XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Dayton wire wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Dayton wire wheels

One of the center caps on my Dayton wire wheels will not tighten down completely. It won't tighten down on the backing plate so it spins freely but does not come off.

Anyone have a similar experience? Is this repairable or do I need to get a new center cap from Dayton and change out the center cap emblem - mine have the jaguar face. Dayton tells me they don't make those anymore.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi BradsCat!

I just recently had to change the inner tube on my wire wheels, and when putting the center cap back on, I also found it to be loose despite the screw through the backing plate being tightened all the way.

I had found that the piece of metal/backing plate that resides inside the center of the wheel that is used to hold the center cap in place with the screw, was actually the wrong way around, and as it is angled in a certain way, no tightening of the screw would hold the center cap down completely.

Turned the backing plate around, and we're back in business.

Hopefully your fix is as simple as this little mistake I had made, otherwise you may need to look at new old stock online for the specific Dayton made center caps, or see if you can use center caps made by other suppliers of wire wheels (which shouldn't be much of a stretch if all they are is a cap that is held on with a screw through the backing plate/piece of metal.

Pictures of the ones I have for reference:

Motor Wheel Service - Motor Wheel Service

Motor Wheel Service - Motor Wheel Service

Last edited by ThunderRoad; 01-29-2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Included photos.
The following users liked this post:
BradsCat (01-30-2017)