XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

'96 XJS Celebration Door Locking issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default '96 XJS Celebration Door Locking issue

Hi everyone,

Just a second opinion on something that I have been having issues with for some time on my '96 XJS. About six months.

I'm not sure if it's actuator or lock related so just after some opinions or experience from other owners

Door issue is drivers side.

When I unlock the car with the key, absolutely no issues.

When I unlock the car using the fob you can feel the actuator move but it doesn't fully unlock the door, however after two or three tries it works fine.

The other slightly odd issue is sometimes when I close the door the lock must move slightly and I get locked in! lol

Doesn't matter how many times I move the lock paddle inside the door the door will not unlock. I have to wind the window down and put the key into the lock and unlock it that way.

Again as above after a few "lock/unlocks" the issue disappears.

I've taken the door trim off and tried a few adjustments on the rods to see if that helps. I think it may have cured the second issue but the actuator is still a bit random with unlocking the door.

My first plan is possibly to remove the entire lock assembly and just completely clean it down and lubricate it again. I usually do this every year from inside the door but I'm just wondering if there's more rubbish/corrosion in there than I can see.

I'm afraid I have to leave the car outside and maybe there's too much corrosion in there for the lock to function properly.

I have found a few actuators on EBAY in the US and I am considering one though.

I assume the motor gets "tired" and maybe can't generate enough strength to pull the lock, however watching it from inside the car it seems fine.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

How old is your battery. I have found that the automatic locks are the first thing that signals your battery is almost done.

sounds crazy, but it may be the battery.

The following users liked this post:
Andrew Harper (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I think I've sorted it.

I adjusted both the top rod and the bottom one on the linkage.

The door handle now opens the door much earlier in it's travel (rather than near the end) and that seems to have sorted the problems I was having.

There could still be a slight issue maybe with the lock mechanism but I've lubricated everything again just in case, fingers crossed this solves the problem.

I've driven around with the door trim off for a week and so far so good!