XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Can you stack two Jaguar XJS in the garage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Can you stack two Jaguar XJS in the garage?

Is there any inexpensive redneck way to stack two Jaguar XJS ontop of each other without spending $2000 on a car lift to store a parts car?

Old 05-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Received 303 Likes on 200 Posts

You'd probably built a half floor, and some temporary ramps. It would still be hundreds of dollars. I love my lift

Old 05-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

a lift is 100% worth it. If you can install yourself you can be in it about $1500

Old 05-13-2017, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Or invest in a s/h 2post hoist - if you can fit the height, it doubles for servicing as well as storage - or is that what you guys call a lift?

Cheers,

Ken

Old 05-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Get a lift, you won't regret it

Old 05-13-2017, 11:38 AM

If you can only have one lift a 2 post lift is the way to go. You can't do brake and suspension jobs, which are probably the most common service jobs, on corner post lifts.

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Or invest in a s/h 2post hoist - if you can fit the height, it doubles for servicing as well as storage - or is that what you guys call a lift?

Cheers,

Ken
To me a hoist = an engine crane

Old 05-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Indeed! Ten years ago I bought a 4-post lift and its really quite like the cell phone, I can't imagine life without one now. Why didn't I do it years earlier? I originally thought, oh, I don't have enough ceiling height and oh, it'll be expensive, and oh, it'll take up too much floor space, oh it isn't that hard to use ramps and jackstands, excuse after excuse. It wasn't until I was planning a body-off restoration of a Corvette that I finally bought one and never regretted it. You won't either.

As to whether you can stack two cars in your own garage, you have to do some measurements and consider
1) thickness of the lift ramps which are going to be four or five inches thick
2) the distance between the mechanical catches of the lift's safety lock mechanism which may be every 4, 6 or 8 inches (you can't just raise it to any height you want and leave it there long-term, rather you lift it let it settle back down on the locks and relieve the hydraulic pressure for storage)
3) whatever is mounted on your ceiling, light fixtures, garage door opener, etc.

If you plan to use the 4-post lift for suspension work, I bought a pair of scissor jacks to go with my lift so that I can easily lift the whole car off the ramps. I love it because it like putting your car on top of your work bench. Which is another excuse invalidated. So what if you can't raise your car high enough to walk under it. It's still so much easier to work on the brakes at workbench height or get you a little mechanics stool and work underneath while sitting down rather than lying on your back.

The only things I can't do that I'd need a 2-post lift for would be to drop entire engine subframe out the bottom, like on a front-wheel drive or rear-engine car. A rear subframe or solid axle can be done with a four post and optional scissor jack tho a 2-post would make it much easier. But since your primary purpose is parking, definitely get the 4-post so that its easy to drive on and off, plus you can opt for the drip pans that sit between the ramps to protect the car below.

And go ahead a pay a few hundred dollars to have a 4-post lift delivered and assembled. If you have the door height, they'd even bring them pre-assembled on a special trailer. But if you've only a standard 7 foot high garage door, those pieces are dangerously heavy and the experts have equipment and know special techniques for handling them. Its well worth the money and you'll have no regrets, wondering how you ever lived without it before.

Last edited by pdupler; 05-13-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:59 PM

Two post lifts are cheaper, but they need to be bolted down. Four post lifts often come with wheels and can be moved around.

The biggest reason I went with a four post is because I tend to bring home cars with rusty sills! If you need to work on a wheel you just it up in the lift and raise the lift to a comfortable working height. They make fancy jacks for that purpose but I just use a normal jack.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 275nart
To me a hoist = an engine crane
Well there you go . . . after all these years of adapting boot & trunk, bonnet & hood, fuel/petrol & gas (which it isn't) that bedevil all our countries' usage of international English . . . this is one that is new to me . . . and a useful reminder that we delude ourselves by thinking we speak a common language.

Usage of the term "hoist" is universal for the 2 or 4 post thingies used to raise and service cars - both here and (IIRC) most of Europe, while "lifts" are what people use to move from floor to floor in buildings. Academic perhaps . . . but noted to avoid future confusion.

What is agreed is how useful these hoists/lifts are.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 05-15-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Well there you go . . . after all these years of adapting boot & trunk, bonnet & hood, fuel/petrol & gas (which it isn't) that bedevil all our countries' usage of international English . . . this is one that is new to me . . . and a useful reminder that we delude ourselves by thinking we speak a common language.

Usage of the term "hoist" is universal for the 2 or 4 post thingies used to raise and service cars - both here and (IIRC) most of Europe, while "lifts" are what people use to move from floor to floor in buildings. Academic perhaps . . . but noted to avoid future confusion.

What is agreed is how useful these hoists/lifts are.

Cheers,

Ken
Ken,

You forgot ground/earth

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (05-16-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 01:56 PM

The worst is torch and flashlight. The Haynes manual says to verify petrol level using a torch...

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagsandmgs:
cat_as_trophy (05-16-2017), ronbros (05-30-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 02:13 AM
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Basically what PDUPLER said , I have had my 4 poster at home for over 35 years and it is worth its weight in gold .I purchased the 4 poster as I feel it is more stable especially when working on big heavy 4WD's .It pays to think ahead.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member

Ah yes . . . the good old ground vs earth . . . I agree, the gran'daddy and I missed it. Thanks for the pickup. But, very briefly, the following tweaked a gem I was unaware of until recently . . .

Originally Posted by Jagsandmgs
The worst is torch and flashlight. The Haynes manual says to verify petrol level using a torch...
Haynes has produced out of both UK and USA, Jaguar workshop manuals according to market ie using words, pics etc derived from total strip and rebuild of either RHD or LHD models. Needing to maintain and service all RHD cars here, I have become aware of several models, especially on the XJ platform, for which both manuals are available. Perhaps, if their interpreters succeeded, this may help some among our international membership.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 05-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,147 Likes on 671 Posts

I went for the 2 post clear floor style Lift / Hoist. I have been a Mechanic all my life and ride a motorcycle. I've had both legs broke 4 inches below the hip. And several other mishaps. So I've been very rough on my old bones and now I'm getting older, (59 in July) I swore I'd have a lift, as it hurts like HE double hockey sticks getting up and down off a creeper. Well I built my shop in 2007 and Installed the lift about 2015. I can't tell you in a thousand words how much I love my Lift! I used to hate pulling a transmission out on my chest, now I stand up and use a trans jack. It don't get no better then that. So forget the redneck Ideas and buy the lift / hoist of your choice. I bought my lift for $1845 delivered. If you can "READ INSTRUCTIONS", operate a drill and use hand wrenches you can install a lift. Spend a few bucks, and enjoy working on your car again, safely!

89 Jacobra

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (05-30-2017)