XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Broke Light Diverter for Transmission Selector

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Default Broke Light Diverter for Transmission Selector

The funnel looking piece at the transmission shifted crumbled, probably from years of blazing heat from the bulb in the shifter. I was replacing the bulb with an LED (it's a 194 Type bulb) when it happened.

Before I make the attempt to make one, would anyone have one of these? It's A part of the DAC10460 assembly.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Don't have one, but in case someone else doesn't chime in I wanted to make a suggestion.

By funnel I am assuming you mean the part the bulb actually goes into. You can readily by sockets, but perhaps a little modification is necessary to get it to stick into the bracket correctly. Still, easier than spending the time mocking up the old crumbled part in CAD and then 3d printing it.

Here is just one example I picked it because it looked narrower than some others, so it more closely resembles the parts diagram.

Amazon Amazon

Sorry if I am incorrect on my assumption of what you mean by "funnel piece." That was simply found by searching "type 194 bulb socket." Be sure the amperage rating is good and remember the LED will use less power, so if its good for the original bulb you should be gtg

Old 06-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Thanks for the help, but the socket is fine. There's a cone like piece that goes over the bulb to direct or focus the light to just shine, or light up the specific gear you're in. Right now in Drive, the light bleeds to N, R, etc

Old 06-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I know the bit you mean it's like an upside down funnel. DO you know anyone with a lathe? You could easily make one in aluminium with a lathe quicker than printing one.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
I know the bit you mean it's like an upside down funnel. DO you know anyone with a lathe? You could easily make one in aluminium with a lathe quicker than printing one.
I'm not sure I do. I had pictured a lathe in my head as the proper solution here as well. I'll figure this out...I'll keep you posted...

Old 06-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Perhaps, in view of the LED, nothing is needed. LEDS seem to have a narrower light beam than the older incandecents.

Or, start with a chunk of plastic, drill, saw and and sand to size.

Not sure where it came from, but, I have a chunk of clear in my bits, I think. some day, I may use it....

Carl

Old 06-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Not a bad option. I'll take some measurements and share with the forum so that any other person can fix it in the future. I won't be the only idiot, I hope.

There is way too much light bleed even with the very narrow bulb I purchased

Old 06-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Perhaps, in view of the LED, nothing is needed. LEDS seem to have a narrower light beam than the older incandecents.

Or, start with a chunk of plastic, drill, saw and and sand to size.

Not sure where it came from, but, I have a chunk of clear in my bits, I think. some day, I may use it....

Carl
That is IF you bought a focused LED. Many now are designed to throw light as a regular bulb would.

Btw my bad, I glanced at the funnel part in the assembly and assumed it was the socket it since it looked like one, but I can see that isn't the case upon further inspection.

It doesn't need to be pretty since it is hidden away. Idk if I would bother with a lathe. Probably buy some nylon stock at a hardware store and drill/cut it appropriately on each end. No need for it to be really tapered, a single step is all that seems necessary. Even without a drill press, a vice or clamp and a hand drill would be certainly doable. That or a very simple 3d model based on a few measurements that could be 3d printed at a local maker space or the like.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Aluminum tubing. Cut to length. Parchment paper and JB weld work well together. Stand the tube up on parchment and form a base with JB weld ( not JB quick ). When hardened, the parchment will release from the JB and leave a beautifully smooth surface. wait a full day and you can file the JB like aluminum to perfect the base.

Its like old-school version of 3-D printing.

edit: Parchment paper is for baking. I don't want you brits to glue an alluminum tube to your heraldry.

Last edited by JigJag; 06-27-2017 at 06:44 AM.