XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Advice regarding 1994 XJS

Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice regarding 1994 XJS

I have found an (apparently) uber nice 1994 XJS convertible with 55K miles on it that I am considering buying. I don't want it as an everyday car, just something I can cruise up and down the coast in on weekends and to take on the occassional 500-600 mile round trip holiday. Can anyone offer any advice on this particular model (I'm unaware if it is the 4 liter or 6 liter engine)? The asking price is $11,500. It appears to be in pristine condition (no apparent rust, interior is immaculate), though I have not examined it under the hood yet. What type of yearly repairs can I expect? Are there any recurring maintenance issues I should be concerned with? I really want something that is reliable and that I can look forward to enjoying for the long haul as opposed to something that is going to costs me a fortune in repairs and that will spend most of its time in the shop. My first car was a 1973 Corvette (it was 23 years old and in like new condition when my folks gave it to me) and deep down I think I am just looking for something that can replicate the feeling I got from it. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Those later XJSs were pretty darn good cars. It should be as reliable as any other 16 year old high-end luxury/sports car that is loaded with complicated luxury gizmos.

It normal for a used car to need some repairs and it would be a good idea to spend some money on a major servicing unless records prove it has recently been done. After the initial after-purchase expenses it shouldn't be too expensive to run. Oh, you might eventually need a starter or water pump or some such repairs but that's typical of any older used car.

If you are expecting a Toyota-esque never-lift-the-hood and never-spend-a-dime ownership experience, well, you're probably looking at the wrong age and class of automobile!

The 4.0 litre 6 cylinder is generally less expensive to maintain and easier to live with than the V12. I wouldn't actaully seek out the V12 unless you've decided that you just gotta own a 12 cylinder car before you die....a notion which isn't necessarily sensible but is 101% understandable. A '94 V12 will be the 6.0 litre version...a real powerhouse which might be too much for a man to resist. But, if it has the 6 cylinder, you're still getting a great car.

An XJS isn't going to feel very much like a '73 Corvette. That can be good or bad depending on what you're after :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 08-29-2010, 11:28 AM

Doug, thanks for the quick response. Although I hope the car is the 12 cylinder, it won't be a deal breaker if it is only the 6. Can you offer any advice on the $11,500 price tag? Is that too much? I have compared it to other XJSs on autotrader.com and ebay and it seems average for the mileage. Also, can you give me an idea how much "major servicing" will costs, as I think that should be factored into to purchase price. The gentleman that is selling it bought it off a friend whose mother had purchased it brand new - he bought it "flip" it and has never driven it for any considerable distance, so he is not able to inform me on the maintenance record. Again, thanks for the help.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

A major service would be several hundred dollars at minimum---change/flush ALL fluids, replace all filters, repack wheel bearings, replace spark plugs, etc

I'm not really up on XJS market values to be honest. Convertibles are generally worth more and if it's the V12 it would be worth more....as not many were built with that engine after '93. To me the price sounds a bit high given current market conditions but if it's an extra nice example it might be worth it.

A few months ago I spoke with a guy who bought a '94 XJS Coupe V12 with 30k miles for about $9000....down from an asking price of $16k. It needed tires, brakes, and the front bumper repainted.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 PM

In the past 2-3 months, I've seen several '94 and '95 XJS cars, all with V12. Asking prices were all above $10K and every seller cited the rarity of the car as the reason for it. KBB and NADA values are in the same range too, so I think you won't be able to find anything with so few miles for less.
If the car is in a pristine shape, both inside and out, I think the price is fair. All the cars I'd seen had issues - either noises, rattle, A/C, power steering, soft tops, alternator, cosmetic faults, etc.
I don't have the experience the other guys on this forum have, but it is my understanding that many of the shortcomings of the previous generations XJS V12 engines are not common to the 6.0L. Gearing is also different and the car should feel much quicker from the line.
Let us know what you find under the hood and how the car handles on the road. Good luck...!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had two 5.3 V12 Jaguars and it's true that everyone should experience the uncanny smoothness and power before they pop their clogs ---- BUT
the V12 apparently adds approx. 200 lbs to the weight of a six cylinder car ! I never managed more than 15 mpg with a light foot and more like 10 mpg on a spirited drive The 6.0L V12 should fare a little better but not much.
From the e-type production line an early 5.3L V12

Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I called the seller today and he informed me that it is the 6 cylinder engine rather than the 12. I was heart broken, to say the least, but still interested in the car. Once I expressed my disappointment, we started talking about the price and I got him down to $10,500. Assuming everything checks out (I am trying to schedule a time to take it by a local mechanic for inspection), what say ye about the $10,500 price tag for the 6 cylinder engine? Again, thanks for all the help.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:23 PM

I'm still wrestling with whether or not to by the aforementioned 1994 XJS, which I have learned is a V6 with 65k miles. I test drove it and it sounds and runs very very well. The check engine light is on and there is a noise coming from the from passenger side wheel that I couldn't identify. I could also feel it in the steering. I really want to pull the trigger and just buy the thing, but as I said earlier, I don't want to spend a ton on maintenance. Any idea what the noise could be? The check engine light? The price is now $10500. KBB value is only $9,000 for this model in excellent condition, but all other comps I found on ebay, autotrader and craigslist were in the $10k range. All advice will be appreciated. THANKS.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Here's a link to the craigslist ad if anyone is interested.

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/2097814507.html

Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Jaguar only ever fitted a straight-six or a V-12 to the XJS model. The V6 petrol engine came much later and is a Ford engine, I have one myself in my UK XJ6 3 litre and a lovely engine it is too, but so is the straight six on the car you have been looking at.

These AJ16 engines were one of, in not the most reliable and well built Jaguar engines. I would not think the check engine light relates to anything serious, but I may be wrong, of course. Plug coils are a favourite failure point, apparently.

Dont be put off by it not being a V12, it is almost as good, and uses a lot less petrol, and costs less to maintain and repair, (the V12 is still a wonderful engine, of course).

Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

IMO you’ll be much happier with the 4.0 six. I’ve owned a V-12 car (’83 XJS) and currently drive a ’95 AJ16 as my DD. I commute in it every day in Tampa rush hour traffic (almost 3 years) and it hasn’t given me the slightest trouble. I bought my car with 34,000 miles and it now has 66K plus. The six cylinder car handles better (no HEAVY V12 up front), brakes, shocks and bushings last longer because the 6 cyl. weighs so much less; it gets decent gas mileage (high teens – low twenties) and is easy to work on and fairly inexpensive to maintain and repair. The V12 is a PIA to work on. There is no room in the engine bay, you have to take the top of the motor apart to do anything, parts and supporting systems are doubled in many cases (12 cyl. config.) and immense trapped underhood heat ruins everything. IMO the XJS is much more suited to the 6 cylinder engine – that V12 is just too big and heavy and you can feel it being pushed around. Put me down for the six cylinder car…

Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks Roger and Fraser. I've definitely decided on the V6. Anyone got any idea what the sound coming from the front passenger wheel area could be? As I said earlier, you can feel it in the steering, especially while turning. Sounds as if something that should be stationary is moving -- almost like metal on metal. I really want to buy the car but I will be very disappointed if I buy it and it ends up in the shop right off the bat. What about the price. Is $10,500 too much to pay considering the miles (65k), the check engine light, and the yet to be idendtified wheel noise?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

I will be very disappointed if I buy it and it ends up in the shop right off the bat.

Well, it has a check engine light and a strange metallic noise....so you KNOW it's gonna end up in the shop right away ! Either problem could be minor...or serious. Can't say at this point.

A 10-12-15 y/o used car needing no repairs at all would be a rare find indeed but paying top dollar for one with two obvious mystery problems might not be the wisest idea. Will the owner allow an inspection by a good Jag shop? It would be nice to get at least a rough idea on the problems before agreeing on a price.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Well, it has a check engine light and a strange metallic noise....so you KNOW it's gonna end up in the shop right away ! Either problem could be minor...or serious. Can't say at this point.

A 10-12-15 y/o used car needing no repairs at all would be a rare find indeed but paying top dollar for one with two obvious mystery problems might not be the wisest idea. Will the owner allow an inspection by a good Jag shop? It would be nice to get at least a rough idea on the problems before agreeing on a price.

Cheers
DD
Doug: Thanks for this and your other responses. I understand that an older car is going to need periodic maintainance, and I'm fine with that. It can be part of the joy of ownership. However, and as you said, I don't want to pay for a bunch of problems. The closests Jag shop is an hour away, but there is a import autos mechanic in town. The owner said I was welcome to take it in for a quick inspection. Any idea about what the noise coming from the wheel could be. The car drives very smoothly and sounds great.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

You should be able to pull a DTC for the Check Engine light and make a decision based on the code. The DTC could be indicative of a leaky headgasket, which is usually caused by poor cooling system maintenance - old coolant turns acidic deteriorating the headgasket and causing it to leak, which could cause sensors to detect the effects of the leak thus tripping the Check Engine light.

The noise in the front end could be a wheel bearing needing repacking and adjustment. I would doubt the wheel bearings have ever been repacked. Not a difficult nor time consuming job. Now if the noise IS wheel bearing related I'd check the stub axle for wear. Replacing front stub axles can be fairly expensive in terms of parts and time and I would deduct that cost from the price.

Due diligence...

Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Your local import shop should be fine for a basic inspection.

They can check for trouble codes as Roger said and then you'll have an idea what you might be in for on the engine light.

A visual inspection of steering, suspension, brakes, and underbody might---hopefully--- reveal the source of the noise.

Good luck
DD

Old 12-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Doug: thanks again. I have contacted the local guy and, assuming their computer is equipped for the '94 XJS, they are going to pick the car up and take a look at it tis afternoon. I'll be sure to post whatever they find. Did you happen to take a look at the craigslist link I provided above? I'd like to know what others thought of the car based on the appearance. To my knowledge, there are no other XJS where I live so I really have nothing to compare this one to. I'd like to know if this one at least looks like a good find. Thanks.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cassidy, to check that front wheel you'd need to jack the car up on that corner and see if it wobbles or seems loose when you pull it back and forth. If it does -
worn bearings.

Anyway I expect you'll find out from the inspection if you haven't already.

R.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Unbelievable. I call to see if I can have the car inspected and they tell me it was sold less than half an hour before I called. There is only one more in my area for sale. A '96 that has a football (american) sized dent on the side and the A/C doesn't work (supposedly due to a leak in evap. coil). It has 50k and priced at $10,800. How expensive is the A/C problem? What about the price? Anyone have any specific info on th '96 V6?

Last edited by cassidy; 12-10-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

The evap coil is a BIG job....20 hours labor is my guess at whatever the prevailing labor rate is on your area.

A dent that big could easily be several hundred dollars to repair

Cheers
DD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice regarding 1994 XJS