XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Bluetooth Adaptor

Old 09-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth Adaptor

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone had installed a bluetooth adapter to their OEM radio.

I would like to do it so instead of replacing the radio in order to keep the interior original

Any inputs for speakers upgrade please,

Thanks

Sylvain

Old 09-04-2017, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The OEM Philips speakers are not bad. They benefit from re-mounting them properly onto a plywood frame mounted to the door, NOT the door card as they are mounted.

I did replace mine because 2 were faulty, my fronts are Alpine ATM as I had an old pair these will be replaced by Mark Audio Aplair 10, my rear are 8" Response mid/woofers which act as small subwoofers.

So I run 4ohm fronts and 8ohm rears until I get around to replacing the fronts. I am not a fan of 4 ohm speakers.

No idea about a BT adapter as I replaced my head unit with BT compatible Jensen.

Last edited by warrjon; 09-04-2017 at 01:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sylvain (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,400 Likes on 621 Posts

I recently did this with a Saab and am still debating this route or going with a new head unit. I agree with you - the modern head units often look out of place.

First, you need a decent FM modulator to add aux-in.
This is the one I used This is the one I used

Now that you have a way to feed the original head unit a new source, you need a Bluetooth device between your phone and the aux-in. I tried several of them but this is the one I ended up using in the Saab. It does audio streaming and allows you to make voice calls.

Sound quality is decent - better than a cassette adapter. This type of FM Modulator "turns off" the antenna feed so the signal quality is much better.

If I do go with a new head unit
this is the one I will be using this is the one I will be using
. I have put this brand in my MGB's and Range Rovers and although they are very inexpensive, they are well made and sound great.

Sylvain (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,400 Likes on 621 Posts

Oops - I missed a link.
Here is the Bluetooth adapter Here is the Bluetooth adapter
I used.

Originally Posted by Thorsen
I recently did this with a Saab and am still debating this route or going with a new head unit. I agree with you - the modern head units often look out of place.

First, you need a decent FM modulator to add aux-in. This is the one I used.

Now that you have a way to feed the original head unit a new source, you need a Bluetooth device between your phone and the aux-in. I tried several of them but this is the one I ended up using in the Saab. It does audio streaming and allows you to make voice calls.

Sound quality is decent - better than a cassette adapter. This type of FM Modulator "turns off" the antenna feed so the signal quality is much better.

If I do go with a new head unit this is the one I will be using. I have put this brand in my MGB's and Range Rovers and although they are very inexpensive, they are well made and sound great.

Sylvain (09-04-2017)