling fan relay.

The wire may have outright shorted, or perahsp the fuse was loose/dirty and excessive resistance overheated the wire....or there's a problem downstream of the fuse.

Cheers
DD