XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

AC rebuild/Condenser

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
Default AC rebuild/Condenser

Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to replace the AC compressor (clutch burned up) along with the expansion valve and receiver dryer in my '95. with new. Part of the job requires a system flush and evacuation and my question; Can I get a good flush of the factory AC condenser? I have no problem with replacing the OEM with new. I ask because some condesers will flush and some won't. I had no problems with leaks or deterioration of the condenser prior to the compressor clutch burning up. I'm just trying to save a little work for myself as I don't have ahelluvalotta free time.

Thank you,
Roger

Old 06-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can replace the clutch without opening the system. The clutch bolts on the outside of the compressor and replacement clutches can be purchased seperately. If you do open the system to replace the whole compressor a vaccum pump will boil out the moisture in the system at room temperature, it is not necessary to replace anything else.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 AM

Thanks Whitemist. I'm concerned that a I won't be able to properly flush that condenser when I replace the compressor. I'm inclined to believe that 18 summers of heavy use just wore the compressor out, thereby dumping debris and contamination into the AC system and the factory condenser, which I believe is a parallel flow, can't be completely flushed. I have a little more research to do...

Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless the compressor packed it in when running, contamination is usually in the form of moisture.

The clutches cycle on and off when running so they are more like brake pads wearing out, and have a much shorter life than the compressor. If the compressor hasn't been leaking out the front seal and lossing gas, which would have been noticeable by diminished cooling and needing frequent re-charging even if the car is being used(when they sit the ceramic seal on the compressor dries out so it is normal to loose gas).

A fresh compressor is always good, but if you open up the system to install it you should pull a vaccum on the system before recharging it which probably means a trip to a shop. I have a large tank of R22 which has a high latent pressure so in addition to pulling a vaccum I charge the system with R22 which also attracts moisture as well as allowing a leak check at the operating pressures of the system when the compressor is running without actually running the system.

If the system was working fine until the clutch pooched, one nut and one wire is probably all you have to deal with (after you've loosened the belt)

Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 AM

The clutch/compressor packed it in while running. 90 plus day, stopped at a redlight, I could smell "burning brakes" and warm air began flowing from the vents. BTW I do have a vacuum pump and a set of guages.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:31 AM

I had an opportunity over the weekend to review in deatail the JDHT service CD section re the AC and we can. indeed, flush the condenser. So along with saving the better part of $200.00 I will also save myself some additional work. I am going to try to rebuild my AC system sometime in the next few weeks.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

if the expansion valve is in the same place on yours as my 88 then good luck mate. I did that job a few weeks ago to fix my ac (which i successfully flushed btw) and it was a huge PITA. i looked up pics and googled all over trying to get tips and none of them looks like mine which had all this goop on it and a metal shelf underneath it.

I tried to think of special tools to help me for a while....it came down to just using hand wrenches and getting through it like the other jobs on the XJS that make it what is is like the rear brakes and power steering.