XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

constant interior lights and seatbelt buzz

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default constant interior lights and seatbelt buzz

I've got a '90 XJS conv. If the driver's side seat belt isn't fastened, the interior lights come on and the seat belt warning buzzer chimes. which is great, except it does it all the time, even when the key is out of the car. It just does it all the time. The passenger side seat belt wires have been cut, so I don't know if I have the same problem with that seat. I should disconnect the battery, but I'm just leaving the seat belt buckled and going to bed. My turn signals stopped working, but I'm not at all sure that's related. Can anyone tell me what might give the seat belt buzzer and interior lights constant power? maybe a stuck relay? I looked at the wiring diagrams that are online, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which wires might be shorted. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Greetings Cameron and welcome aboard.

First thing to do is get coffee, followed by posting a brief intro in the New Member - Intro a Must section. This is not just a formality. As well as a red carpet welcome you will get good advice as to how best to use the forums - like the invaluable Sticky 'How To' at the top of the thread listing. All the manuals, wiring diagrams Jaguar TSBs and a wealth of other resources are there for you to download . . . and it's free! Grab all relevant to your car model & year.

Next, print out the relevant pages of wiring diagrams & notes. These in printed form are far less confusing than scrolling and zooming on a device. Finally, some general advice about the electrics and electronics in your car. Like many '90s on vehicles, your Jaguar is likely to use switching on the ground side rather than in the power feed side as in many a yester year car. Knowing this, many a fault is driven by an unintended grounding in a circuit. Chafed wiring touching body parts and internal corrosion are known issues.

Best wishes and keep us posted on your issue.
Cheers,

Ken