XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

96 XJS new alt and starter and still not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 XJS new alt and starter and still not working

3 years ago I totaled my prized black 94 xjs. I have missed it bad and wanted another. Well I found a black 96 recently and bought it. He told me he thought the alternator was bad because it was running off the battery when running. With a charged battery it started right up and i drive it home. Once home I tried to start it again and the starter froze up. So I purchased a used starter and a refurbished alternator. Installed both and she started right up. I took it for a ride only to learn that it was still not charging. Once I got battery charged back up this starter no longer works. I have cleaned and tightened the battery terminals, battery ground cable, positive wire connections from battery, and upper right entire bulkhead that connects alternator and starter wires. When I try to start it there is clicking at the starter and in the trunk and the battery and has have go up and down as it clicks. I'm at a loss. Has anyone ever had this problem and can give me advice?

Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Try doing a voltage drop test on the starting system and see what you get from there.

You may need to add a lead to your multimeter because of the remote battery location. Test is something like this:
Voltage Drop Test: Testing the Starter Circuit

Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Rod James,

I'd also suggest checking that voltage before, and during starting simultaneously at the battery and also at the bulkhead positive and negative terminals (you have both). I suspect the problem lies in either the earth or positive leads that run from the rear to the front of the car.

Good luck

Paul

Old 11-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,426 Likes on 629 Posts

I don't have anything else constructive to add that hasn't already been said, but I'm dying to know - is there still a Shoney's in Anniston off of I-20?