XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Brianstorm or ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Brianstorm or ... ?

My ’95 XJS is getting to the point, because of age, mileage and general wear and tear, where it needs substantial cosmetic work (paint, leather, wood, carpets) to return the car to its glory. I’m now making plans and gathering materials for this work.
As part of the process I thought it would be a good time to make the car more “user friendly“.
First off, I’d like to ditch the air bags. I don’t like air bags and I am well aware of the manufacturer's claim that they are effective and safe for the life of the vehicle. OK… but they’re still twenty years old…
I could use a glove box a lot more than the air bag and a different steering wheel than the ugly, oe, air bag wheel that’s currently installed. I’d also like to replace the useless rear seat with a trimmed and carpeted storage box as in the earlier convertibles.
To be sure I’d retain all of the replaced parts so the car could be returned to its original configuration when it is sold. I could quite easily leave it as original. Just thinkin’; any thoughts or ideas on my pipe dream?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

I Just got my car out of the painters last week and I had new leather installed before I dropped her of. She has a new ski slope and new headlamps too. Carpet is on the back burner because the custom made mats I got from an E bay seller really disguise what's underneath perfectly.

I would be very cautious about removing the airbags. Why do you want to remove them?...... I have never heard of anyone with a facelift whose bags just expontanously deployed. I would suggest trying to make a glove box from the panel that's directly underneath the passanger airbag. It seems like they should have been able to work something in there from the factory.

One of the best, experience changing upgrades I did to my car was to install a new deck with satellite radio/USB and aux ports and blue tooth. As much as I am on the phone it's more of a safety issue since I have the hands free capability now.

Other things..dont know... How do you feel about a rear seat delete?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM

"I would be very cautious about removing the airbags. Why do you want to remove them?...... I have never heard of anyone with a facelift whose bags just expontanously deployed. I would suggest trying to make a glove box from the panel that's directly underneath the passanger airbag. It seems like they should have been able to work something in there from the factory."

I agree and this is pretty much the cause of my "confusion". The area under the passenger side air bag is the knee bolster which is safety padding to prevent leg injuries. That I like. I installed a new audio system w/Sirrius Radio some years ago a great upgrade. A "cubby" where the rear seat is may be doable. To be sure removing the airbags gives me the "heebeegeebees". The only practical thing to do, I think, would be to fit a complete earlier dash.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Both airbags are non electrical and are simple to remove with a little bit of googleing. I believe that the glove box will just take the place of the airbag and the rear seats can be removed...(if doeskin, send 'em my way near Orlando.....)

Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

I know for sure that I have seen a post where a member with a facelift car has changed out his airbag wheel for another without and kept the rest of the dash in place. You should be able to do the same and also remove the passenger airbag, I imagine.

I personally like that late eighties looking steering wheel with the airbag.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 PM

" I personally like that late eighties looking steering wheel with the airbag. "

That's the one I like. I don't like the later style - cheap looking plastic, even if the rim is leather covered. To be sure the wood rimmed wheel is sharp.