XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Classic Car Shows in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts
Cool Classic Car Shows in Japan

Well, local car shows, at least. But they still featured some impressive machines which had, in some cases, come from as far away as Tokyo. A definite preponderance of Japanese cars, to be sure, and not nearly as many Jags as they needed, but it was still a good chance to see cars you just never see on the road, at least out here, and to chat a bit with fellow nutcasesenthusiasts.

These photos are from three shows: Fukui, Wajima, and Kanazawa. I unofficially exhibited at the first (the parking lot next to the main square featured quite a lot of nice stuff), officially exhibited at the second, and walked to the third as (a) there was no parking there, and (b) they only allowed cars from 1974 or older.

Virtually all these cars were licenced and registered, though a few of them--the custom hot rods--would not actually have been road-legal as exhibited.

Aside from a heavy emphasis on older domestic models, there were a lot of sports cars and things like Corvettes. Classic luxury models were rather thinner on the ground. The only one that really counted was the Silver Cloud. And no Yank Tanks, either, which was a bit disappointing.

Here's the full album:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/g/album/10025473
But in the meantime, a few samples....

Unlike the 2000GTs I saw at the Toyota Museum, this one was actually driven. With the owner's crap strewn over the passenger seat.

After these guys got out, they pressed a button to lower the car even further, so it was essentially resting on the ground.

Yes, that's KITT. In fact there were two KITTs, one from Season 1, one from Season 2. Complete with interiors.

The first Countach I've ever seen in real life. Not sure about that interior velour. The sort of car Zapp Brannigan would drive.

Lady Mary got her fair share of attention, I'm pleased to report.

The following 2 users liked this post by Some Day, Some Day:
Doug (06-13-2018), orangeblossom (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Superb Rich Colours, if only I could take Photos like that!

The following users liked this post:
Some Day, Some Day (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Did I just see a Citroen BX parked next to a Rolls Royce? Childhood memories! Didn't even know they exported to Japan!?

Old 06-13-2018, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

I guess so - I didn't give it a second glance, as all my attention was focused on the Rolls. So unfortunately I don't have any better quality photos. I can't say about the BX, but Citroen certainly export to Japan. There's a large dealership about ten minutes drive from me, for example. I've seen a number of 2CVs around as well.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

The 2CV aka Dolly wasn't that special. The BX was a great car. The smaller Citroen to receive their hydropneumatic suspension, but in a sportier setup. Also available as a 1.9l GTI model. Boy was that an awesome car. We had a 1.4TGE which was a great long distance cruiser. 100 mph on the autobahn... Easily!

Also, that sexy 2000GT... They need to be driven. There are so many which just live in museums. That is wrong! Cars are there to be driven not to stand...

Oh, and Zapp? I hear some Futurama pun coming!

Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

I've never driven it, or even been in it, but the 2CV is very cute. The Citroen DS is a cool car, and one my wife rather likes, too. They cost buckets of ducats these days, though. Check out the price of this one: https://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/de...ml?TRCD=200002
(that's over 70,000 euros, not including on-road costs).

Cars definitely need to be driven. Someone advertising a classic car with "Only 8,000 km!" is sending up huge warning signs. Sure, the interior might be pristine and the paintwork immaculate, but the tyres are probably factory-fitted and every seal and joint and gasket will leak like a sieve when you try to drive it any distance.

Can't think of any Futurama puns, sorry. Though I do wonder if he actually does go commando under that velour....