XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Alternator/Blower Position Swap and Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts
Default Alternator/Blower Position Swap and Mod

Hello All. It's been a while. Been digging into a 1986 Porsche 928 and,,, wait for it,,, turning a 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade into a "Bobber" or a Cafe Racer. But still:

I just removed (long last) the alternator from my 1990 Jaguar XJS Convertible. I did it all from the top and to do this I removed the breather on the RH side and yes,,, the belt driven blower. What a thing! I've never liked the blower, there. In the way, doesn't work for much all and all I don't think.... It's chilly here today, I should point out, and that damn blower added to my exposure. Anywho

Question - The bracket from the blower looks like it would/could accept the alternator... It might take some rigging,,, I see this in my minds eye,,, but it seems like the long belt that goes to the a.c. (which I am still working on) down to the main crank pull wheel could be made to run my new alternator... Then, I could use the arm that was used to tension the blower for the Alt??? Anyone ever heard of this? Please say yes, lol.

Also,,, what needs to happen to do away with the blower???

Early tear down

Baybee Boo

Last edited by JayJagJay; 12-18-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

I know it's possible, because the previous owner of my car did just that! It's actually causing me some grief at the moment, because I think the aftermarket alternator he installed is either failing, or not up to the task of supporting the Jag's electrical system and causing issues with the engine management.

Removing the air injection is doable, but if you live in a state with smog checks your car will fail smog without the air injection system. I have to keep my car registered to my address in Tennessee even though I live in California for this reason. Remove the pump, remove the air rails and the tricky bit is fashioning something to plug the holes left behind by the rails in the intake manifold. It does make working in the "V" much more accessible but not worth it IMO because of the hoops I have to jump through to keep it registered.

Anyway, here's a picture of what it looks like, if you need any more detailed pictures I can supply them.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Hey Ec...

That's just what I wanted to hear. I know that I have heard it here and there on the forum bit search results were tough. But yes, from the photo, that's where I would like to see my alt. As far as the rails, removing them was the first thing i went after way back when, thanks to some good guidance by the guys here (Grant esp if I remember rightly)... I just plugged the holes on the intake with some cv and right sized screws. Wow,,, I been at this a long time. Anyways

my question is more specifically about mounting the Alt. Have folks simply used the bracket and pivots that were once used for the blower? The bracket seem like it might be pretty close to exact fit. It was tooooo cold today to stay out any longer for messing around with it. Once the sun started getting low and I had removed bother the blower and the Alt I bee lined it into the house for some heat and a coffee.

any pointers, or even close up snaps of that set up you have there might lead me right.

thanks so much!

Last edited by JayJagJay; 12-18-2018 at 05:32 PM.