XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Decision time on tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decision time on tranny

My 93 XJS ZF4HP24E9, (113K miles) is slipping quite badly almost not getting me home, and towards the end not shifting at all. it was very much like driving a car with a badly worn or non existent clutch. There were no AT warning lights that came on during the limp home or at any time. it had been shifting a little hard with some slippage a few weeks earlier, and I checked the fluid level and added about 1/4 of a quart. I have not taken it to have an estimate done to rebuild the tranny or do the repairs. There seems to be a lot of stories about poor automatic trannies in Jag, with a lot of components that can go out or not operate properly. Personally I would rather have a clutch and manual tranny. I would like to draw on the experience of the collective for advice. I'm assuming a rebuild will be required and repairs will not be something small like a valve body cleaning or some other small repair. What are the pitfalls to watch for with either a rebuilt or a replacement to manual?

Thanks in advance, the car is a joy to drive when the tranny works well.........but that's another story.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

Just a few suggestions and questions about a manual. How much do you want to spend and will you do the work yourself? Five or six sp. Most six sp's have two overdrives, do you need two OD's? Figure around $6K plus, doing the work yourself with 5sp kit, IMO the kit is the only way to go. Trans. Gear ratio's are a consideration so are aluminum or steel flywheel, high torque starter. My ECU had to be reworked (Roger Bywater, A6). Mine is a 91 so your 93 may be different in some ways. DIY, must use a lift or trans jack for doing it on the floor. Completely different car if you don't mind driving a "stick shift".

Last edited by 44lawrence; 10-31-2016 at 09:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sledgemuffin (10-31-2016)