XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Early '89 wipers: only work on intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early '89 wipers: only work on intermittent

Hi all, they also park ok and the wash works, but low and high speed don't come on. I've swapped the switch out for another junkyard part. Is it a bad switch or is there some fuse or relay that controls low and high speeds but not Intermittent speed? Wiring diagram doesn't seem to indicate that but nothing electric on this car makes much sense to me

Old 09-18-2017, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Wells
Hi all, they also park ok and the wash works, but low and high speed don't come on. I've swapped the switch out for another junkyard part. Is it a bad switch or is there some fuse or relay that controls low and high speeds but not Intermittent speed? Wiring diagram doesn't seem to indicate that but nothing electric on this car makes much sense to me
Make sure the black wire from switch assembly is running to ground. A while since I've been into that part of the wiring but l recall that ground wire is separate from the multiplug and connects by way of simple bullet connector.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Looking at the diagram, I agree with Baxtor. The Intermittent mode gets it's ground elsewhere while slow and fast get it from that bullet connector. I think that bullet connector is <edit> in the corner on passenger side under hood.

Goes to Black Wire. Pin 2. Supply pin 2 with a ground to check that this is the problem.

<edit> I see now that there is a second bullet connector between the ground and the wiper motor. Possibly a dirty pin or pin contact, or broken lead after pin connector.

Fig.15.1 in s57 electrical diagrams.

Last edited by JigJag; 09-19-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

VIN is very important here as the change in the wiper wiring is significant. To help you we need to know which version of the wiring to use so we will need the VIN to give you the correct information.