XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cold Weather Package...Haven't seen this

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 06:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cold Weather Package...Haven't seen this

Appears this example had the "cold weather package" fitted....lower radiator hose coolant heater, heated seats, heated headlight washers. Have never seen one with the lower hose heater constructed with the heater molded in, as part of the hose assy, rather than using clamps. Am guessing this hose is right near the top of that NLA list 8-))

Attached Thumbnails Cold Weather Package...Haven't seen this-lower-hose-heater.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ptjs1 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,966 Posts

NorthCat,

I spent a long time about 2 years ago trying to get an owner to show me a pic of the orientation of the heater unit as I was fitting one to my car and could really have done with seeing your car then! In the end I had to just guess the best way. See my final thread here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...heater-162494/

At the time, the standard hose was NLA from Jaguar and the only one available was the "heater" hose! Now the standard hose is available (at £200!) and the heater hose seems NLA. However, Jaguar might just have a few left. Let me know if you need one and I'll ask them.

Paul

NorthCat (08-30-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 12:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had intended to reply earlier, but got caught up today in doing struts on the family grocery-getter Taurus station wagon (estate 8-)). Spring had fractured a year ago, and I was getting tired of playing Russian Roulette, waiting for it to rotate into the tire and cause The Accident.

Manufacturing-with-no-thought-to-serviceability at its best.....required lowering the motor/trans subframe a couple of inches on each side to install the lower part of the strut in the steering knuckle. Along with the aluminum casting and steel pinch bolt embracing each other in a very close galvanic interactive condition. I am too old for this. And could rant for hours. 8-0

I whole-heartedly agree with your assessment that much motor wear can be reduced by starting with a warm body. Growing up here in the Northland (on a farm), then spending 30 years in the Engineering groups with two of the major snowmobile manufacturers in the U.S., I became intimately involved with Operation In The Cold. Warm is Good. I have used about every pre-heating device known to man, over time. When I was younger, having a method of warming your vehicle was not just a "nice thing to have", it was absolutely necessary, if you were to have a chance of firing it up at -35 F, esp. given the oils of the day. Modern 0-W oils have helped that, but I still cringe when I see people firing up something so cold. Interestingly, the inventor of the "headbolt heater" in the late 1940's was located just a few miles from here. Necessity being the Mother, and all that.

I certainly would have been glad to post a pic for you, had I been in possession of this toy at the time. I wonder how many do not realize they have a heater, hidden by the airbox, as it is ? It appears you are somewhere within an inch or so of the factory installation, so I would call that close enough 8-). I enjoyed your post...well done, with photos and data and all that good stuff !

The predominant type of heater that is used here is the "block heater", which, as you are probably aware, is the same type of element as in our application, but placed in one of the "frost plug" locations on the side of the block casting. The one I put in my son's 1.6 Honda screwed into the block in place of a large coolant drain plug. Very neat and pretty. Lower hose heaters see some use, but are a bit particular in how much of a "slope" there is from the hose to the motor. If used in an application not suitable, the hose will get hot, but that is about it. They can also be a bit particular about where the thermostat is located, and if there is any bypass to allow for some of that thermosyphoning to do its work. Obviously, as demonstrated by your data, it does work in this instance, though.

I do have a bit of an issue with the way Jaguar configures installation of this heater. We never, ever, installed with the element at the top. The difficulty you encountered with purging air is evidence of Not A Good Thing. Powered on, just for a few seconds, without immersion, these elements are fairly high watt-density, and will say goodnight. With an open element such as this, installation of the unit so the element is at 5:00 or lower is preferred. No "bleeding" required. I have a heater that is completely smooth in the area of coolant flow...the element is sealed, surrounding the interior. A nice, clean-looking installation. Will post a pic if you wish.

To do it completely "right" in this clime, a number of cords are required.....one for the battery heater, one for the oil, one for the coolant, one for the trans (if auto), and, if you are dieseling down the road, one for the fuel.

I would certainly be interested to hear if Jaguar has any of these hose assy's in stock, thank you. But, given that you indicated a non-heated hose was £200, I shudder to think..... On that, are there any decent aftermarket hoses are available that you would recommend ? I hear good and not-so-good about the URO parts...although the price over here is certainly reasonable.

Allen

Last edited by NorthCat; 08-31-2017 at 12:58 AM.
ptjs1 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I purchased my 1994 3 years ago from the east coast it had that exact same thing and when I noticed the wall plug it took a while to figure out what it was "block heater". I removed it - no need for that in Southern California.